Buttonboots....My Journal....(or I will be half the woman I am now!)

Buttonboots

Hi!
I am Buttonboots!

I am female. I am in my early 50s (Or so my birth certificate tells me!....I vary between feeling around about 30 to feeling in my 80s!). I have ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) - which for me means Asperher's Syndrome, Dyspraxia and Dyslexia amongst other minor conditions. I no longer work - and my disability means I am often housebound.

.....and this week I started on Orlistat/Xenical.

I weigh 20 stone 7 pounds. (Hope noone has run away at the thought of someone allowing themselves to get so big!) And if I stand on tippy-toes I manage to reach 5 foot 4 ....well nearly!

My doctor has said that I need to lose 5% of my weight in the next 3 months. So that would be a little over 1 stone. I'm really hoping i can manage it!

There is a part of me that feels so ....oh, I don't know....guity? ashamed? useless?....because I can't seem to lose weight on my own. You see people in weightloss magazxines (and I read a lot!) who lose weight on their own...why can't I?

On the other hand....I take a variety of meds to help other conditions...why should I feel so differently about taking one to help me control my weight?

So, I started the blue capsules on Wednesday. I suppose most people are concerned when they start....I have heard all about the infamous side-effects! But so far I have been nauseous, slightly bloated and mildly constipated ....but that could all change!

I was a little concerned at breakfast this morning. I have branflakes with raisins and semi-skimmed milk, a banana and a big mug of tea - no sugar, splash of milk....and this morning the nausea was followed by throwing-up. I actually brought up the capsule! I was thinking it might be the milk that is my problem....I normally take goats milk, but ran out and so bought a pack of semi-skimmed cows milk. ...I'll have to keep a check on that ....maybe I'll consider a switch to skimmed instead of semi - although I might as well use water...skimmed milk is so thin and tasteless!

Well, as you might be able to tell, I have a tendenct to waffle on!

Great to find this site....hope to get support on this long journey....and hope that once I get my head round things I might be able to support others travelling the same route!

Hi and welcome. When I started I ft very sick too for the first few days. Do persevere because the tablets really do help keep you on the straight and narrow.

I have lost almost 7 stone on my journey so it can be done! Good luck x

Thank you for the welcome....and the encouragement!

You have done really well with your weight loss!

I'm trying not to think of how much I need to lose in total....not just yet! I know I have to lose half my weight (and a bit more) but I'm just going to focus on that initial goal of the first stone lost by the end of three months.

I'm not giving up just yet! I've been on the diet for four weeks now....the GP said I had to diet without Orlistat for a month before he would prescribe them..I managed to lose about four pounds. I am determined to give the tablets my best shot.

I'm off to have lunch now (home made veg soup, granary bread, fruit and low-fat yogurt)....and my second tablet of the day...and this one is going to stay down!

Sounds good. I felt totally overwhelmed at the beginning, but I think the trick is to break it down into small targets.

Hi & welcome!

First of all it really doesn't matter what you weighed to start with its where we end up. I started xenical October last year & was on them until Feb with no side effects. For the first month or so after I came off them I still ate to the rules but I have relaxed it now. I'm 5 stone 10.5lbs down & honestly never believed I'd be here when I started.

There is support in bucket loads for you here.

Good Luck, onwards & downwards x

Hi, I too felt really sick when I first started and am occassionally physically sick now - usually if I have only had a little to eat in the day then have my evening meal. I find it helps to take the tablet at the end of, or during the meal rather than before. I figured the tablet hitting an empty stomach then food on top was what made me sick.. hasn't happened for a while now :)

Good luck with your loss!! xx

Hi, again - I've just replied to your post in the WEMITTS section! Just wanted to add to what others have said here. Orlistat is not a miracle drug, it takes nothing away from you in terms of the effort needed to lose weight, so you WILL be doing it yourself - the extra that will come of due to the tablets is minimal, so don't feel you've in any way given up by starting to take it. As you said yourself, you lost 4lbs before you started on the drug, you can do it! xx

Hi and welcome. I was 19 stone 1 1/2 lbs when I started orlistat. I'm now 14 stone. It can be done and you are def not the heaviest we've had in here so don't worry.
It sounds like it was the milk that made you sick. If you brought the tablet back up then it hadn't dissolved so nothing in your system to make you throw up.
I often use the milk that had the purple lid. It's only 2% fat which is somewhere on between skimmed and semi.
My kids have dairy allergies so they have the lactofree milk you can buy. It tastes just like skimmed milk but doesn't give them any reactions.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks to everyone for the lovely welcome and support!

