Brussel Sprouts or No Sprouts poll lol

Hi Soccermom, I think bubble & squeak is only supposed to be cabbage and potatoes if you Google it. However 'my' bubble & squeak contains boiled potatoes and any leftover boiled veg all mashed together with salt and pepper, then fried. I sometimes put fried onions in with it too. I use frylight and it's really nice if you let it go brown and crispy one one side then turn it over a few times for the other side to go brown too.

So, it's not really a recipe more of a bung it in sort of job - which makes it super easy and it's always a little different every time but always yummy. We always had this for Monday tea when I was small with leftover meat from Sunday roast or bacon and egg if there wasn't enough cold meat.

Thanks for that i'm going to make some for boxing day brunch, really looking forward to them.

happy christmas :D

I have Brussels sprouts all year round because I love them!!

And I don't believe in forcing someone to eat anything that they don't like, so I cook all the veggies up and put them in bowls on the table and everyone helps themselves to the things they want!!

I absolutely love brussel sprouts - always have ever since I was tiny!!

They are officially illegal/contraband in Gateshead - so I'm not risking them.

Sadly, I forgot to purchase any and it is too risky to go out on those wintry roads now:cool:

Now I am really puzzled! Why do you put something on people's plates if they don't like it?

I put everything on every plate because it would take too long to take orders such as 'no sprouts for me', 'only a spoonful of cauli cheese for me', 'just roasties for me'. See what I mean?
If people don't want anything they can put it on their side plate, it's not too difficult for them LOL
If i had a bigger table I might put the veg in the middle, but as the saying goes 'It is what it is';)

I put everything on every plate because it would take too long to take orders such as 'no sprouts for me', 'only a spoonful of cauli cheese for me', 'just roasties for me'. See what I mean?
If people don't want anything they can put it on their side plate, it's not too difficult for them LOL
If i had a bigger table I might put the veg in the middle, but as the saying goes 'It is what it is';)

Ok, yes, that makes sense now.

i have to have one sprout per xmas meal so one on xmas day and one on boixng day

Don't mind them!

Often boil them to death and then mash with salt, pepper and plenty of butter! Not very SW but tasty!

Although I had some lovely ones on my lunch at the Hilton the other day - they were soo tasty and I suspect they may have just been steamed! Should have asked really. I am a wally!

Reminds me of my ex-mother-in-law when the kids used to say things like "Nana I don't like sprouts/pork/turnip etc." she would merely proclaim that it was not her fault! lol.

I don't mind them, they're nothing special but I don't hate them either :) We'll be having them xmas day and boxing day

My DH had his traditional bubble and squeak made with left over brussels sprouts and mash with a fried egg on top and declared it the best bubble and squeak of the year with the sprouts instead of the year round cabbage one.

He loves sprouts.

Me my OH and my eldest daughter loves em :) but my youngest daughter hates them with a vengeance. we eat them simply steamed but the youngest has a bit more of the other veg instead.

I used to hate sprouts with a passion, but this past year I have slowly started to like them, and this christmas cant get enough of them !!!! ...... and no im not pregnant hahaha

Ewwww, sprouts! :sign0137: They have to be about the only vegetable I detest (oh, and broad beans, yuk!). I haven't eaten a sprout since I was forced to eat one as a child and was promptly violently sick, bleurgh! Mam and dad learnt their lesson not to make me eat sprouts after that year ;) xx

My DH had his traditional bubble and squeak made with left over brussels sprouts and mash with a fried egg on top and declared it the best bubble and squeak of the year with the sprouts instead of the year round cabbage one.

He loves sprouts.

I tried this last night for tea & it was lovely. I made too many so had the rest for breakfast this morning with baked beans. What a wonderful way of eating SW is:D

Back