burning question!

MissSlinky2011

Silver Member
Ok so I need to know when is it acceptable to put your Christmas decorations up?

I'm not usually so excited about putting them up but I need something to cheer me up, this will be the first Christmas since my dad passed away he was only 61 and its been a horrible year.

X x x

Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad died in Nov 2002 and I felt like cancelling Christmas. I changed my mind on 22nd Dec and had to rush around decorating and buying presents in a couple if days!

1st of December. In our house it involves mulled wine, Ella Fitzgerald swings Christmas cd and the men of the house sighing in exasperation as I cover everything, including pets and men, in tinsel!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Lol sounds like a lit of fun! I have special red rawhide decorations to put around the bottom of the tree for our dogs lol x

These days it seems to be the 1st December, or the weekend closest to the 1st December.

I'm a bit more traditional, it's around mid December for me - this year it will be 10th December.

They come down on New Years Day though cos I'm fed up of them by that point!

Well I'm doing a 26 hour shift on the 30th to the 1st, I will do them after I've been to bed for a bit I think hehe x

Today, actually :) Normally I'd be waiting until December but we're doing it early this year. We've had our Christmas lights up for a couple weeks now...but only because I found the cutest lawn ornaments and couldn't wait.

South of the border from me today is the "official" start of the Christmas season.

Around about the 1st of December for us, usually the saturday after. I pretend its for the kids I like to put them up a bit early but in reality it's because I love Christmas!!!!

Lol, I've bought some star curtains that light up for my window that I'm dying to put up!

Who doesn't love Christmas! I'm going food shopping later and have emptied a cupboard to be the designated Christmas food cupboard! Lol

The first two posts made me cry, we lost my father in law, (very sudden) in September & as well as dealing the the loss of a family member there has been lots of other things to deal with.

Anyway it suddenly dawned on me he wont be here with us this year & it's just so sad.

We always put our Christmas decorations up two weeks before Christmas, but on Wednesday we go to Florida for two weeks & return on the 14th Dec, so we'll be a little late putting them up this year, OH sees it as a good thing, he thinks the Christmas tree will be cheaper then!!!

Happy Holidays said:
The first two posts made me cry, we lost my father in law, (very sudden) in September & as well as dealing the the loss of a family member there has been lots of other things to deal with.

Anyway it suddenly dawned on me he wont be here with us this year & it's just so sad.

We always put our Christmas decorations up two weeks before Christmas, but on Wednesday we go to Florida for two weeks & return on the 14th Dec, so we'll be a little late putting them up this year, OH sees it as a good thing, he thinks the Christmas tree will be cheaper then!!!

It's really hard, my mums mum, my nanna passed away last year so last Christmas we were without her and now this year without my dad its just me, my mum and sister and my husband and my sisters fiance. My mum has said she won't decorate. She's not doing cards just presents for us and Christmas dinner.

X x x

Ok so I need to know when is it acceptable to put your Christmas decorations up?

I'm not usually so excited about putting them up but I need something to cheer me up, this will be the first Christmas since my dad passed away he was only 61 and its been a horrible year.

X x x

It is whenever you want it to be and if right now is good for you do it right now.

We are real traditionalists and ours are done on Christmas Eve.

Christmas Eve is magical for us. We stay home, just the two of us and decorate the house. We use as much natural stuff as we can down to oranges pierced with cloves, loads of fresh pine and holly ( it grows on our land ). We drink a good, red wine, eat delicious nibbles and when it is all done cuddle on the sofa saying "Oh doesn't it look lovely " lol !!!

I usually put my decs up on the 'teen' weekend in December. They come down after a big SW fry-up on NYD.

I used to have a neighbour who sat up pacing her lounge on 30th Nov. The second the clock ticked midnight, she was up like a whirling dervish until the whole house was dec'd - ready for her kids to wake up to.

We drove past a neighbour of ours now who was putting all their outside lights, inflatables etc up on 8th Nov. We thought they were just taking advantage of what might have been the last of the decent weather to climb ladders etc outside. However, coming home that night you could have seen his house from outer space - and they've been on every evening since!

I love Crimbo but 8th Nov is way too early IMO.

I usually put my decs up on the 'teen' weekend in December. They come down after a big SW fry-up on NYD.

I used to have a neighbour who sat up pacing her lounge on 30th Nov. The second the clock ticked midnight, she was up like a whirling dervish until the whole house was dec'd - ready for her kids to wake up to.

We drove past a neighbour of ours now who was putting all their outside lights, inflatables etc up on
8th Nov. We thought they were just taking advantage of what might have been the last of the decent weather to climb ladders etc outside. However, coming home that night you could have seen his house from outer space - and they've been on every evening since!

I love Crimbo but 8th Nov is way too early IMO.

Haha the 8th Nov is way too early!! This post made me laugh so much because it reminded me of these neighbours we used to have at our old house. They had a gigantic, I mean taller than their 2 story house and almost as wide, inflatable Santa in their front garden before it had even been Halloween!!! I know that doesn't sound funny but honestly everytime I walked past it I just couldn't not laugh.

In answer to the original post....... I think 1st Dec is appropriate. I had mine up on the 4th last year and kept them til about 20th January, I was just really excited for xmas and then didn't want to accept it was over lol. Not feeling it so much this year but I'm sure once the decs go up I'll get into it.

Well now that I live with my husband we had to comprimise, I normally do it on the 1st December but he is werid and does it on 24th December so between us we decided to do it on the 12th December, although on my computer desk my little LED tree is coming out on the 1st ;)

I won't be bothering with decorations this year. For the last few years, when I was with my ex, we just put a tree up and decorated that, neither of us could be bothered with any other decorations and we were always away with family for Christmas itself, so didn't seem much point really.

This year, now that I'm in my teeny place I don't even have room for my Christmas tree (well, it - or should i say they - is 6ft odd!), so I won't have anything in the way of decorations this year... unless I buy a small tree, but we'll see. I'm going to be away from 23rd December through into the New Year so won't really be here to enjoy any decorations anyway!

However, my parents always go all out with their Christmas lights, inside and out, so at least I'll get to enjoy theirs!

As for when decorations should go up, I remember when we were kids that they used to go up the weekend before Christmas, but I think anytime in December is now acceptable. November though is way too early! They've even started playing Christmas songs on the radio this week... give over!

Maybe I'm just a bit bah humbug this year!

Back