ca someone out there help me???

Dietingdon

Silver Member
Ive done a million diets, or toid with the ideas of many diets, and not succeeded for one of 2 reasons, I dont understand the diet im doing, or I give up!
In july 2009 i was 14.7 Im now 17.6. 3 stomes in 7 months, and now im getting desperate. I have got carol vordermans diet 'game' for the ds, and once I get my ds back off my nephew, I plan on trying it. I believe its based on CC. Until then, I want to start CC, but dont know where to start, I tried working out my calorie allowence, but got in a muddle. could someone please help. Im 5 feet 5 inches, female and 17st 6lbs, and dont do any exercise, I hate it and have pretty much convinced myself, usless I do 3 hours + a day, like they do on the biggest loser, Its not worth it. Id reall like to be down to 14.7 but july again, is this possible?

Hi hunny,

Its so scary isnt it when you come of a diet and you manage to put on stones rather than pounds in a few months....

Am the same when i give up dieting i usually put on a stone after a month....its very hard...BUT you know you can do it...you have done it..just think if you dont control it now you could be very overweight by xmas time..or you can control it and be a healthy weight.I think you should be on around 1500 calories a day and has far has excercise is concerned..i dont go to gym or anything i just walk to the shops etc and try to do 30-60 mins walking a day and i have lost 2lbs average a week.,you dont need to do 3.5 hours ex a day,take it slow and when you see the benefits you can increase it if you want.

You can do it...better to do now than 6 months down the line at a warse weight when it will feel even harder...

all the best.
xx

Thank you for the encouragement. Ive got myself an mp3 player so i can put some songs on there, and go walking. Im lucky I live by the coast, so can walk along the sea front. All I need to do now, is motivate myself!

The best advise i can give is give yourself little goals ,

Seeing it as a whole can sometimes seem to much and motivation can fade,

Mine has taken over a year to lose and i'm still trying but must admit without my exercise i don't think i would have managed as well i did loads of walking i got a pedometer and every day i said i would increase the steps by 100, and slowly i was doing over 10,000 steps a day then on weekends me and hubby would walk together and get to nearly 15-18,000 and it gives you such a buzz might be worth thinking about as your in such a good location for walking,

good luck ! don't give in you can do it

Okay- the numbers bit.
Your BMR is 1890. Thats how many calories your body NEEDS to function properly at your current weight, i.e. keeping your organs running properly, keeping your bones/blood/muscles etc in good condition. (this will go down as your weight drops?)
The amount of calories you burn in an average day is 2268 (your BMR x 1.2), so you could in theory eat that amount and stay at your current weight.
Now 'experts' recommend you don't eat under your BMR in order to lessen the chances of doing your body harm? In my opinion (and some experts do agree) one option is to eat the bmr of your goal weight. If you set your goal weight at (for example) 12stone, your BMR would be 1560, so I think a daily goal of between 1550-1600 would see you losing 1-2lbs a week, more initially because you have quite a large amount to lose (no offence? I've been there!) and because you gained so much in such a short amount of time, I'd imagine you were eating quite a high amount of cals daily up to now, so any significant drop will see big results initially?
As for exercise- I'm with you! I HATE the gym, exercise DVD's etc, but I can walk for hours, especially if I've my music going. It's a great way of getting moving, and if you can include a few hills thats even better. Anything that gets you a little breathless is working your heart & revving up your metabolism- and thats a good thing! Remember, it took you 7mths to put on the three stone, allow yourself the same amount of time to lose it again, though I have a feeling if you put your heart in it your initial losses will mean you get there quicker?
I agree with setting smaller goals, like 1 stone at a time, and treating yourself when you get there (new hairdo, manicure, make-up, shoes etc.) It'll make it less daunting, and keep your motivated?

