Cali Sweden's Diary

Cali don't beat yourself up over the spring rolls. There will always be days that don't go quite to plan. Just don't let a slip become a tumble down the hill. I adopt the 80/20 rule and try to be as good as I can for 80% of the time.
Have a good weekend on track!!

Thank you Molly :) I actually lost a little weight from yesterday. I was so happy to see that. I will try to behave today and tonight. But tonight is a birthday party out in town. If we do end up eating out, I will try to eat the GI/GL friendlist foods.

Haha Its cool Cal. You guys are seriously impressing me. Just goes to show how small changes can make a big difference, doesn't it :)

So yesterday I did really good with my food, but then we went out for a birthday get together. Earlier in the day I went and about some diet bars, that said low GI, and sounded like it would be low GI, not sure how they'd taste. I was getting ready to leave and my guy said "We're goinna be late!" So I grabbed my things and jumped in the car. Halfway to the place, I realize omg I forgot a bar as my snack!

We went bowling, and I thought we were going to be done earlier, but I find out when we're there that we wouldn't be leaving the place until 2100. I was forced to snack on something there at 1900, so I took sparkling mineral water, and a thing of salted mixed nuts, they were the healthiest options there. Not much healthy options at a bowling alley, where most are drinking.

Finally dinner time, by the time we got our food it was 2200 >_<, way past the time I'd like to eat, but I was so hungry I thought I'd passout. We were at a tapas restaurant, and it was our first time, so we didn't know what size to expect. My guy and I ordered 5 tapas. Let's just say that they were really yummy, but we were nowhere near not hungry. By the time we left the restaurant, we didn't feel hungry anymore the food was digesting. But this morning I woke up STARVING.

Food Log for Saturday 6 August 2011

Breakfast: I'm sure you can guess it, my normal musli with the dried fruits and nuts.

Snack: Didn't have one, because we woke up late in the morning, and ate a late breakfast.

Lunch: Friday's dinner leftover of grilled outer pork tenderloin, nice serving of salad, and a slice of sourdough rye bread with lots of nuts and grains.

Snack: knäckebröd with peanut butter, and cottage cheese.

Snack: sparkling mineral water and mixed salted nuts at the bowling alley.

Dinner: Tapas at the tapas restaurant, my guy and I split 5 tapas. 2.5 pieces small scampi tapas, half a pirogi tapas, 2 pieces tiny ribs, half piece of garlic bread, half of a piece quesadilla, and a half a bite of bacon wrapped date. You should have seen how small each serving was.

Exercise: 30 minute walk with the dog and my guy. Does bowling 2.5 games count as exercise? It was hot like a sauna in that place.

Today we had to go run errands, went to a home renovating place to get wood pieces. Was out most of the day, luckly I did take a bar with me today, and that saved me. But lunch time came and we were starving by then and had a long ways to home still. It was either McDonald's or our favorite sushi place. I said no to McDonald's there's just no way I'm going to sin that much. They don't have anything healthy there. At least sushi is not processed like McDonalds. So of course sushi is a much more healthier option than McDs.

Food log for today.

Breakfast: Usual musli with dried peaches, raspberries, goji berries, sultanas, sliced almonds, crushed walnuts with milk.

Snack: One of those bars I bought yesterday. I had it on the road, I took a huge thing of water with me.

Lunch: Miso soup and ten pieces of sushi.

Snack: Some melon slices.

Dinner: Left over pork pieces, salad, and rye bread.

Exercise: Took a day off. But was moving and lifting wood pieces, my arms are a little sore now.

You've done really well today and yesterday, given that you were out and about.

I know what it's like to forget snacks, for myself and my toddler. On Friday I did the same classic thing that you did of preparing snacks for myself and my toddler and then leaving the house without them. My boy's behaviour was awful, a full blown tantrum in the middle of the shop, all because there was a last minute rush to leave the house. Poor thing - I felt bad for him, even as I was thinking I need to eat now too :cry:. Anyway, I hope I don't make that same mistake any time soon.

But again, well done for passing by McD and choosing the healthy options. Am proud of you :)

You're doing very well Cali. I'm liking your menu. Looks very appetising :)

Thank you for the support Ashie:) Yeah it's not fun when you prepare to go out, and even had the bar out on the counter, just to leave it behind. Awwww poor boy, I know how he felt, like FOOOOD! Yes it's a learning lesson, and I hope I don't make that mistake again too. But we're human:(

I'm glad I passed up McDs too, it would have been the easy way out, but I told my guy "NO!" I love McDs, but I want to lose weight. Now that I've been eating GI/GL way, I don't really want that junk in my body much either. Maybe once in awhile in a desperate situation when I'm skinny. The bowling alley was worse, there was nothing but chocolates, candy bars, chips, crisps, fried stuff, junk on junk, sodas and just stuff that I would have normally been like yum. But yesterday it was ewwww, no no no, I don't want to take advantage of the situation and blow it completely. I tried to see what was the least sinful item. Too bad the nuts mix was salted, would have been better if it was unsalted. My guy jokingly offered to lick the salt off of them, but I of course declined. It's a long funny story, well I guess I might as well write it out so you can understand the joke.

