Silver Member
You will need
frylight
onion
butternut squash diced
2 tbsp of curry paste
can of chopped tomatoes vegetable stock
100g red lentils

fry and soften onions, add squash and cook for a few minutes. Stir in curry paste and toms. Add around 5-600ml of stock and lentils and bung in oven for around 4 mins or slow cooker for as long as you want.

It works out at 4 syns for lot, and it feeds around 4. I fed 2, and we got loads left over for the freezer!! 'm sure you could make it with curry powder and spices with no syns if you wanted. But I daren't play with it cos I loved it so much, and hardly any syns anyway

I add more chilli powder cos I love it hot. I also love it with wholegrain rice! I couldn't believe how lovely it was, and I usually love my meat!!

Lynda

Sounds yum will def try this as bought a butternut squash today but had no idea what to do with it. I have curry powder but what other spices would you use if not using curry paste?

Also I pressume you meant stick in the oven for 40 mins and not 4 lol:D:D

Thanks xx

that sounds fab, will def try this!

thanx

Helen x

Do you think this could be frozen? Sounds nice, but would like to batch cook if poss.

Thanks
Jacqui

Thanks Circes. Guess I know what I'll be making this weekend now!

Just made this and was absolutely scrummy (plenty left for lunches and for the freezer); but thought I would double check the syns on the curry paste and got a bit of a surprise.

The "average food" section of the website sayd 2 syns per tbsp for the curry paste, but Pataks curry paste (which is what I used) is actually 4 syns per tbsp!! quite a difference, so just watch out for that one peeps.

However it still only works out at 3 syns per portion if you use 3 tbsp of curry paste, or 2 syns per portion if using 2 tbsps which I think is fab. Definately did not expect to like this, but it's going in my top 10.

Hugs
Jacqui

It will depend which curry paste you use - the tikka one is the lowest in syns at only 1 syn for a level tbsp.

So did I lynda and had four portions to freeze so am just tucking in again now, yum, yum!

I made this and used curry powder instead (so its totally free) it was absolutely gorgeous!! :)

lots frozen for lunches and winter warming dinners :)xx

i made this using just curry powder as well and it was lush, thanks for the recipe
vix

Think I've found a use for the squash languishing in the veg bin - this sounds delicious. :)

Made this yesterday..............

Pete’s Butternut Squash Chicken Curry

Serves 4
Ingredients

425g/½ butternut squash
1 onion, chopped
1tsp “easy lazy” garlic
1tsp “easy Lazy” ginger
1tsp cumin
1tsp turmeric
1tsp coriander
1tsp garam masala
1tsp madras curry powder
600g chicken, pre-cooked, chopped into cubes
750mL chicken stock
400g Chopped Tomatoes

Method

(This can be made in advance.)
Chop up the butternut squash into small cubes; leave the skin on, extra fibre!

Spray a large saucepan with Fry Light and add chopped onion, ginger & garlic, cook for 7 mins, with a lid on the pan.

Add butternut squash, madras curry powder and chicken stock, cook for 40 mins, remove from the heat and liquidize with a hand blender.

Continue.

Place back on heat and add cumin, turmeric and coriander, cook for 1 min, add tomato and chicken cook until chicken has been cooked through. Add garam masala 5 min before serving.
Serve on a bed of rice with a side salad.

Attachments

• Butternut Squash Curry (Large).JPG
    Butternut Squash Curry (Large).JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 222
  • Butternut Squash Curry-2 (Large).JPG
    Butternut Squash Curry-2 (Large).JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 247
mumtheshopper, thanks for the recipe, wanted to try a dish with lentils (not really used them before) and your curry sounded lovely. Made it tonight using curry powder, which made it 0 syns - delicious, will be making again

Back