Cali Sweden's Diary

What have you been eating today? Have you mixed protein and carbs? Have you had a snack etc.

I had my usual breakfast, went for a walk, but tried walking it faster since the weather was a little cooler this morning. Did my exercises, and afterwards I was hungry, so I took a slice of brownbread with grain and seeds, with some Ajvar on it. Then at lunch I had salad and some fried rice. I checked to make sure I was eating more veggies than anything else. Then I just had a peeled apple for a snack.

That looks pretty ok. They say when having fruit for a snack to have a teaspoon of mixed seeds or some yoghurt with it. Did you have enough protein at lunch? I often have a mixed bean salad which I find filling.
can't think what else it might be that's leaving you hungry.

I had the apple about 30 minutes ago, maybe I should roast some nuts and seeds so I can eat them. I bought unroasted nuts and seeds, since all the roasted ones were also salted. My fried rice had meat in it, because I used the leftover BBQ meat.

There's an idea! Roast chickpeas are a great standby! Drain a can and toss them in a little chilli powder if you like and roast them on a tray. Very yum and very Gi friendly!!

Also keep up your water intake. I read somewhere that 80% of the time we feel hungry our bodies are actually looking for water. Sip water rather than glug down large glasses. I keep 500 ml bottles everywhere!

I'm always really good with water. I always usually have water with me or near me. I drink min up to 2 liters of water a day easy normally. But maybe with the working out and new diet, I probably need to drink even more. I'll def try to keep it in mind :)

Here's my food log for today.

Breakfast: The usual, unsweetened musli with(dried raspberries, peaches, gojiberries and sultanas) and milk.

Snack: A slice of dark bread with grains and seeds topped with Ajvar.

Lunch: Last night's leftover fried rice and a nice serving of salad.

Snack: Peeled apple.

Dinner: Last night's leftover fried rice and a nice serving of salad.

Exercise: 30 minute walk with the dog. Pushups and crunches, followed by 25 minutes of yoga. This evening we went for a 25 minutes bicycle ride. So I got in a little extra in there today:)

Food's looking great, Cali. How much rice are you actually eating eg is it about 1/4 of a plate?

I had not realised you had only switched to this diet 5 days ago! I might be completely wrong but perhaps you are feeling hungrier because of this change. Your body is used to eating lots of protein with lots of fat, which are both very filling and your body is adjusting to the change. What do you think of this as a theory? Completely rubbish probably!

I did read somewhere, and I have searched and searched and I cant find where I saw it, that when you first go on the GI diet there can be issues with exercise and feeling hungry and lacking in energy afterwards - there was science behind it but, sadly, I cant remember the sciencey bit either. Sorry, not much help am I? :(

How hungry are you actually feeling? I would say that if you are feeling hungry eat a small portion of something such as a cup of vegetable soup with a dollop of yogurt or yogurt cheese (labneh).

Irish Molly, how long would I have to roast the chickpeas for and at what temp? That sounds right up my street. :)

Last edited:
Yeah it hasn't been long since I changed over, hints the weight gain, and bugging poor Molly all the time for help :) I think you're right about the body being used to a lot of protein and fat, that's what I was consuming a lot of for a month. With LCHF I didn't have to think about how much of those I consumed, when I was hungry I just shoved my face full of fat and carried on.

I did feel sluggish being on LCHF. I've read other people complain that Low carb can make it harder to have more endurance for working out.

Since switching over to GI, I've started doing more for exercise as I feel I have more energy now. So maybe it's a combination of diet change and also more exercise that's caused me to be hungry. The yogurt sounds like a good idea. But I'm so far sorta avoiding dairy and fats right now since I was eating A HUGE AMOUNTS of them for a month :)

I would like to know more about the roasted chickpeas too. My GI chart says that canned beans are high GI. I get so confused :(

Roast chick peas
Preheat oven and tray to 220c.
Drain a can of chick peas and dry them in kitchen paper. They need to be nice and dry going in.
If you want, toss them in a Tablespoon of olive oil, some cayenne or chilli or garlic salt.
Spread them on the heated tray.
Depending on your oven, roast for 30-40 minutes. Check them after 30 as they can burn easily and then taste terribly bitter.
Mine do in 30 mins and have a nice nutty flavour. I put them in an airtight container but they get used pretty quickly!!!

My GI chart says that canned beans are high GI. I get so confused :(

Chickpeas are definitely low GI, have a look on the glycemicindex.com website.

Thanks Molly, will give that a go and let you know how it went!

