Cheekychinchilla's food and stuff

Hey guys!
Today was one of the worst days I've had in work for a very long time. It was just insane! I had to keep helping in the back and trying to catch up but we were all just chasing our own tails. So many intensive, actual emergency cases. At the end of the day we handed over 18 inpatients (not including strays) to our private vet team. 18!! That's just mental.
Had a bad afternoon too. I really felt for the vet I was with too as he was quite obviously upset and things really got to him too. We did 4 pts's in a row when he started his shift - 3 unnecessary ones that we most definitely could have fixed. I've not seen him fight so hard to keep animals alive! After the 4th one he just kept saying "I'm not going to kill the next one. I'm not going to kill the next one" :( We did a few more after that too, but they most certainly did need to go to heaven unfortunately. So bloody sad tho!! I almost cried during one because I couldn't believe we were doing it. What a waste!!
It's very difficult to deal with when it's a surprise. If it's booked in for something small or something you know we can fix it's quite a shock when an owner doesn't want to try. I know it's a very personal choice, but it is heartbreaking knowing you can fix something but can't.
Anyway, we did have some good moments and we all managed to keep each other going. One of the consults I was in was hilarious. Me, the vet, and the 2 women who brought the dog in were literally in hysterics laughing. God knows what the clients in the waiting room thought. They basically brought their dog in because he had a lump on his bum and was struggling to sit down or walk very far. Fair enough..... The diagnosis? He was FAT! LOL! The 'lump' was a fat pouch/cushion and he didn't want to walk anywhere because he was really, really fat! Bless him he actually looked embarrassed, he had such an expressive face! And in the 3 months he'd been on a diet he'd actually gained 1kg, which in human terms is the same as an adult putting on a stone or so. That dog will stay fat forever, he really will *eye roll* But it was a nice bit of comic relief really. Funny little dog!
I did get some puppy cuddles in earlier this morning as well. We saw a little poodle X thing and a Cocker Spaniel. So damn cute!

I got a proper work-out this morning as well. We had a greyhound come in with an arterial bleed (cut paw) and the front porch, waiting room, and then the consult room looked like it was a set in Saw. Holy sh*t I have not ever, ever seen that much blood come out of something! And I had to clean the lot. I had to wash down and scrub the front twice (2 buckets of disinfectant at a time!), clean up and mop the waiting room twice, and it took me two goes to do the consult room too. Needless to say I am painful as hell and I probably shouldn't have done it by myself. But there was no one else, everyone was snowed under with their own stuff. I did get a good workout though and if I haven't lost half a stone in sweat this weekend I will be p*ssed off ;)

Had a nice, healthy-ish tea and one of the new low cal/alcohol beer drinks - Radler. Will have some choccy in a bit and then most definitely jumping right on to the wagon tomorrow. Also not setting an alarm or getting up until I really need to in the morning.

I feel awful now. But I do really think the Amitriptyline are working and doing a decent job. I *should* feel much worse than I do. Ok I was closed to cowering in a corner rocking and crying earlier, but I don't feel so bad now. I have no doubt the pain will come and kick my ass tomorrow, it's already starting to build, but yeah I think these meds may actually do some good :)

Hoping Dave will feel a bit better soon and the steroids should kick in in a day or two and give him some relief and let the Piriton do their magic.

I hope I get a good person at Skoda. It does sound like they have great customer service and amazing aftercare/sales. I'm just worried that I've made this decision and gotten my hopes up and they'll tell me I can't afford it. We'll see though.
For now my car is actually doing all the things it should. All my displays work and it's telling me if the lights are left on or if the keys are still in, etc... Which had all stopped. So *fingers crossed* that's it now while I try and get a new one sorted.

Hope y'all have had lovely weekends. I will catch up on your diaries tomorry.xx

I can't believe that some people won't try with their sick animals - it must be so hard for you all. Like Katie, I enjoyed the fat dog story but I suppose it's rather cruel really.