So, my 2p's worth- eat 1550-1600cals a day, and try to get 30mins or so walking in and you'll soon see results?
Maybe this breakdown will help:
Breakfast: 400
Morning snack: 100cals
Lunch: 400cals
Afternoon snack: 100cals
Dinner: 500cals
Evening snack: 50-100cals

This is just a rough idea, it's generally though that eating regularly will help prevent blood sugar dips that make you crave rubbish, so by eating 3 meals with a few snacks in between will keep your metabolism burning, as well as keeping you from reaching for rubbishy snacks?
Try to eat as few processed/ready meals as possible, eat some form of protein at each meal (lean meat/fish, eggs, beans, lentils, chickpeas, nuts, seeds), swap your potatoes for sweet ones, and white rice/pasta/bread for wholemeal versions.

Sorry about the essay, I hope I helped a bit? Good Luck!

Hi
IrishMum has given you fab advice on calories etc. I am here to tell you that you can definitely shift your 3 stone by July if you really go for it.
I started here on Jan 6th with 3 stone to lose. WEll I have been really good - generally stuck to 1200/1350 cals per day (and I have exercised - mostly jumping up and down to Davina in front of the TV for 30 mins - no way could I do 3 hrs +!!!) and I have lost 17lbs already.

I am soo pleased that I went for it. I keep thinking that if I had done nothing but just carried on eating normally all month I would have stayed the same or been heavier. Instead I start Feb 17lbs lighter:)

I can't say I've loved it, I'm not a natural exerciser ad I usually love my treats but I have to say that it has been easier than I thought once I got into the routine. This site has been incredible, both for info and motivational stories as well as just knowing there are others in the same boat :)

July is going to come one way or another, it is up to you how much you weigh/ and how you feel at that time. Go for it !!:)

x

Okay- the numbers bit.
Your BMR is 1890. Thats how many calories your body NEEDS to function properly at your current weight, i.e. keeping your organs running properly, keeping your bones/blood/muscles etc in good condition. (this will go down as your weight drops?)
The amount of calories you burn in an average day is 2268 (your BMR x 1.2), so you could in theory eat that amount and stay at your current weight.
Now 'experts' recommend you don't eat under your BMR in order to lessen the chances of doing your body harm? In my opinion (and some experts do agree) one option is to eat the bmr of your goal weight. If you set your goal weight at (for example) 12stone, your BMR would be 1560, so I think a daily goal of between 1550-1600 would see you losing 1-2lbs a week, more initially because you have quite a large amount to lose (no offence? I've been there!) and because you gained so much in such a short amount of time, I'd imagine you were eating quite a high amount of cals daily up to now, so any significant drop will see big results initially?
As for exercise- I'm with you! I HATE the gym, exercise DVD's etc, but I can walk for hours, especially if I've my music going. It's a great way of getting moving, and if you can include a few hills thats even better. Anything that gets you a little breathless is working your heart & revving up your metabolism- and thats a good thing! Remember, it took you 7mths to put on the three stone, allow yourself the same amount of time to lose it again, though I have a feeling if you put your heart in it your initial losses will mean you get there quicker?
I agree with setting smaller goals, like 1 stone at a time, and treating yourself when you get there (new hairdo, manicure, make-up, shoes etc.) It'll make it less daunting, and keep your motivated?

So, my 2p's worth- eat 1550-1600cals a day, and try to get 30mins or so walking in and you'll soon see results?
Maybe this breakdown will help:
Breakfast: 400
Morning snack: 100cals
Lunch: 400cals
Afternoon snack: 100cals
Dinner: 500cals
Evening snack: 50-100cals

This is just a rough idea, it's generally though that eating regularly will help prevent blood sugar dips that make you crave rubbish, so by eating 3 meals with a few snacks in between will keep your metabolism burning, as well as keeping you from reaching for rubbishy snacks?
Try to eat as few processed/ready meals as possible, eat some form of protein at each meal (lean meat/fish, eggs, beans, lentils, chickpeas, nuts, seeds), swap your potatoes for sweet ones, and white rice/pasta/bread for wholemeal versions.

Sorry about the essay, I hope I helped a bit? Good Luck!