Wow that sounds really yummy! I will have to try them out. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

I'm going to try to make low GI friendly chili beans today. I've already soaked the kidney beans and chickpeas over night. I have canned soy beans to add when cooking begins, and will add the red lentils at cooking time too. I will also add some ground beef, onions, garlic, bell peppers and tomatoes. I plan to have a salad with the chili beans in order to up my veggie intake:)

Does that sound low GI???

Holford says canned are fine. I've used canned all the time. When I was in weightloss mode I could lose 2 or 3 lbs with little effort and I eat bean dishes maybe four days a week so it did not affect my losses.
Soaking and cooking beans is too much like hard work for me!

Wow 2-3 lbs a week!?! I want to do that! Did you follow a book or something in the beginning? Or what types of food did you eat? Like recipes etc? Sorry about all the questions and everything, I just want to be where you're at :) You're my GI/GL role model :) Maybe you should write a GI/GL weightloss type book, to help others out .

Cool so we can use canned beans and it doesn't make a difference, that's really great to hear. Sometimes it's really a hassel to make sure you soak the beans before you go to bed. Having cans around is much easier. I can be quiet lazy at times, nor do I want to always stay at the stove for hours. Again thank you for the tips!

You make me blush hon. No, no magic just grim determination to get back to the size I knew was manageable for me.
Holford et al will say that losses of up to 3-4 lbs per week are achieveable on GL. When I switched to GL I was in no hurry as I had decided that this was my plan for life. Approaching it with a "diet head" would only set me up for failure. I am not active either so I accepted losses might be slow. Some weeks I lost a pound or had a STS and others I lost 2, 3 ,4 lbs. This is the monthly record for my weightloss phase of GL
Wk 29-32 207 to 208 +01 Small gain as I switched from TFR.
Wk 33-36 208 to 200 -08
Wk 37-40 200 to 195 -05
Wk 41-44 195 to 192 -03
Wk 45-48 192 to 186 -06
Wk 49-52 186 to 178 -08
My calorie intake averaged about 1400 per day so I was eating plenty.
I did not follow any one plan. Again, this would feel more like a diet. I cut out completely bread, potato, pasta and rice for the weightloss phase. I had oat cakes, rye crackers, quinoa, lentils, all types of beans to substitute for those.
In maintenance mode I have just small amounts of those high car foods.

Thank you Molly, I will finish reading that thread when I get home. I read about half of it. I need to go to the grocery store, as I'm out of anything I can eat immediately, only the musli. Also I need things for tonight's dinner.

I'll buy some oat and rye crackers too, and stock up on some canned beans. I'm gonna have to order a GL book today :) Okay wish me luck at the grocery store.

Before I went grocery shopping I went and did a couple of errands. I also stopped by Lindex (clothing store) to try on some jeans. My jeans are getting loose on me. But it looks like I'm inbetween sizes, so I didn't buy any. I'll wait a couple more weeks to see if I lose weight to go in the smaller one. I got a new shirt though, again I was inbetween sizes. The L has a bit of space, but the M felt a little snug. I got the L because it's 100% cotton and it'll most likely shrink. I can't wait until I fit not inbetween sizes.

Ok so my shopping trip today went fairly good, I took my sweet time looking at things and reading labels. I think I was in the grocery store for over an hour. I did find a lot of goodies. I found organic peanut butter, and it doesn't have any sugar in it. I also found jams that didn't have any added sugars in it, thank goodness for the French. It was a French jam company, quiet little expensive things. All the Swedish jams and preserves had way too much sugar in them.

I also figured out that Rye crackers are knäckebröd(crisp bread), because we have Ryvita here too and it's called knäckebröd here. We are the land and home of crisp bread. You should see the selection we have, it took some time to pick a good one. I got one from Leksand that's made also with quinoa and rye sourdough. I also picked out a rye bread that has a lot of seeds and grains in it. It's one of those uber super healthy breads. I couldn't find any oat cakes though :(

I found Agave sirup, I was so shocked, I didn't think they'd have it. Though it's a bit expensive for the little thing. The fruit sugar is much cheaper compared to Agave sirup. I checked the small frozen healthy imitation meat section and sure enough at the very bottom of the wall, they had Quorn, and another company's soy meats. I didn't buy them because well I prefer meat:) But it was just really cool that I found them:)

I picked out a lot of fruits today, peaches, nectarines, and a melon. They had quiet a nice sale going on. So now the fridge is full of yummy fruits and veggies. This is the rotting season, so the fruits and veggies rot very quickly. I try not to buy too much at once, or else you'll find liquidfied fruits and veggies in the fridge.

Last edited:
Back