CDC's, do you use incentives for your clients?

Coley

Re-starter
I'm wanting to set up something similar to "The big cold turkey" The Big Cold Turkey Ltd 2007 - The Pack for my clients.

I don't want to spend masses of cash so something simple and effective - like the big cold turkey!! apart from the stainless steel thingies aren't available by themselves.

Any ideas at all? and do you use anything like this for your clients??

Thanks!

xx

Teehee. What a great idea.

Having said that, I am so again extrinsic awards and motivators that I would never use them if I was a CDC.

Does look fun though;)

I think anything that supports and is encouraging would certainly help people stay on track......what a lovely idea.

I know...such a spoil sport eh :D
Why so against that sort of thing?
Because not only don't they usually work in the long term, but they can have the opposite effect.

Still...you could award yourself something for evertime your clients are successful. That would work:D

Hrm....was just thinking....a lot of people struggle. It was the lovely Tartanlass that gave me the idea, she was talking about how they get something - a sticker or something on their card? at scottish slimmers when they reach a certain amount lost, and like other clubs have the silver 7 and stuff.

I make my lot hold my blobby every time they lose 5lbs...and jig about the room, but not really a lasting reminder of what they've achieved is it? Being in teacher land, my parents and my brother use rewards for their kiddies - they do something so many times and then they get a certificate and a chocolate coin medal! (yes....aren't they bad bribing kiddies with chocolate:eek:). Would do the certificate thing, but a lot of my clients aren't quite as childish as meeeeee!!

A reward for me??!! lol. Well done me for? errrrrr......

I'm now thinking blue peter stylee...........totaliser for lbs lost!!

The original idea was a keyring with something missing and each time a certain amount, say a half stone or whatever is lost then something gets added to the keyring so that it gets more complete.

Arrrrrrgh, I should be doing uni work!! not thinking about totalisers and keyrings!!:whoopass:

The original idea was a keyring with something missing and each time a certain amount, say a half stone or whatever is lost then something gets added to the keyring so that it gets more complete.

LIKE THE SOUND OF THIS, BUT WHAT STYLE WOULD IT BE AND WHAT WOULD YOU ADD TO COMPLETE IT.....ooops sorry didnt mean to shout ....lol.

lol - shouty sonkie!!

I dunno. I had a look on line but searching for incentive keyrings didn't seem to bring anything sensible up!!

People don't always like to wear jewelry, I don't wear any at all, but I'd never dream of leaving the house without my keys so it would be a constant reminder but not so in your face all the time?

I need an inventor!!

I make my lot hold my blobby every time they lose 5lbs...and jig about the room, but not really a lasting reminder of what they've achieved is it?

Much better in my opinion! Think of all the calories you'll burn up:)

It's a quite complex argument that I will only get too wordy if I try to explain, but I think most people who have researched the subject would agree with me.

Of course, people are motivated by their needs and if you can work out those needs, then you're onto a winner. Usually it isn't really a sticker, bead or anything else, unless they are in control of it...if they can decide whether they have achieved what they aimed for. Not for each pound they have lost, but for the effort they put in.

Anyway...it is fun, but if your intested have a google on intrinsic rewards...you may find a really good way of using them that will work well for your clients and you'll have you fun planning it ;)

Oh dear.......now that opens a whole new giant can of worms!!!

arrrrrgh!! how on earth am I going to do that one?

Let me get this straight.....for instance, I'm going horse riding not because its excercise and will get me up in the morning, but because I like it....thats intrinsic.......if I went horse riding for fitness alone or that if I didn't, I'd get shouted at or something that extrinsic?

Intrinsic goals are not external rewards!! how on earth am I going to do that?:confused:

My little brain can't cope!

Let me get this straight.....for instance, I'm going horse riding not because its excercise and will get me up in the morning, but because I like it....thats intrinsic.......if I went horse riding for fitness alone or that if I didn't, I'd get shouted at or something that extrinsic?

LOL, no. Which ever way you're doing it for your own reasons....for you. Now, just say you get an award for going. Something you want. There is a chance that the focus will stop being on what orginally wanted out of horse riding, to whether you get that award.

