C25K Running Thread!!

Thanks for your help. Nervous about tomorrow as it is W3D1. I cant believe that in a few short weeks that i will be jogging for 30mins continously.

You will get there :D Summergurls advice is good as well, i tend to look straight ahead and at my surroundings and before i know it im slowing down again :giggle:

Im aiming to get on the road on Friday :D I've had a busy week with OH getting ill and i did want to go out but been unable to! fingers crossed eh?!;)

It's really unbelievable to me as I'm so not a runner, but I have become totally addicted to it. I am completely hooked! I did 5.5 miles on Sunday, 6 miles on Monday, 6 miles on Tuesday but a paltry 4.5 miles today (as I daren't go any further as I wanted to get back home before the storm hit!) The furthest I've been so far is 8 miles but that was a one off and must have been fuelled by something sugary I'll wager ;)

wow luckycat! Bet you are knackered! Do you not have a rest day inbetween runs?

W3D1 completed. I cant believe that i ran for 3 mins twice !!! I looked at week 3 a few weeks ago and that was the first week that i went "oh my god i cant do that". this is a great thread for inspiration. Cant believe that in two weeks i will be running for 20 mins !!!!

wow luckycat! Bet you are knackered! Do you not have a rest day inbetween runs?

I've kind of got used to it now and so yes, I'm knackered and hot n sweaty at the end of it, but I feel fine afterwards.

I only have maybe 2 rest days a week. I'm out running 5 or even occasionally 6 days a week. One day (God knows what got into me) I went out twice in one day - 5.5 miles in the afternoon, 4.5 miles in the evening. It is SO addictive! You feel so good afterwards and I suppose I'm still in that phase of being absolutely astounded that I can do it.

This thread truly is an inspiration. It was Irishmum's twenty-odd minute run that pushed me when she said that if she could do it, anyone can. So much of it is mind over matter. I've been running some nights and looked at the stopwatch and it said 20 mins and I've thought "gawd, i wanna give up" but you keep running through it and then you hit your stride and I've still been running 40 mins later.

I've said it before, but it's true. Don't be frightened of the big runs ahead. The longer you run, the easier it gets. The first ten minutes is the worst bit. Once you're over that and into your rhythm you're away.

I have noticed that the day after exercise i am not feeling any aching or after effects. Does this mean that I should be trying to run faster ? I feel that the pace that i jog at is suitable for me, as i havent run for years and i am overweight and i do whilst jogging feel a bit of pressure on my shins.

can anyone advise.x

I would stick with what you are on. Finish the week and move to the next one, you may find that the next week you need the rest more but if your not as achy its a good sign your getting used to it! Remember this is about distance not how fast :D speed can be worked on once we're running properly

I have noticed that the day after exercise i am not feeling any aching or after effects. Does this mean that I should be trying to run faster ? I feel that the pace that i jog at is suitable for me, as i havent run for years and i am overweight and i do whilst jogging feel a bit of pressure on my shins.

can anyone advise.x

Yes, stick with the slow jogging.

Although I'd wanted to run (or try running) for a long time, it was only this past couple of months that I dared to as I'd lost enough weight for it to be ok on my joints. I work in orthopaedics and I know full well that running, being high impact, is hard on your joints. When I was significantly overweight I daren't run for fear of injuring my knees and/or ankles.

So especially if you are feeling it in your shins, don't try to push yourself any further right now. You'll be getting the cardiovascular benefits from what you are doing anyway and it's still burning those calories!!

Brilliant progress going on here - I don't quite get the rush of addiction for running but occasionally get a small longing to run - I have a 5k to do on Sunday so I'll see how it goes. I would like to keep on with small runs afterwards as we have a nice lake near to us that has a path of 1 mile around the edge which I now find comfortable to achieve. I'm running twice around it at the moment and it's taking me about 25 mins so I aim to do the 5k in under 40 mins if possible.
What should I eat beforehand - carbs or protein?

Completed the 5k today in 28.5 mins which I am soooo pleased with as I didn't walk at all - just kept on running and told myself I could walk if I wanted to in a little while and 5k was over before I knew it! Also found out that the track I had been training around is 1.35 miles, not 1 mile so I'm going faster than I thought. I'm seriously thinking about joining the local running group around the park as I did enjoy it today and could benefit from a bit of guidance on how to run properly etc. I'm really motivated at the moment and would like a 10k to focus on in the future. Love this thread as all of your progress is really inspiring

Well done!!! Thats fantastic! A running club is good, its something i would like to do once i get out there. I looked into it earlier in the year and it would be nice to do it eventually.

Well done, what a fantastic time :)

Oh. My. Word. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just looked at week 5 ......

Day 1 i think i can handle no problem, day 2 .... hmm at a push ....

Day 3 ... 20mins running!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

To say i am a little nervous would be an understatement!!!!

Thats where i got stuck! I just couldnt get past it, i think it was mental more than anything :giggle:

Oh. My. Word. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just looked at week 5 ......

Day 1 i think i can handle no problem, day 2 .... hmm at a push ....

Day 3 ... 20mins running!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

To say i am a little nervous would be an understatement!!!!

I had a sneak peak at week 5 and oh my god, i nearly had a coronary 20mins running :eek:

:rotflmao:

Im sure we can do it guys. It wouldnt be designed that way if we couldnt i guess! :)

:fingerscrossed:

did W3D3 and found it okay. Not looking forward to doing W4D1 on Friday as it is hard to remember the stages. Does anyone else have that problem in remembering the times.

I use robert ullreys podcasts and they work a treat, music isnt my taste but the timings are perfect!

Yup, i too use Ullreys podcasts and he tells you when to run and when to walk :)

Back