Can 70 syns really be spent as and when...

Victoria_30

I was just wondering if anyone, like me spends their syns as and when needed rather that feeling like you "have" to have them daily? I normally spend my 10 a day on alcohol and choccy as and when I need it. I've been with SW 4 weeks, lost every week and pretty much saved my syns for the weekend for example, I had 30 last night on Vodka! Will this catch up with me? My losses so far are Wk1, 2.5lb, wk 2, 2lb, week 3 0.5lb. I do exercise (gym, aerobics) most days therefore surely this is ok to do and still lose? I'm not going over 70 syns pw but do understand that I may have to take it down at some point. My goal is to lost 1st 7 lbs... Thanks x

I think SW like you to have your syns daily so that the 'weekend binge' mentality doesn't happen, but if it's working for you then carry on!:)

i have done that a few times, as i like to keep syns for the weekend incase i go out for a drink or meal. if i don't i then have my syns on chocolate, wine etc. i think as long as you don't go over your weekly syns you should be okay. and exerise always helps too.

I've been only doing SW for 2 weeks, but when I first joined...being able to save syns for the weekend was an absolute must and my C said that it was ok to save syns for alcohol at the weekend!! It hasnt effected my losses yet and i've done it every weekend so far! xxx

I prefer to use my syns a the weekend and also after WI ( and, by the way, I don't drink alcohol). I don't have a treat every day but some people like to have choc or alcohol every day so it suits them to use syns daily.
When i first joined SW about 7 years ago it was routinely suggested that you could use your syns weekly rather than daily and the idea was that they are YOUR syns to use on what YOU want when YOU want.
Using your syns at the weekend isn't binging if that's what you planned to do and if you don't mind having few syns on other days.

Last edited:
That's the $6 million question! As said SW don't like to encourage the binge mentality at the weekend. But they said you can do it as long as you can cope with depriving yourself of syns on the other days. Personally I would suggest still having minimum of 5 a day so you can have a little of something you fancy every day. And it may also depend when your weigh in is. If it's on a monday, then perhaps a weekend binge isn't such a great idea.

The only thing I'd like to add is that if you're not happy with whats happening at the scales, it may be something you may want to think about changing and see if it makes a difference. I always have my syns daily cos I couldnt comfortably live without them but I have an unfortunate allergy to alcohol so saving syns isnt such an issue to me cos when I go out I just have diet coke (poor me eh - OH loves it though!!!!). xxx

It is, but some consultants recommend that you aim for 10 syns a day. I have at least 5 a day and save left over syns for the weekend. I've lost over two stone doing it this way. However my loses did slow down and I tried to stop saving syns. My loses have been good since Christmas but I'm also doing the new version of Extra Easy so I'm not sure if not saving syns improved my losses. Mind you, I've given in this week and had 30 syns of alcohol on Saturday. I'll see what my loss is like at my WI in this Wednesday.

It is, but some consultants recommend that you aim for 10 syns a day. I have at least 5 a day and save left over syns for the weekend. I've lost over two stone doing it this way. However my loses did slow down and I tried to stop saving syns. My loses have been good since Christmas but I'm also doing the new version of Extra Easy so I'm not sure if not saving syns improved my losses. Mind you, I've given in this week and had 30 syns of alcohol on Saturday. I'll see what my loss is like at my WI in this Wednesday.

Really? My consultant said go for all 15, and when you find your weight loss starts to plateau thats when you start cutting back

When i did SW last time, I had 15 a day and lost weight fine :confused:

Really? My consultant said go for all 15, and when you find your weight loss starts to plateau thats when you start cutting back

When i did SW last time, I had 15 a day and lost weight fine :confused:

I think your consultant is right.
I have always worked on 15 a day, and it's worked for me.

Not wanting to preach, but had you thought about the health implications of spending so many syns on alcohol. If you're doing SW for your health, you ought to consider the amount of alcohol you put in your body too!

Good luck x

I've been wondering about this too, I'm actually finding it hard to have all my syns on a normal healthy mon-fri plan, but I've always liked a drink at the weekend so I'm thinking about saving mine too. I like the op's idea of having 5 a day and saving the rest.

i know saving syns is allowed but we have syns so we stop our body going into fast state and not losing any weight but if u aren't having any syns each day are u not risking that happening.
if it works for u great but i couldn't do without my syns each day but thats probably cause i don't drink and i love chocolate.
i have 15 syns a day my con said aim for 10 but i feel if u have 15 u have something to cut down if u start to platue.
i suppose whether it be saving syns or having different number of syns if it works and u lose most weeks then its working for u. and keep doing it that way its when u aren't losing its time to change something

I can't see how the body could possibly go into fasting when we are eating so much healthy food outside of our syns. I thought syns were there so that we don't feel deprived and therefore likely to give up.
This is my 1st week (although not my first time) on SW. I have tried to aim for 5 syns a day, saving the rest for a few glasses of wine at the weekend. I've stuck to 70 for the week but do have concerns about not having anywhere to go if I need to reduce.
If I have good weight loss tonight I might try 105 for the week and see how it goes. I have about 3 stone to lose so a long way to go.

I go virtually syn free during the week and have my syns at the weekend, if I need to. It's working for me so far, we'll see how it goes.

I don't understand this whole "If you don't have your syns your bosy stors fat" malarky. You're still eating. If you don't eat, or eat hardly anything, your body stores fat but your still eating, just free foods plus your healthy extras, so why would it store fat? Doesn't make sense to me.

i think (i'm not a con so i'm not sure) its becuase most free food is very low in calories so even if we ate loads we still might not be reaching the amount of calories we need for a day. any big change our body notices a difference and kicks in defences like i said thought if it working for u then its ok u r doing out but everyone met is different and if it goes to slow for your body then it can stop weightloss.
some people who don't eat much though out the day might get this
having 5 syns a day and saving some for weekends is a good way to get that balance like u r doing
the otherthing like u said is deprivation i suppose if u like a drink and think i can't have my nite out cause i'm at slimming world u r going to give up quick but if u don't have your little treat each day u may fail to so have 5 syns a day and using some at weekends is a good balance

What I do, is as my weigh in is on a saturday- I go over my daily syn limit by around 20, ie i'll go out with the girls, or have a takeaway, and sunday and monday I have syn free days- its worked well, ive enjoyed my saturday night

Back