So...It's the beginning of a new week.

I had a slight issue with food yesterday. It was Sunday. I had a tasty dinner - spicy baked chicken with rice and veg. But typically all I could think about was a full roast dinner! You know ...roast beef, roast potatoes, creamy mash, roast parsnips, buttered cabbage, yorkshire pud, rich gravy.....and trifle to follow!....I'll have to work on a low-fat version I think (lean roast beef - just a couple of thin slices...fat free gravy....boiled potatoes - maybe I could try mashing with skimmed milk or low fat yogurt?...I'll have to look into the yorkshires!...) ...I'm a real foodie....and I'm fairly certain that with a little effort there aren't that many food that can't be adapted to low-fat!.....Then again if it was that easy I wouldn't be as stupidly overweight as I am!

Today I woke up with slightly less bloating - and then had the need for a very quick trip to the loo! At least the constipation is no longer a problem! And it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I have been told the side-effect poos can be.

I am going to stick with this...I am determined! And I have begun a new cross-stitch .....it's much harder to nibble when you are stitching!

Well done on the start of a new week.... You can make mash with Hellmans extra light mayo, it's not too bad but I tend to do tates in fry light in re oven to make xen friendly roasties, my son & hubby actually prefer them to proper ones too so win win!!! Yorkies aren't within the 5g rule sadly but it depends of its worth the risk.

Doesn't sound as though what you had was tango, I thought I'd had it about a week in but I'm assured you'd know, it's orange oil!

As I said there is so much support on here, these ladies have got me to where I am now & I am sure we can do the same for you xx

Well, I went shopping yesterday....to Morrisons.

I am feeling slightly virtuous....it is the first time in ages that I by-passed the pakoras and samosas and bhajis!...I usually 'trerat' myself to a meal of assorted Indian 'snacks' after a shopping trip!

I bought some Quorn sausages to try....I am not ready to give up my sausies and mash! I thought I'd try the Quorn ones ...if I don't like them then I'll try low-fat meat ones....I'll try that tip of adding extra-light mayo to the Mash...and onion gravy should be a distinct possibility....and I've bought some of that fry-light spray too! I think I can do it all withing the 5g rule!

The bloating seems to have all but gone.....and the nausea too, just the odd wave which passes quickly. No 'tango' yet...I'm just 'looser' on the loo and there is a slight orangey 'sheen' when I go.....TMI?!!!!

I had my Mum take a couple of photos of me....maybe later I'll be brave enough to post them as a 'before' photo! (I have serious body issues!)

Mum is the only one who knows that I am tryng Xenical...none of the other family know yet. I've heard too many comments of 'why don't you just eat less?' and 'Why bother, you'll just put it all back on again! You always do!' ....don't get me wrong, my family are (mostly!) lovely people but they don't really understand my weight issues.

I've got my birthday coming up in a couple of weeks...and that means cake! In our family, birthdays are celebrated with coffee and cake parties (I am part German....we love our cake!)....I was thinking of having one low-fat option - Mum has offered a fat-free sponge with low-sugar jam...or fat free donuts (she has a donut baker)....and I can have a slice of that and then concentrate on drinking coffee and opening cards et.c....hopefully no-one will notice! (I don;t feel ready to admit I'm on 'another' diet!)....and I would only hear 'but surely one tiny piece won't hurt'.....by Christmas I hope I'll be ready to admit what I am doing....and I've signed up for the Christmas challenge and want to be 2 stone lighter by Christmas!