Really, really hope the meds are working for you - and Dave's for him too - so that you been able to get some rest and things aren't too bad today.

The fat dog is a typical one for us. Killing them with kindness!! I can fully understand this though as our old Jack Russel, Jack, ended up at 14kg. A jack russel!! But this was before I went to college to study animal stuff and as soon as I realised the issue he was registered at my vets and off we got on a weightloss plan. He was a bigger dog than Dave anyway and we eventually got him down to around 8/9 kg. Still chunky and probably overweight, but a vast improvement.
It's difficult with our clients as there is a distinct lack of education around animal care and management. Even basic stuff you would imagine everyone should know.
Some people see feeding their animals as love. And no matter how many times we tell them they're going to shorten their lives, make their joints worse, etc, etc.... It is difficult, but I think yesterday it was a light-hearted break from all the crap so we let it slide. Stephen is militant over dog's weights. he's the one who said Dave was "chubby" the other week :eek: And if he thinks my skinny dog is chubby then there's no hope for the true fatty dogs ;) He's got a bloody cheek....

In a way where I work we don't have as many boundaries as a private surgery. In private the treatment is governed by the owner, in respect of how much they can afford and if the pet is insured, and things like that. Where as we have much more freedom because we don't charge! We ask for a contribution, but if you don't want to or don't have it then you don't. We fix your animal and send you home with meds and set up appointments and have a 24hr phone line. So when someone decides they don't want to let their pet have treatment it can be a real surprise and quite a shock. Especially as our success rates are so high. We do everything a LOT. It's very rare something has a problem we haven't seen before - unless your Ellie ;) And then you have the other side of it were clients are TOO pushy and put their animals through things you just wouldn't or refuse to let them go to heaven even though they're literally dying in front of them.
Oooh animal care is fun ;)
Those women with the fat dog were hilarious though. I keep chuckling about it. Poor little embarrassed looking dog!

I feel rough as anything today. Couldn't tell you one bit was worse than another though. More of a general feel of being run over by a truck!
Katie a week or so ago I had very painful arms. Right from my shoulders down to my fingers, the muscles were generally sore, but the joints were awful. And last week I had really, really painful thighs! As though I'd been doing squats or lunges or something. How random?!
Hope your arm feels better soon!!
I took an extra amitriptyline last night and I think I may do that again tonight just to be sure. I need to look non-dead for going to Skoda tomorrow. Would like to make a nice impression and not look like an extra from The Walking Dead ;)

Back to Slimming World today and started with my favourite meal - veggie breaky :D Not sure what's for tea yet. Will do my food later.

Hope everyone is ok and thank you for the messages.xx

Just wiped myself out cleaning out the bunnies and de-poo'ing the garden. good God the grass has gotten long in a week!! Trying to find poo in long grass is a nightmare!
Now my arms and legs don't want to work and it feels like the top of my head might explode off. Awesome...

Forgot to say. I finally got an appointment to go back and see the endorcine consultant. It's only been 5 months since I had those horrible tests in hospital. Now I know there's probably nothing there, but making someone wait 5 months to find out if they have a tumour is just ridiculous!! It's next week in the evening, so shouldn't have any problems going. Will try and remember to mention the cortisol as well, coz that's their area. But I do believe it is probably just down to me having a generally stressful life. Worth a try tho! xx

Monday Food: Firmly back on the SW wagon. Green Day. Thought I'd have a day away from chocolate as well! Try to re-set my cravings.

Lunch:
2 free Quorn sausages
Half a tin of beans with a bit of chilli tomato puree and cherry tomatoes
Cheesy scrambled eggs with red onion, orange pepper, mushroom, and spinach in (part HexA1)
Wholemeal toast (HexB1)
Fruity brown sauce (1)

Tea: No super free. Oops!!
2 Quorn lamb grills
Seasoned potato chunks
Mushy peas
cheese (HexA2)
Tomato sauce (1)

Snack:
2 Alpen Lights (HexB2)

Drinks: Coffee. Squash. Coke Zero.