An old classmate of my guy once told him about a job he did at an old lady's house, he's a carpenter. She would always offer him peanuts, and he thought wow what a nice old lady. So oneday when she offered him peanuts and some coffee, he said to the old lady "wow you really love peanuts, since you always have a big bowl of them." She replies "No, I don't like peanuts at all." Of course he asked "Then why do you always have a big bowl of them then?" Her reply was "I just like eating the chocolate off of chocolate covered peanuts." :9529:

On another note, I even turned Burger King down last night. My guy offered to get me something there on the way home, since at the tapas place I wasn't full. It was almost midnight, so it would have been a triple nono.

:D at the peanut story. Heehee and yuk at the same time. I will definitely be telling this story to my friends. It will become an urban myth :D

Yeah, I know what they sell at bowling alleys - it's not pretty. And well done for skipping the fast food before bed time too.

Yes the peanut story is so ewwww and funny at the same time. When my guy said he'd lick the salt off for me like the old lady, our whole group laughed so much that everyone was looking at us. They all grew up together so they know the guy and the story.

I think your weekend efforts were fab. You kept on track and made good choices when you were out. It gets easier, doesn't it , to resist all the fast foods once our bodies have detoxed from them. You burned loads of cals bowling and shifting wood so double bonus points for you!!
The chocolate peanut story would put you off peanuts for life!!!! So funny though!

LOL! Licked off the chocolate...grrrross. No wonder they were salted loool

Thank you Molly, it makes me really happy that you approved of my weekend choices. The whole time I thought to myself "What would Molly say or do?" :)

Ah gee whiz!! I'm no expert either but thank you for the very nice compliment. I'm happy to share my experiences good and bad.

OMG! I woke up and did my morning ritual of weighing myself. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! I gained .6lbs overnight :doh:! OMG! Bad bad sushi rice! I shouldn't have taken 10 pieces, I should have had just 5 pieces, so at least I wouldn't be hungry but not full :(.

It went straight to my bum! :sigh:

Today we're going to a different town, got a lot of things to do. But this time, I'm taking only a salad. I did my research in advance, luckly this town has a MAX, a Swedish burger place that has a lot of healthy options. They have salads with bulgar, beans or salad instead of fries, GI friendly burgers that include fullgrain buns. They really put McDs to shame, and even some restaurants to shame for the healthy options they have there. So I'm gonna get the grilled chicken salad with bulgar, I think it's a much better option than say Swedish meatballs with potatoes all covered in gravy.

Last edited:
Don't panic!!! .6 lbs may be fluid or totm etc or if a genuine gain, it is a small one!!!
Keep at it, just watch portion control.
Another useful tip I read( dr Rob Thompson) is to eat the leafy veg/ salad and protein part of your meal first. Push the heavier carbs ( bread, potato, rice, pasta) to one side and eat a little of this AFTER you have finished the veg/ protein. This way you will be more inclined to leave some on your plate. Even when I have a wrap, I always leave the thick folded piece on the plate. This reduces the White carb element of my meal by about a fifth!
Another mantra: just because it's on your plate doesn't mean you have to eat it!
Good planning for today, so well done

Thank you Molly I will keep that in mind today and of course forever:) I thought I did great by giving my guy two pieces, but two pieces wasn't enough.

Today will be this guy when I'm out, here's a link to the salad Max Chicken Sallad | Max serverar Sveriges godaste hamburgare! Välkommen in! I will order. I'll have a sparkling mineral water instead of a coke. I think this is much more GI friendly than anything I ate out this weekend. Let me know what you think :)

Cali, that link won't open and I can't open from google either. Anyhow, from your earlier description it looks good best the chicken and salad part first and then have the bulgar, possibly leaving some if it is a large portion. In any event, you have the rest of your days menu to cut back a little if lunch is a bit more than you allowed for. I always try to drink up to 500 mls water with each meal. I can sip at it while others ate having dessert or still working their way through large mains.
Enjoy your day.
Enjoy.

Today went pretty good. I must say I'm pretty pleased with the things I ate today. Healthy choices and some yoga. Too bad it's been raining like cats and dogs here, so I wasn't able to go on a walk yesterday or today. I really want some chocolate right now, but I'm trying to be good, tomorrow's weekly weigh in day, and ummmm I gotta try to make up from the weekend.

Today's food log.

Breakfast: Usual musli with dried peaches, raspberries, goji berries, sultanas, sliced almonds, crushed walnuts and milk.

Snack: Had 1/4 of an Allevo low calorie and low GI bar in the car, I had in my purse this time.

Lunch: Grilled chicken salad at MAX, it had very little chicken, small amount of bulgar, but a lot of veggies :) I wasn't full from it, but it took the hunger away.

Snack: Cottage cheese, and knäckebröd with some ajvar.

Dinner: Chicken breast meat with Jamaican jerk seasoning and lemon, broccoli, and quinoa. Some melon after dinner.

Snack: Japanese green tea.

Exercise: Pushups, crunches, and 34 minutes of yoga. Did a lot of walking around today while we were out doing errands and shopping. But I still miss my morning walk :(

Like Irish Molly says dont worry as the slight weight increase could be for a number of reasons. Also, it's not your official weigh in day so things may change for the better. Keep positive.

Back