Cali Sweden's Diary

Wow Molly your monthly weightloss on GL was really good! It's great that you were able to still consume about 1400 calories a day and still lose weight.

I guess with GI/GL we tend to snack a lot less and consume less sugary drinks. I notice I don't crave colas or anything while on GI/GL. I think the fruits do the trick for the sweet craving.

The first half of the food for today wasn't exciting since I needed to go grocery shopping this afternoon. Thank goodness that I wasn't hungry today like I was yesterday.

Breakfast: My usual unsweetened musli with dried raspberries, peaches, goji berries, sultanas and milk.

Snack: Didn't have one, as I wasn't hungry.

Lunch: Unsweetened musli with dried raspberries, peaches, sultanas, almond slices, crushed walnuts and milk. I was hungry but didn't have anything else GI/GL friendly to eat besides my musli.

Snack: Rye cracker (crisp bread) with cottage cheese and a nectarine.

Dinner: Homemade chili beans, with kidney beans, soy beans, chickpeas, red lentils, tomatoes, yellow bell peppers, onions, garlic and ground beef. I put a lot of veggies in that chili beans, so I didn't make a salad. I had a bigger serving then I should have but it's a lot of water in my chili. I baked cornbread for my guy, as he said it wasn't the same to have chili without my cornbread. Nothing beats the smell of freshly baked homemade cornbread, so I took two bites :(

Exercise: 30 minute walk with the dog, pushups, crunches and 25 minutes of yoga.

I am impressed with your shopping trip. Well done on nearly fitting down a size. A few weeks more and you'll be there. Seeing the inches drop off is a good incentive to keep going.
Your shelves are well stocked now. I really like the sound of your crispbread with quinoa in it. It does get a bit addictive, checking out labels and realising just how many additives, sugars etc are in foods.
Enjoy trying your new foods.
Did you order a book? What one did you go for?

Yeah I was so shocked at what things have sugar as the first or second ingredient. Or which things use normal flour, I put all those things back on the shelf right away. They don't get anywhere near my basket.

I haven't had time to look at any books yet. I went to run errands, came home my guy and his buddy came home. I started cooking dinner, then we ate and hungout for a bit. Soon after our guest left I began posting on here :)

Maybe I can get a couple look at a few books before I go to bed :)

CaliSweden said:
Wow Molly your monthly weightloss on GL was really good! It's great that you were able to still consume about 1400 calories a day and still lose weight.

I guess with GI/GL we tend to snack a lot less and consume less sugary drinks. I notice I don't crave colas or anything while on GI/GL. I think the fruits do the trick for the sweet craving.

Once the blood sugars are level through the day, we should be craving free. You may find certain foods will still kick off cravings but you can learn to avoid them.
When having fruit, I always chop it up finely and then have it with a few mixed seeds. This way I eat more slowly, and the brain has time to receive a tummy full message. Otherwise if I just munch down an apple or a couple of plums they are gone in an instant.

I don't know what my trigger foods are yet. I guess one week isn't long enough to figure it out. I looked in the Swedish GI book I borrowed, and saw that it had a section about GL, not big but it helped explained that you want 10 or less on GL chart, and in a whole day to have 100 or less GL. Pretty interesting, I'm going to go look at some books online that you guys were recommending.

On a very happy note, my yoga dvds came in today :) I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow for a more indepth yoga practice.

Hi Everyone

I've been reading this thread with interest as I've tried Atkins and Dukan but am so bored! Although I did lose weight on Dukan, I didn't on Atkins and I think it's because I'm not cut out to be eating so much meat. I really missed fruit! My hair is falling out really badly and having read up on it this is another side effect of lchf diets for an unfortunate few.

I've been on holiday for two weeks and not surprisingly have gained 4kg due to eating carbs. This made me think about low carbing and I don't think it's realistic to live that way forever. That's why I'd like to try out a low GI plan but it's all rather confusing :(.

I'm going to order a book and read up a little more but nice to meet you all :D

Hi Ransch! Welcome to the GI/GL section! As a fellow ex lowcarber I know exactly how you feel. I still have ugly scars from the rash and hives I got during LCHF. It's another side effect of low carbing. Not everyone gets it, but I've read on another forum that some other's have ran into the burning rashes, or hair falling out, or hair falling out and burning scalp.

I think for me it was too much saturated fats and dairy, that caused my body to have a reaction. I don't want to show my back or lower neck much now because of the ugly scars that's left behind. I hope they will go away oneday.

I agree with you that it's not realistic to live atkin's type diets for life, at least for me, since I love veggies and fruits a lot. You should also look up books on GL. I'm doing that right now actually. There are book recommendations on another thread. Molly got me leaning towards GL now, you're allowed alot more different types of food than GI. But GL is GI's newer sister.

Last week I thought GI/GL sounded really confusing. But after bugging the girls on here, mostly Molly, I've gotten a really good feel on what it is and what to eat. They've been a really big help for my transition into GI/GL :)

You're puppy is sooooo cute! It reminds me of my dog when she was a puppy :)

Here's my food log for the day. I was a little bad today. How much damage does a couple of bites do??? I'm scared >_<

Breakfast: Usual unsweetened musli with dried raspberries, peaches, goji berries, sultanas, almond slices, crushed walnuts and milk.

Snack: Skipped, I wasn't hungry

Lunch: Leftover chili beans from last night. Stole a bite of corn bread>_<

Snack: Knäckebröd with cottage cheese and a peach

Dinner: Again leftover chili beans. I made a lot, will have to freeze some down :) Stole a couple of bites of cornbread :(

Exercise: 30 minute walk with the dog, pushups, crunches and 25 minutes of yoga. I found out that with walking and yoga I burn 451 calories :) I was pretty happy about that.