I'll have to weigh myself again soon...but I am so nervous....what if I haven't lost?!!!!

Well done. You've made a great start. You don't ever have to tell the family what you're doing because I soon came to realise that although initially xen gave me the start I needed it soon became obvious that it was still down to the hard work and perseverance by me and nothing else. It is my achievement for me and no one else.

I like quorn sausages but tbh I'm not a major fan of sausages anyway . I will only eat sausages that have 90% meat or more. But as a last resort if the rest of the family are eating them I will eat the low fat ww or count on us ones just to be seen to be eating the same meal.

I also love food and cooking proper meals but have cooked low fat versions for years and no body knows the difference. It's just retraining taste buds. Use lots of seasonings and you'll be fine.

Hiya

In my opinion the nicest low fat sausages are the Nu Me Sausages from Morrisons, i think they are 62 calories each. The Cumberland Pie from the same range is also only 297 cals and quite tasty and filling.

You don't need to tell anyone your on a another 'diet', i always feel under immense pressure when i tell people i am dieting and i give in. This time round for me I have had a different approach and rather than telling people I am on a diet, I simply say i am not hungry or i don't want that particular food etc.

Good luck :)

I like the nume Cumberland pie too but why aren't they still eat smart it confuses me now lol!

I have WW sausages when we BBQ & Sainsburys be good to yourself 1/4 pounders are lovely too, we are bbqing this Saturday, I'll do loads of salad & new pots & am really looking forward to it.

I love to cook too Button & I've still done lots but just found lower fat versions of things I always liked.....

I hardly told anyone at first as I'd been on 3-4 diets a year for about 15 years, dread to think how much money I paid WW & SW over the years but this is the most success I've ever had & yes it cost the NHS 4 months of xen but in the long run I'll save them money as I'm so much healthier

I'll have to look for the nume range when I'm next in Morrsons!

I prefer to eat meat that has been ethically farmed...which is why I thought I'd try the vegetarian ones....I'd rather not eat meat than eat meat that was intensively reared.

I had an 'interesting' night last night! I had a lovely meal...a small piece of salmon, which I steamed along with some broccoli and courgettes and herbs and served with a couple of tiny new potatoes...delicious!....Later I felt a slight 'queasiness' and was 'loose' on the loo! Nothing drastic, no dreaded tango! But overnight...it was one of the few times I am glad I live alone!...you should have heard my stomach! Gurgling and rumbling it was! Another 'loose' one this morning (had to nip out of bed sharpish!)....never thought it could be the salmon until I read toofatkat's diary!....Now the salmon was larger than I could eat in one meal - and I was planning on having the rest for today.....I'll have to think about it!

My advice re salmon is wild salmon. Most salmon is farmed & injected with fat to make it plumper & that's why it's higher than wild salmon. The wild tastes so much nicer too x

I was lucky I didn't have any tango issues. But I remember from the beginning that a lot of people did

So....I stood on the scales this morning.

I have 'Salter' scales, which I hoped would be reasonably accurate....the scales in Boots seem to weigh me about 3 pounds heavier than these...and my GP never tells me what his scales say...just grunts and tells me what I've lost in KG! (And then usually tells me to try harder!)

According to the scales...verified by Mum (it's hard for me to read the accurately myself!) ...I now weigh 20 st and 'somewhere between 3 and 4 pounds - the needle keeps moving! Let's say 20 stone 4 (gives a bit of 'leeway' for next week!)...so 3 pounds off.

A bigger loss would have been nice - considering this is my first week on the Xenical! But I am focussing on the fact that this is 3 pounds I will NEVER see again! And it is 6 packs of butter!....Also, I need to remember that I am losing weight with no exercise...some days moving from chair to bathroom or kitchen is all the exercise I can manage! ....So...YAY! 3 pounds gone!

I've noticed that quite a few posters have these neat 'ribbon' things after their posts to chart their weightloss....can someone tell me how to get one!

Back