Can I vent a little about well meaning parents?

And yet regarded as one of the healthiest diets we've ever had Reg.

My father was born in 1936 and remembers the taste of his first banana. Sweets were rationed until the early 50's - when my folks were teenagers.

My parents cannot abide waste. I usually make a huge pot of bolognese so I can freeze some. Dad can't seem to understand that and always has seconds as "it's a shame to waste it". :rolleyes::D

ohh and when i was eating this caramel egg this morning my mum did a shocked face and tutted......you cant give me a chocolate egg and expect me to just look at it!!!

lol..

ColJack said:

Ahhhhhh I had an upsetting incident today where I was given a summer dress that wouldn't be dissimilar to a tent... I'd fit two of me in it, what size do they think I am??? I am upset and disillusioned. Help!!

Ask if they still have a receipt as "you love the dress but it's the wrong size and it would be SUCH a shame not to be able to wear it over the summer!"

Mousie said:
Ask if they still have a receipt as "you love the dress but it's the wrong size and it would be SUCH a shame not to be able to wear it over the summer!"

Thanks Mousie! Unfortunately it was brought back from holidays so no receipt, it's one of those one size summer dresses that are loose from the very top so completely shapeless.... The colour is gorgeous but I feel like they think I'm Henry Hippo if they don't realise it's miles too big. My OH suggested I belt it under my bust so I'll try that today. Think it could end up in a charity shop....

I think the problem is that parents see food and loading you up with it as "love". I know that my mother did this, it stemmed from the war and giving someone your ration was seen as an act of love.
And yes we should say no, but we're conditioned to accept what we really don't want to eat to avoid upsetting folk.Sometimes it's just "easier" and staves off confrontation.

I agree with you Judy. I am a child from that era and my parents used to save their sweetie coupons, along with sugar, butter and cheese coupons for us kids. It was a selfless act on their part, born out of love for us.
Every morning when we went to school there was a chocolate bar for us to take to school, so the pattern was set.
I suppose at my age I am the same generation as your parents Medusa, but I do understand 100% how you feel. It must be infuriating for you especially when they do not understand the principles of what you are doing.

Mel :D

My 2 are teenagers and yet mum still brings chocolates and cakes and stuff for them when they visit. As if they don't have any of that in the house anyway!

When I was a child I always had to finish what was on my plate. Didn't matter if I was full or if it was the kidney beans I loathed. Waste was wrong. I appreciate they grew up with rationing - like judimac's parents - and understand where they come from yet I still find myself forcing food down when really I'm full. It's almost subconscious. I have to be very aware when I'm eating and I've been so careful not to have my two carry on eating when they are full.

That struck so many cords for me. It just was not allowed in our household to leave anything. Unfortunately that has stayed with me and I sometimes struggle to finish everything on my plate. If I do leave something I have a feeling of what can only be termed as a sense of failure.
Strange isn't it but I have never understood it until you started this thread. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference to me now the "light has been turned on ". I always thought it was because I was a piggy person.

And yet regarded as one of the healthiest diets we've ever had Reg.

My father was born in 1936 and remembers the taste of his first banana. Sweets were rationed until the early 50's - when my folks were teenagers.

My parents cannot abide waste. I usually make a huge pot of bolognese so I can freeze some. Dad can't seem to understand that and always has seconds as "it's a shame to waste it". :rolleyes::D

Oh my God !!!! I grew up with those words ringing in my ears and even now if DH has left something on his plate I will automatically eat part of it or it has to be reconstituted as another meal.

ohh and when i was eating this caramel egg this morning my mum did a shocked face and tutted......you cant give me a chocolate egg and expect me to just look at it!!!

Now that made me laugh !!!!

This is a really interesting thread on many counts and just to expand a little...........

At work, the guy who has the unit opposite me and who is a great bloke. I am very fond of him and we have such a laugh together but I honestly want to knock his block off when he passes comments on what I eat.
I always take a salad of all free and s.s. foods, a yogurt, a container of fruit salad and perhaps a piece of fruit.........all free food. He can not get his head around this and has to make some smart Alec remark like the oh so unfunny " eating again !! Thought you were on a diet " I swear I want to take up one of the antique pistols I have for sale and bloody shoot him !!!!

I have tried to explain to him that the biscuits he scoffs, be it only 2, with his sugar laden tea, might look like nothing, but in fact contain more harmful calories than about 3 days supply of my food........ he just does not get it.

Thanks Mousie! Unfortunately it was brought back from holidays so no receipt, it's one of those one size summer dresses that are loose from the very top so completely shapeless.... The colour is gorgeous but I feel like they think I'm Henry Hippo if they don't realise it's miles too big. My OH suggested I belt it under my bust so I'll try that today. Think it could end up in a charity shop....

