Bowel cancer test kit

Chiana

Sorry if I have already posted about this, tried a search but I may of used a different title.
Anyhow, my dad got one through the post and used it. He had abnormalities so went for an endoscope, think that's what it is called. Found out straight away it was cancer. Had a cat scan and it was not showing in the other organs. My dad had his operation on Thursday and is possible coming out today, then it is just a little wait to see if it has gone into the lymph glands.
The thing is, without the test kit, he would not of known and it could of gone on and spread to other areas.
If you get a kit, please just do it, it could save your life.

So sorry you and your family are having to go through this. I completely agree with you and think people should accept any screening that is offered to them. Sending big hugs to you xx

That's really good news, that your dad found the cancer. I wish him all the best with his treatment. Point him in the direction of the Macmillan site, it's full of excellent information and there is forum too, so he can talk to others going through the same thing. Have a look yourself as well, there's lots of support for families too. x

I've never heard of these kits - do they send them out to a certain "high risk" demographic? Either way I think it's fantastic, how wonderful that the NHS have the resources and initiative to do things like this in order to catch these things early.

I hope your dad makes a full and speedy recovery.

Aww thank you everyone, he seems to be fine, came home at 4.30pm last night. Got plenty of tablets to take, so we have put them into pill boxes for him, so he knows which to take.
His friends chucked their kits out, some people just don't want to do them.
He is going to show off his scar to them when he get's rid of the staples.
Can't remember the exact age group, maybe 60yr but it does end at 74yrs, dads appointment was just before his birthday.

Hubby got his just after his 60th birthday. He was reluctant to do it at first (funny bugger on all things personal) but eventually did. He wouldn't even let me post it back for him - it was in a sealed bottle, in a sealed pocket then in an envelope (all supplied)!!
Luckily, he was all clear but it is important to get these tests done. Some of these cancers have little or no symptoms.

That's good news minimunchkins.

We got some very good news today, we went with dad for his results and he has got the all clear, no cancer what so ever, does not need any chemo or radiotherapy. Just has to go for check ups over the next five years.

I think it starts at aout 58yrs as my MIL got hers yesterday.
Glad your dad sent his back in and that things were actioned so prompltly - hope he has a smooth recovery hugs to all

- now if I could only convince my patients to get their smear tests and go for the follow up required I'd be a happy bunny. Don't like having to tell girls younger than me they have cancer.

Message of the day - things caught early can be sorted and save lives - please if you get a call up for any sort of screening - cervical/breast/bowel whatever just go do it!

I think it starts at aout 58yrs as my MIL got hers yesterday.
Glad your dad sent his back in and that things were actioned so prompltly - hope he has a smooth recovery hugs to all

- now if I could only convince my patients to get their smear tests and go for the follow up required I'd be a happy bunny. Don't like having to tell girls younger than me they have cancer.

Message of the day - things caught early can be sorted and save lives - please if you get a call up for any sort of screening - cervical/breast/bowel whatever just go do it!

I got put off my cervical smears when I had one 'abnormal' smear after having my Dort, the six week test, I was still bleeding. Then I had to have 2 smears at 3 months, then at 6 months. then they said yearly, fed up and lost faith in it then and didn't go for a few years, then I went back and it STILL says yearly, My Dort is now 20! Surely It would have developed before then! I go every three years.

Both hubby and I declined our Cholesterol checks!

I got put off my cervical smears when I had one 'abnormal' smear after having my Dort, the six week test, I was still bleeding. Then I had to have 2 smears at 3 months, then at 6 months. then they said yearly, fed up and lost faith in it then and didn't go for a few years, then I went back and it STILL says yearly, My Dort is now 20! Surely It would have developed before then! I go every three years.

Both hubby and I declined our Cholesterol checks!

They now suggest that smears aren't done til 12 weeks postnatal and if you had had normal smears after 2yrs you should be back on routine and if not you should have had further investigation - there have been quite aot of changes to smear testing in the past 10 yrs.

I'm so glad to hear that you're father's been given the all clear. My father had bowel cancer, so I know how anxious you must have felt whilst waiting for the results.

I think the bowel screening kits are a really good idea, but I wish they'd send them out at an earlier age. My father was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer in 2009, about a month before his 60th birthday. IMO 60 is too late...he must have had his cancer for quite a long time to have got to that stage, but wouldn't have had the kit for at least another few weeks. Luckily he had a good result with the cancer, so I just feel thankful that it was diagnosed in time :)

xx

phaeona said:
They now suggest that smears aren't done til 12 weeks postnatal and if you had had normal smears after 2yrs you should be back on routine and if not you should have had further investigation - there have been quite aot of changes to smear testing in the past 10 yrs.

I think the computer really likes me lol!

So glad the results have been favourable xxx

Back