Wow, you're so good! Keep up the good work and exercise and don't panic, we're all human!

Cali, food looked good today. Be careful of missing your snacks. Remember GL is about keeping sugar levels even throughout the day.
A couple of bites of bread is ok.
If you want a nice substitute for bread you should try the wheatfree oat scone recipe from page 2 of the recipe thread. I just make up half the recipe and bake it in a small loaf tin. I cut it into 10 slices and freeze them in two slice batches.
This is my version of it:

250 Medium Porridge Oats
250ml Natural Yoghurt
1 Tablespns Olive Oil
1 Teaspoons bicarb of soda
Good Pinch Salt

1. Mix porridge oats, salt, bread soda
2. Mix yoghurt and olive oil
3. Mix all ingredients together
4. Grate a small apple into the mixture.
Add teaspoon mixed seeds( sunflower, linseed)
5. Cook for 30-40mins at 180c

I find this a fab substitute for bread and even as a sweet treat.

Even if I don't feel hungry, should I still have a snack??? I know the old habits of if you're not hungry you shouldn't eat thing with other diets, but does that apply to GI/GL??? Sorry just a bit confused.

Wow your bread sounds awesome, and freezing it in portions sounds like a really great idea. I will have to try that out for sure. I can just imagine the yummy smell of fresh baked GI/GL bread mmmmmmmmmm. Is the oatmeal ml or grams? In your recipe you didn't write which one it is :)

Lol ! Oatmeal is in grams. All of them, Holford, Denby etc will say to eat regularly to sustain sugar levels and stave off cravings or hunger pangs. We have to get away from the mentality of thinking we must go long periods without food. Nigel Denby calls his website Dietfreedom.
A snack can be very small, say a dessert spoon of dried fruit or one chopped plum with a few mixed seeds. One very small cracker with a little cottage cheese and a couple of grapes or a cracker with a teaspoon of peanut butter. I carry the 30g Nakd bars for a snack. These contain fruit, oats and seeds so have protein and carbs. When I have a snack, I tend to eat a little less for lunch, obviously as my sugar levels are stable.
Do try it for the next week. If you think you are having too many calories overall, just reduce the main meals a little so as you can have a snack mid morning and late afternoon. It does work!

Yes the old mentality of going for long time without food must be broken. I will work on it.

I will have to try it out tomorrow, of eating a snack even if it's a little one to keep the blood sugar leveled. Wow this diet is even better, gotta snack even if I'm not hungry :) What diet ever says that :) I'm loving it more and more.

Thanks for the great tips again Molly. Wouldn't know what to do if it wasn't for all this great support :)

Ok Molly I took your advice this morning. I wasn't hungry but after my yoga practice, I had a knäckebröd with a dessert spoon amount of organic sugarless peanut butter and no sugar added jam spread on it. Not the biggest snack, but it gave I do feel little bit more alive. Yoga kicked my butt today.

I reread a bit of Nigel Denby last night. He advises to go no longer than four hours without a snack. Two snacks in the day and one of these to be fruit.
Examples being:
Fruit;
1 kiwi
I plum
Small handful of berries
6 or 7 grapes ( note these are high sugar)
1 peach
Etc

Other snacks
1 mini Edam or similar cheese
3 cherry tomatoes
5 olives
1 oatcake with tsp of cream cheese
1 dessert spoon hummous with some vegetable dippers( cucumber, celery, pepper)
1 dessert spoon salsa with veg dippers
1/2 hardboiled egg with tsp cream cheese
1 dessert spoon pate with eh dippers
Etc
So, you see snacks are tiny!! But just enough to top up sugar levels.
As to your snack today, I'd leave out the jam. Sugar free jam is ok as an occasional treat but I think it best to retrain our tastebuds away from sugary tastes.
So this afternoon, have your little fruit snack.
Be good!!

Thank you Molly for the tip :) I so can't wait for my books to arrive. :)

I sinned today, I won't hide it or deny it. Day went really good, except for when my guy got home from work he had a gift. One of the guys he was working with, his wife made some thai spring rolls. The guy gave it to my guy as a thank you gift.

I took two spring rolls. But luckly they are little spring rolls, taking one was bad as is but taking the 2nd one I pushed it way too far. My guy was like take more, but I said no. So I guess it was good that I stopped at two, but I still took two of those small spring rolls.:banghead: Goodness I'm doing bad aren't I ? :(

Ok so here's my food log for today.

Breakfast: the usual musli with dried raspberries, peaches, goji berries, sultanas, sliced almonds, crushed walnuts and milk.

Snack: A knäckebröd with a dessert spoon of organic no sugar added peanut butter and no sugar added mixed berry jam.

Lunch: Chili bean leftover, with two of those small spring rolls.

Snack: cottage with a knäckebröd and a nectarine.

Dinner: Outer pork tenderloin, with lots of leafy salad, and a rye sourdough with full grains and seed slice bread. One of those uber healthy breads. Dessert was some melon, it's friday night I had to splurge.

Exercise: 30 minutes walk with the dog, push ups, crunches, and 38 minutes of yoga. Yoga really kicked my butt today. Who knew that going from 25 min to 38 minutes would be such a huge difference. I need to get stronger. I was really lucky with my walk today, just as I was getting home from the walk, it started raining, and it's been pouring most of the day now.

Mmm...just reading about all the health conscious food you eat is making me hunger Cal lol

Sorry Missy, not trying to make you hungry there. Ashie and I write daily food logs to show what we ate, to keep ourselves in check, to motivate ourselves, have others see what we do, and have Molly check us :)

Plus it helps us learn what to eat and do. It's really not a diet, it feel like just making better choices. :)

Back