What if that award stops? Would you want to go as much? You might say "yes", but research has shown that people don't.

Let me tell you a story....are you sitting comforably? Now...I'm not going to get this story dead right but it goes along sort of like this:

Some youths were playing football outside someone's house (okay...it's american and they were playing baseball...but since I'm not going to get the story dead right anyway..I'll translate it into English LOL)

The man who owned the house, hated it. It really annoyed him. However much he moaned, they just kept on playing outside. They even got their friends to join in.

So one day he said "Hi lads...everytime you play outside my house, I'm going to give you 50p each".

Of course the boys were confused, thought they'd met a right banana there, but still...50p was 50p. They weren't going to turn that down. And so they continued and sure enough, the man paid them.

One day the man said "I'm awfully sorry, but I just don't have any more money to pay you".

That was it...they were gone. No incentive there any more. They had forgotten why they were going there in the first place. The focus and incentive had changed.

Now, that's not to say people want to be moaned at either :D

Of course, it will be heaps of fun for everyone concerned at the beginning. Just be aware of what you might be getting yourself into. In a years time, you might wish you never started it, and find it difficult to stop.

Must admit i hate stickers ect for losing so much weight, reminds me of a kids chart but each to their own. With my clients i do have a fat blob 1lb and 5lb so when they have lost a certain amount they get a visual of their weight loss. I also do regular photos so they can see their acheivements and give them a copy .

julesrush

Must admit i hate stickers ect for losing so much weight, reminds me of a kids chart but each to their own. With my clients i do have a fat blob 1lb and 5lb so when they have lost a certain amount they get a visual of their weight loss. I also do regular photos so they can see their acheivements and give them a copy .

julesrush

I'm all for that :)

I'm really sorry Nicole :(

Reading this with interest as I don't do any incentives at the moment but had thought about it - couldn't decide if it was a good thing or not. But hey that's me - Miss Indecisive :)

Hiya Nicole!
I used to do a incentive with my clients when I first started in '05. It didn't work. Why? Well to be honest, every person in the world who is currently dieting have their own incentives already. That holiday, wedding, night-out, health problem, special outfit, confidence - the list is endless! They don't really need any more incentives from us - they've got a ton of reasons to stay on track already! You've probably noticed that anyone can fall off track at anytime, for any reason. This is because dieting is all psycological. I have clients doing sooooooooo well, losing weight weekly, new clothes, beaming smiles, then suddenly they call to rattle off the HUGE list of naughties they've scoffed for two days in a row! Why? Because they're human! If that brain gets hold of an idea, and punches willpower out the way, you're gonna eat hunny - no matter what anyone says, or any incentive on offer! It then takes motivation and encouragement to put the brain back to bed and carry on with dieting. But like a naughty child, sometimes Brain doesn't want to switch off, and the cravings continue.
What you CAN do, is ask your clients to jot down a list of why they want to lose weight when you first meet them. The list can be as long and personal as they wish. Get them to fold it up nice 'n small, and keep it in their purse. When they're having a crappy day, get them to take out the list and read it OUT LOUD! I learned from a psycotherapist, that being told something verbally doesn't always have the same impact as reading it for yourself in your own handwriting out loud!
They've got incentives - you just have to remind them of what they are occasionally!:p

Lainey xx

Oh dear dear dear!!!!:confused:

This is all rather complicated.

I rather like my sticker chart. I don't know why it works for me but I do know that I didn't have one when I did LL, or when I did Cambridge 1st time round. I have a problem with admitting when I fall off the wagon, so my chart is visable for everyone and I do put both my successful days and very very bad days on there. Maybe its just that I like stickers?

I already do the photo's and blobby thing.....what I was after is when people are away from me, or their PC they will have something to remind them of what they've achieved.

Anyway.....I think I shall have to scrub the incentive scheme. (nice story KD btw ;)), but I think I might go with Lainey's idea though!!:). Although that doesn't tell them what they've achieved they can draw a line through things when they have completed them (Mini styleeeeeeeee).

Shame incentives don't really work!!! booooo!!!!

:D:D:D Thank you all!!!

xx

Back