Calling any diabetics

Judith

After most of my life fighting overweight(am 56) I developed diabetes in 2005 and I am struggling immensely.

I have always avoided very low calorie diets but am wondering whether this might be an option for me at leaset to get the weight shifting. Unfortunately I also suffer with irritable bowel and that restricts my life greatly.

I am hoping that someone on the CD also has diabetes and will be able to offer me some advice.

Heres hoping :sigh:

Judith

As far as I know theres no reason why you cant do Cd but must obviously be closely monitored by your dr. I was diagnosed with type 2 last year and asked then. Im sure itll be ok.

Hi Judith,

I know that Lipotrim is given out in diabetic clinics, and CD is more or less the same thing.

I did go to an exhibition run by Diabetes UK and CD were there as an exhibitor.

Might be worth contacting Diabetes UK, they have a very good helpline that you can contact to get advice from advisors. Their webiste is www.diabetes.org.uk

Best wishes,
Louale x

Yes, diabetics can do CD, but it is very closely monitored and whether you can go straight on to the VLCD plan of Cambridge will depend. There are other CD plans that you may have to use instead, or at least as a run up to a VLCD.

I'll alert Linda. She's the fountain of all knowledge on these matters :cool:

There must be GP involvement whether you are no medication or not. Unfortunately without this no CD programme can be commenced not even 1500 cals.

Type II diabetics diet controlled and those on Metformin/Glucophage can use any programme including SS. With the Metformin/Glucophage ideally the medication should be reduced prior to commencing either SS or SS+.

Different rules apply to Type II diabetics on any other medication and Type I diabetics.

Blood sugars are strictly monitored on all programmes.

With a VLCD blood sugar levels can drop very quickly so care must be taken at all times. Close contact with your CDC and GP/diabetic nurse is very important, so is sticking to the programmes exactly.

The upside to this is that over time the results are excellent and stabilisation of sugars can occur resulting in medication being stopped in some cases.:)

Thank you all for your input.

Linda - I am on a background insulin as well as metformin and also on numerous other prescribed meds!! If I did go onto one of the low calorie diets I would not go on the very low as I know that would be too hard for me. Over the years I have successfully dieted by calorie counting - lost 5 stone and put 6 back on!! and now with the diabetes following the menopause and already being an apple shape I am like two michellin men stuck together!!
Seriously though I am so uncomfortable and getting nowhere fast although I have managed to start walking during the past month - is exercise part of the CD?

Am still open to as much info as any of you can provide - I would love to hear from anyone in my situation and being successful dieting.

Linda - why does the metformin need to be reduced before commencing cd?

Many thanks everyone.

Judith :wave_cry:

Hi Judith

Metformin needs to be reduced as sugar levels can drop too quickly.

In view of the insulin you would be able to do CD but as follows:

Two weeks on 1500 cals (1pack plus low GI food) There is a programme in the booklet supplied by the CD Counsellor.

If sugars are stable then move down to 1200 cals (2 packs plus less food) for 2 weeks.

If sugars are stable then move to 1000 cal programme (2 packs plus less food).

Then 1000 part (a) for 2 weeks (still 2 packs however you remove more of the carbs in this programme).

Finally 810 cals (3 packs plus one meal a day from protein and green from the allowable foods).

Unfortunately, as you are on Insulin you would not be allowed to go below the 810 programme.

Not all CDC's are qualified to see diabetic clients, where abouts are you?

Hi Linda

I am in Coventry.

I would really like to find out a lot more about the CD before I approach anyone. I always like to know exactly what I am taking on and being realistic as to whether I can cope with it. Is there a booklet I can get hold of? - because you listing packs, foods from certain lists etc. it doesnt mean anything to me - whenever I have tried to find out about certain diet regimes I have found that I need to pay/make a commitment.
Over the past 35 years I have done, Slimming Club, Weight Watchers, Rosemary Conley, Slimming World and was very successful but never kept it off longterm. :sigh:

I know an excellent counsellor who covers your area.

The booklets are supplied by the CDC when you meet with them.

All CDC's work differently, some charge a consultancy fee, some charge for booklets, the majority like myself only charge for the packs.

The best thing is to contact a CDC and ask for information, if you were to continue they would need to provide you with all the information to take to your GP.

A phone call is not commitment but a step in the right direction,here is the link to the CD website you will find lots of information on there, unfortunately, the Weight Care With Cambridge booklet I was referring to is not on there.

Cambridge Diet home page

Happe

Are you on any medication for the diabetes or are you able to treat it with diet and exercise? Are you doing CD or something else?

:wave_cry:

Back