Calling all Geordie lasses

Haha! I love that guy from big brother. The accent can be annoying though. I work for a prison law firm so have clients all over the country (in prisons all over the country) and was trying to speak to an officer Moore. I was pronouncing it Moore as in moo-er whereas they say it as 'more.' Took a while fr the switchboard to realise what I was saying. Same goes for giving prison numbers... 'his number is A4....'
'prison numbers don't start with an E'
'no A'
'sorry?'
'ALPHA'

Lol. Some people do find it sexy which is nice to know lol :)

Splenderella - My BIL and his family emigrated to Oz a year ago and I have great fun in teasing them about their new accents, particularly as he swore that he would retain his English one!

RB - I am always being asked to imitate the Big Brother announcer! My friends also keep wanting me to say "weird" as they think it sounds so cute with my accent. Very strange people! ;-)

Us Southerners like to think that we don't have an accent... but, perhaps, to a Northerner, we do? I definitely "dumb down" my accent if I'm talking to someone who doesn't pronounce their aitches and tees "properly"!

But fortunately, I don't speak Engleeesh wiz a French accent!

Us Southerners like to think that we don't have an accent... but, perhaps, to a Northerner, we do? I definitely "dumb down" my accent if I'm talking to someone who doesn't pronounce their aitches and tees "properly"!

But fortunately, I don't speak Engleeesh wiz a French accent!

Yes, you Southerners definitely do have accents! I particularly love walking around the Bethnal Green area - it's like being in Eastenders but without much of the awful drama. :D

Even the Queen has an accent!

I did actually pick up a French accent when I spoke English after living there. Whenever I returned home, it took me a while to adjust and many English people mistook me for French. :eek:

<coughing and spluttering> I certainly do NOT have an Eastenders type accent... or a Hampshire HOG one, come to that. I just speak "properly" (hee hee!) and pronounce my aitches and tees!! (My other half is a northerner and is always teasing me for my POOSH accent, he says!)

Haha! I love that guy from big brother. The accent can be annoying though. I work for a prison law firm so have clients all over the country (in prisons all over the country) and was trying to speak to an officer Moore. I was pronouncing it Moore as in moo-er whereas they say it as 'more.' Took a while fr the switchboard to realise what I was saying. Same goes for giving prison numbers... 'his number is A4....'
'prison numbers don't start with an E'
'no A'
'sorry?'
'ALPHA'

Lol. Some people do find it sexy which is nice to know lol :)

Oh god, I used to work in a prison and we had a Geordie guy working on the radios! Often hard to understand, particularly when the signal wasn't too strong, although it did feel like we were in big brother!! Particularly when he said stuff like "Prisoner movement to commence at 10:02 am", just kept expecting him to say that so and so is in the diary room....

We always get asked to say 'byker grove' too! Lol x

lol, me too.

My Oh still doesn't understand my A's he thinks I say E. Mind I don't understand half of what he says either!

It's amazing the number of people from around our way Jo that actually sound like real farmers! - but not us! We could go to tea with the Queen together no problem - just so long as she could eat Dukan cake!

<coughing and spluttering> I certainly do NOT have an Eastenders type accent... or a Hampshire HOG one, come to that. I just speak "properly" (hee hee!) and pronounce my aitches and tees!! (My other half is a northerner and is always teasing me for my POOSH accent, he says!)

Go on, admit it, Jo. I can just picture you coming down the apples and pears for a cup of Rosie Lee to pour into your north and sarf before heading out to the Queen Vic. Either that or you're standing by a gate with a bit of straw in your mouth, drinking cider and admiring your new combine harvester. :D

<shuddering>

DD thinks I'm a cockney <sniffle>
and you're posting strange things I can't listen to (cos shared office!)

I'm a Milton Keynes girl living in London, and my boss is convinced that I sound like a posh west country accent! I mean I know the MK accent is a bit mixed but really?! Haha

ha ha poor Jo :D
And RB i used to live in milton keynes - ive lived all over !

Back