Try a soft corset. You should be able to find one in a pretty fabric. Emphasise the good, reduce the bad! :p Plus then you could wear it off the shoulder maybe? VERY sexy! ;)

Try a soft corset. You should be able to find one in a pretty fabric. Emphasise the good, reduce the bad! :p Plus then you could wear it off the shoulder maybe? VERY sexy! ;)

What a good idea Mousie, a very unmousie idea lol, very glam

Thanks for your ideas guys but I think it'll be making a trip to my local charity shop to meet someone who might make more use of it than me! It's unredeemable!!!

What a shame slim. :( They have noticed you've lost weight I take it? Do you cover yourself up like I do? I took my cardy off in work the other day and two colleagues remarked on how much thinner I looked. Not yet ready enough to risk shedding more l;ayers quite yet though.

I had a dire weekend ... my aunt's 70th party. Off we toddled (all 9 of us), stopping at a pub for lunch on the way. The menu was chips with everything. :eek:

At the "do" there was a buffet my bestie always calls "yellow food" - you know the stuff. Vol-au-vents, sausage rolls, mini pasties, chicken dippers, cocktail sausages yada yada...

Next day we all met up at a cousin's house for a brunch but his mum had brought all the left over buffet stuff so it was more of the yellow food. :D

There was a salad. Half a limp iceberg, three cherry tomatoes and half a cucumber.

As my aunt said it was a "shame to waste it" :D - she's my father's sister fillymum so same upbringing.

I gave up in the end ... :break_diet:

Hi medusa, yellow food - I love it! I'll be using the expression - completely describes it!! They haven't said anything about any weight loss yet. It's a bit of a bug bear as my mother told me yesterday I reminded her of a relation (who's bigger than me) and I got annoyed and said "oh great so now you're saying I'm really fat" and stormed out. I was so mad. Why is weight an issue for some people? I am overweight but I'm sorting it. Some people think it's their right to discuss it as a topic - it's not - unless it's about themselves. I feel like just staying away from home to be honest..

Sometimes I really don't think they register what they say. For years my brother was the one who'd "inherited the good family genes" and having finally gone to uni in his 30's I then had "Well, it's about time. He always felt intimidated about the fact that you'd been and we know he was always the bright one." Well ta mum. Ugly AND stupid. :D:D

Sometimes I really don't think they register what they say. For years my brother was the one who'd "inherited the good family genes" and having finally gone to uni in his 30's I then had "Well, it's about time. He always felt intimidated about the fact that you'd been and we know he was always the bright one." Well ta mum. Ugly AND stupid. :D:D

Bloody hell !!!!

That is unbelievable.........it costs nothing to think before speaking.

You wicked girl intimidating your poor brother.

Why do families think they can say horrible things to each other that they wouldn't dream of saying to those outside the family? I mean, I know you can't choose your family and mine are generally great but I would never say something negative about my family member's appearance yet they feel they can say it about mine... Maybe it's time to bite back!! Or probably I will brush it under the carpet as always til the next time something is said... That's more likely. It's not nice when these things are said and they are so ingrained as often perceptions of kids when they're very small will remain the opinion of most for the rest of their lives. I don't know whether to discuss it with my mother or not - did you talk to yours about their comments?

My mum came out with a lovely one a while back - I genuinely think she was trying to make me feel better - well. it had the opposite effect!
I am bridesmaid for a slim, size -8, legs up to her armpits friend and her sister (similar leggy build - size 10-12) sister is the other bridesmaid.

so I said to mum, that I would be busting a gut with the gym, sw - so that I was standing next to the 2 girls at the wedding and not feeling like a heiffer.

Mums response - Nat, with the best will in the world, you are NEVER going to look like those two.

Gee - thanks mum!!!

My mum came out with a lovely one a while back - I genuinely think she was trying to make me feel better - well. it had the opposite effect!
I am bridesmaid for a slim, size -8, legs up to her armpits friend and her sister (similar leggy build - size 10-12) sister is the other bridesmaid.

so I said to mum, that I would be busting a gut with the gym, sw - so that I was standing next to the 2 girls at the wedding and not feeling like a heiffer.

Mums response - Nat, with the best will in the world, you are NEVER going to look like those two.

Gee - thanks mum!!!

AHHHHHH!

Couldn't you just scream sometimes!!! It's a help to see it doesn't just happen me!! I'm also bridesmaid this year for my sister whos a slight size 8 and the other bridesmaid is also no more than a size 8 - I'm a 14!! So, I know what you're going through. Now that you mention it, my aunt did ask me last week was I going to start pounding the pavements with the upcoming wedding!!! I'd forgotten that!!! I tell you they're all out to get us ha ha!!! Well, what goes around comes around so I hope they get insulted sometime soon to know how it feels like!!

Back