WOW, thank you so much for all your help, and info. You're quite right, I have been eating alot (an obseen) amount of cals in the last 7 months to gain what I have, im ashamed and discusted with myself. I've been quite depressed lately, start councelling on monday, so hopefully this will help with my motivation. I have a step counter, so will start using that. One question I have, how often do I need to re-check my BMR, or, as my goal is 12 stone, do I stick to those amount of calories until I get there?

Hi
IrishMum has given you fab advice on calories etc. I am here to tell you that you can definitely shift your 3 stone by July if you really go for it.
I started here on Jan 6th with 3 stone to lose. WEll I have been really good - generally stuck to 1200/1350 cals per day (and I have exercised - mostly jumping up and down to Davina in front of the TV for 30 mins - no way could I do 3 hrs +!!!) and I have lost 17lbs already.

I am soo pleased that I went for it. I keep thinking that if I had done nothing but just carried on eating normally all month I would have stayed the same or been heavier. Instead I start Feb 17lbs lighter:)

I can't say I've loved it, I'm not a natural exerciser ad I usually love my treats but I have to say that it has been easier than I thought once I got into the routine. This site has been incredible, both for info and motivational stories as well as just knowing there are others in the same boat :)

July is going to come one way or another, it is up to you how much you weigh/ and how you feel at that time. Go for it !!:)

x

Well done on your weight loss to date. What a fab loss In just 1 month, I hope I can do as well, as Ive told my boyfriend, unless I lose 3 stones by july, he'll be celebrating his 30th birthday in Amsterdam alone! Which of course, I dont want. Like I said in my previous post, I have been depressed, so motivation for activity, or anything for that matter has been non exsistant, but I have to try harder, like you say, July will be here no matter what.

Oh 1 more question I did have, counting calories is fine now I know what to stick to, but what about fat, sugar, sat fat? What amounts do I have to stick to with them? Im sure its not a good thing to eat 1600 cals or pizza and chocolate.

If you tell me how old you are and if you do any exercise I can work it out for you I have a metabolic rate calculator. I have your height and weight I just need your age

One teaspoon of sugar is 56 calories

One of the other members worked it out, but said my calorie intake should lower, as I (hopefully) lose weight, I just wondered how often I should review it?

If you stop losing weight then I would review it again

I've been quite depressed lately, start councelling on monday, so hopefully this will help with my motivation. I have a step counter, so will start using that. One question I have, how often do I need to re-check my BMR, or, as my goal is 12 stone, do I stick to those amount of calories until I get there?
Oh, I hope your counselling sessions will help, as it IS very difficult to concentrate on anything when you're feeling down? The step counter is a good start, as it'll give you an idea of how much exercise you really do in an average day?
Your BMR/calorie intake won't actually change by a whole lot as your weight drops- maybe 200-300cals, but as was suggested, I'd revise it if your losses stall? Or maybe try a different way of exercising, or try different foods? Try to keep your body guessing whats happening next and it'll keep burning that excess?
As for what to eat- try to avoid processed/ready meals? They're usually full of sodium (retains fluid) and sugar- even the low-cal ones. Check food labels and try to restrict your foods to those with less than 5g fat per 100g. Try Iceland (or budget supermarkets) for cheap fish/chicken fillets and vegetables. 'Experts' recommend eating as colorfully as possible- that just means to have a wide variety of veg/fruits at your meal to get as wide a variety of nutrients as possible? Don't 'ban' treats, work one or two into your day, or try to find 'healthy' substitutes for them? Swap white bread/pasta/rice for wholemeal, and white bread for granary/wholemeal- they're a little higher cal, but will keep you full for longer so will help cut out unnecessary snacking? If you find you're hungry, or get a craving for something- distract yourself (I find brushing my teeth, drinking a pint of water or sugar-free chewing gum help?) And try to drink at least 2l of water a day to keep your system flushed out, this will also help avoid fluid retention?
Are there any foods/meals you really couldn't do without? We could try to 'healthy' them for you?
(Phew! Sorry for the 'essay' again! LOL!;):p)

Thanks again for all your advice. I am partial to chocolate, and was hoping to have a snack size piece each day, as a treat, I am thinking a lot about pancake day too. Im awful, I know. How many cals in a pancake??

Back