Bread Help

HOFB

Hi

I have set the oven at Gas Mark 6 and 5 and on both occasions my Duken Bread attempt is not very good. The bread is browning on top but quite soggy in the middle and I cannot get it to rise what so ever. Made 4-5 attempts and each has been the same. Tried the microwave version too and same thing.

Fromage Frai
1 Egg
Yeast
Oat Bran

is all that I am using to make this. Any ideas?

I have made a few different ones before now. The one i make with yeast starts with whiskign the egg whites and adding the rest bit by bit. It doesn't really rise like real bread but it gives you that textrue which helps. The microwave one doesn't use yeast. If you do a search for bread on here there will be quite a few recipes, I put some up recently. will try to find it for you x

HOFB - are you using YEAST or BAKING POWDER? Big difference! The recipe with yeast needs time to rise before baking, I only ever use it for bread I make in the bread machine. If you want to do that one in the oven you ought to leave it to rise in a warm place before baking. The one with baking powder is the one for the oven or the microwave, and make sure the mix is not too wet, scale back your wet ingredients a bit. I use a very simple recipe, it's been kicking around here for years now (literally)

http://www.minimins.com/dukan-recipes/171959-dukan-bread-microwave-breadmaker.html

but it is important you use the right raising agent according to your baking method.

Hi

Thanks will give that a go tonight and may attempt both in the hope that one turns out better then what I have been getting so far.

It is definitely Yeast (also got Baking Powder) but thats not been opened yet. Seen some awesome pics of peoples bread so hoping to nail this as its the only way I can eat the Oat Bran. I don't have any Wheat Bran but just ordered some Suma ones from Amazon hope they are OK for Dukan Diet. Tried local Tesco's and they had nothing (was looking in the cereals area for it) :|

Thanks for you help.

Hi HOFB

Good luck with your bread!!

I get my wheatbran from my local Asda. It's in the cereal aisle. But I get my Oatbran from Tesco. They each don't stock the other one!!

Oh by the way, the recipe I use is the microwave one posted by anjuschka.

It's fab, and I usually cut it into soldiers to dip in my boiled eggs!!

I use the microwave one when I am in need and forgot to sort it, I bought a tiny silicon load tin from The Range, and its great. I have porridge too in the day so I only use half my bread and freeze the other half for two days time.

Oatbran and wheatbran can both be bought from H&B.
Oat Bran | Holland and Barrett lasts for ages, Iusually get when buy one get second half price.

Coarse Wheat Bran | Holland and Barrett lasts even longer, and ignore use by date, mine is already 3 months out of date and still tastes the same. LOL

The best bread by far is the bread maker one. I have made it in the microwave and the oven but I have to say the bread maker wins hands down. I know that if you haven't got one it's a bit of an expensive but worth every penny. It has to be one of the best gadgets that I bought although it was bought pre dukan. x

I made the breadmaker one today. I wanted to see what it would turn out like and I have to say i like it. I managed to get it cut into 13 slices, although the crusts are a lot smaller. I only have half my daily brans to use on bread as the other half is on porridge. So it means I have one full slice a day. I cooked a turkey leg roll tonight, and used the slice of bread to make a sandwich with some of the turkey. Very nice and very filling.

I also made breadmaker one yesterday and we were pleasantly surprised. Cooked it on the quick cycle which in my machine is 1 hour and 40 minutes. best thing is that its even better next day.

Caz

Back