Cheap and cheerful 'must haves'!!

funcurls

Never gets tired of SW!
Hi troops,

I thought it would be quite nice to start a thread about the foods that we love that don't cost much (separate from the existing bargains/special offers/anything useful thread!!) I know that lots of people say that they find SW a very expensive plan to be on, but whilst this can be true, I think there are lots of food that are cheap to buy and really yummy!! If people add their faves, it could be quite a useful resource!!

Some of my faves are: Mushy peas (eating buckets of them at the moment!), baked beans, couscous, pasta, tinned tomatoes, frozen peas and other frozen veg....

The pouches of microwaveable veg chilli from Morrisons. They are 40p in our local and I love em with a jacket spud.

Pudding rice (brill for breakfast or pudding)

Smash and Baked beans and Asda's Chick pea dahl can't remember how much it is but 1 tin does me two meals if I make enough rice to go with it.

The cheap bags of frozen fruit salad. Tesco / Sansbury / Asda - all good.

Turkey steaks (grilled with cajun spice)

Sugar free jelly sachets

Pink & Whites!!! 31p for 6 in Asda and only 2.5 syns each!

eggs'bags of pre packed veg reduced cos of date(great for freezer),laughing cow extra light,baked beans,spaghetti,macaroni for bakes or dessert.

Pasata is great, its a good base for a pasta sause. Just add garlic and spices or herbs.

caramel rice cakes for when you need something sweet. Think they are 1 1/2 sins for one I think.

Oh, and dont forget the MINCE BEEF... when in doubt kick a sheapards pie out lol

Passata here too, and pasta, cous cous, bulghur wheat, rice and quorn,

Smash and Baked beans and Asda's Chick pea dahl can't remember how much it is but 1 tin does me two meals if I make enough rice to go with it.

they r 77p in my asda... i just bought some because of what i have read here but have yet to try them. i buy a lot of tinned tomatoes/beans and spices are a must! i have millions and love it because you can have the same cheap foods over and over but alter their taste. tinned chilli beans and rice are cheap and free on green. i have a lot of beans and spuds and eggs.

Quorn sausages, smash and baked beans!!! Mmmmmmmmmm drool!!!

hmm, pasta and Sauce (80p ish!) potatoes, eggs, stuffed peppers with Rice, smash Pizza etc etc
I do find that Green days are chepaer than red days, i used to do lots of red days but when our monthly shopping total was over the £900:eek: mark, I thought id try to finder cheaper stuff, so ive been doing lots of green days because of the potatoes etc!
(Good thread FC!) xxx

I do find that Green days are chepaer than red days, i used to do lots of red days but when our monthly shopping total was over the £900:eek: mark, I thought id try to finder cheaper stuff, so ive been doing lots of green days because of the potatoes etc!
(Good thread FC!) xxx
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

£900 a MONTH??? holy batwings!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

£900 a MONTH??? holy batwings!!

Haha - Holy Batwings! love it! never heard that before!!

Yep a whopping £916 to be exact! Theres only 2 of us in our house!!! OH was not exactly a "Happy Bunny" when i revealed that! luckily its been much bettter this month! I guess i was being quite extravegant! i used to be crappy steak because i used to be able to smother it in sauce etc, but now i tend to buy the nicer cuts of meat as its all about the taste! But im happier doing green at the mo!
xxx

Blimey £900 a month! I spend under £400 a month and thats for 3 of us. I budget around £100 a week, but last weeks shop was only £60. I do mainly 5 Red days and 2 EE days a week.
Frozen chicken breasts from Iceland are great.
Frozen fruits work out cheaper and they last longer. I buy frozen raspberries, blueberries, cherries and mango and put them into 7 food bags for the week.

I feed 5 people for about £350 a month. Although we get a little help each week for fruit and veg because we get the vouchers, but I get most of it from Farm foods, for frozen stuff, then just get fresh stuff from either asda or Morrisons.

Yep, definitely a big fan of beans - baked beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, cannelini beans, all cheap and cheerful and help massively to reducing the 'green day block' ;)

Back