Broccoli

dizzydawnie

Silver Member
Hello

Preparing my meals as I'm off to work til midnight and I wanted to take some broccoli to go with the meal I've made.

I've looked on MFP and 150g cooked and drained is 11 Carbs. :eek:

Is that correct please?

I always thought that was quite high so i haven't been eating much but i have just checked 2 other sites that say broccoli 1.3 carbs per 100g cooked. i'm slightly confused, i'm also stating to think that MFP has a lot of incorrect info which is worrying as i rely on it to add up my totals for the day.

thank you all :)

msrsimpkin - can the measuring cups be bought anywhere, or ordered on line? That may save alot of worry when trying to stay within limits. Thanks

1 cup = 8 fl oz = 16 tbsp = 48 tsp = 237 ml

Frankly for veg i suggest you just use a mug. If you really want you can use water and measuring jug to see how big it is!

Generally for veg you have to be very careful to look at a uk carb count or if using US then work out net carbs - dangerous on MFP as you dont know how it was filled in. If someone says cups as serving size then probably american.

Also my point of view - i havent yet met someone who genuinely stalled from eating too much brocolli - so if worried about how many carbs from veg and fitting it in then i usually suggest people look at the other things (like sweetener or milk)

Enjoy your greenery:D

thanks Kat1e, that is really useful and I will try that with a mug.

Is the list on Atkins website UK carbs or US? If not, where would you recommend I find the carbs......I have used MFP this week but I take on board exactly the point you make so would rather have something more accurate.

again, thank you in advance! :D:D

My Collins Little Gem Carb Counter says - 60 grams boiled, are .6 carbs. MFP is often so inaccurate it's laughable.

I've stopped logging my food on MFP, I just use it to track weight loss. There's often several different entries for 1 food. Mini Babybels seem to have about 20 entries, most of them for the "light" version- how many different kinds can there possibly be?! Some foods have everything blank except calories, but you won't know that until you open it and have a look. Others have 2 entries for the same thing, but the carb count is different for each. Does my head in.

It was useful in the beginning to get a rough idea of how much to eat and what, and I do occasionally fill in a day to check I'm not wandering too far off track, but basically I agree with Wrinkly- so inaccurate it's laughable.

I think they forgot to add the decimal, more like 1.1g than 11g... i ate broccoli for my lunch and i had around 1g worth of carbs as per the tesco label on the broccoli and it was around 120-130g i think.

Type of carb really does make a huge difference too.. i tried experimenting a little (aka "being naughty") the past couple of days and instead of having my carb allowance in veg i've been using my carb allowance to eat naughty things (crisps mostly, or bread) whilst still keeping in the allowed limits. I have put on more than 0.5lbs over the past two days and started feeling bloated. Not exactly huge but it definitely stopped my weightloss even though it was the same total of carbs, many a time i have gone over my carb limit but with veg and still lost weight. I think the lesson here for me at least is to not worry too much about the veg and if i fancy eating it then to eat it and not worry about measuring the amount i eat to the nearest tenth of a gram. Obviously within reason, but since veg isn't my favouritist food in the world i doubt that will become a problem.

thank you all :)

Its so confusing - I just got a 400g pack of cauli and broccoli florets from Tesco to have with my roast pork tonight - didn't have my glasses with me........and now I've just looked at it and is says 100g = 2.5g carbs!! :cry:

Even just having 200g (doesnt seem much when it is cooked and on your plate) would be 5g of carbs which would really push me towards avoiding my healthy foods :(

I try to have no more than 100g of Broccoli and 100g of (Mashed) Cauliflower per meal.

If you like it, I find Curly Kale is better, as 100g of that is quite substantial.

I have around 100g to 150g of broccoli or cauliflower... it isn't a huge amount but i make up the meal by having a larger amount of meat. Sometimes i melt cheese over the broccoli too which makes it taste richer and feel like i'm eating more... around 25g of cheddar cheese is good for 100g broccoli so very minimal carbs. And, add other lower carb veg along with the broccoli like widdy said, :)

Ok - well you have persuaded me to at least go and weigh the veg so i know what i usually have. Personally i usually have about 200g raw brocolli AND 100g of cauli. Have done this the whole way through induction - veg really fills me up and tastes great. Also regularly have tons of lettuce for lunch but keep control of things like tomatoes, celery, onions, leeks etc. My view is it highly unlikely that this sort of veg will stall you (not suggesting you go mad on everything though!). Really - in the last year - never seen anyone stall through veg;)

Back