Syns used: 2
Syns saved (13)

Wondering if I could claim for PIP (new Disability Living Allowance) now that I have an ME/CFS diagnosis and also anxiety and depression. I'm worried that being able to work would go against me, especially considering the type of job I do!
But it is designed to cover the good and bad days isn't it? Could be worth a try I think! Might try and call them tomorrow - no online claim stuff *sigh*
I found a really good information section on an ME site that gives hints and tips on how to fill out the form as an ME sufferer, because it is such a fluctuating illness.
Does anyone have any experience of claiming PIP/DLA while working??

So sorry you've had a bad weekend with work and not feeling good :( I hope the extra tablets help and you feel more alive tomorrow.
Sam is permanently on a diet, he would eat everything in sight if I let him, in fact I end up chasing him around parks trying to stop him eat off the floor ha ha ha ha. I know what you mean about people showing affection to their pets with food the OH's sister massively overfeeds her dogs and she lets them junk, in fact she buys them cr@p and feeds them her food as well.
Ian was working when he first claimed, but he said it's changed alot since then, he only had to fill in a form. We've had problems since, he was assessed a few years back and they said he was fit for work even though he couldn't walk on his foot, was using a wheelchair and I was looking after him. we had to appeal the decision. He's not been assessed since they changed over to PIP and he's really worried because we would be lost with out the car.
Well done on getting back on the wagon, looks like a good food day :D x x

Oh noes! The car's MOT is due in June!! Found the certificate last night and I really thought it was at least July. Balls!

It is hard work keeping a dog's weight under control. But I am a bit militant about it because of where I work and I've seen what it can do to them. Which is why I was so annoyed when Stephen said Dave was chubby!! And no, I will not let that go ;)

I've spoken to my friend who works for DWP and deals with PIP claims. Her and her husband are both working but both disabled with various awful things. She said it's not really much to do with work, not like receiving sickness benefit, and that it's about your day to day and if they can support you. Could be worth a try anyway! In all honesty I would not turn down £20 extra a week right now! There's no way in hell I would get the higher mobility rate, but there is a chance I could get the low rate one.
Annoying thing is you have to call them to get them to send you a form. Which p*sses me off. I hate phone calls!!
The info I found on an ME site is fantastic. Will come in really helpful!

I'm pleased I made it through yesterday as an SW day. I almost, almost went and got some chocolate, but talked myself out of it. If I had of had some last night I might not have been able to stop at one little bit! So feel pretty pleased about that.

Gone for a different lunch today. One I used to have loads, but not had it for a while. I need to change up my lunches a bit I think and stop relying on veggie breakies. As awesome as they are :) Change might be good tho.
I'm going to attempt a fast day tomorrow because I'm on a late at work and it's the easiest day for me to do it. Just one fast day this week to ease me back in :)

Just watching Neighbours then I'm going to go get ready. I'm ridiculously nervous about going to the Skoda place. More because I might have built my hopes up and they'll tell me I can't afford it. I reckon I could comfortably go to £140 a month for finance because the insurance will be about £30. I could go up by maybe £10/£20, which I know doesn't sound much, but it would be a push.
Atm I pay £110 finance and £67 insurance. And Green Flag is £8. I think I'd get free roadside assistance/Skoda Ensure too so that would knock Green Flag on the head. xx

Tuesday food: SW Green Day

Lunch:
2 Weetabix (HexB1)
Koko milk (part HexA1)
Banana
2tsp maple syrup (1)
Small bowl of red grapes and raspberries
Shape 0%

Tea at harvester:
Goats cheese, broccoli, and tomato stuffed pasta shells (HexA2 for cheese)
1 Bowl of their salad bar stuff with low cal dressing.
1 small wholemeal roll (HexB2)
And 3 spoonfuls of Mum's ice cream.

Snack:

Drinks: Coffee. Coke Zero.

Syns used: Will say all 15 for today. Should cover it really!
Syns saved: 13

Last edited:
Good luck with skoda, I hope you get something sorted, it would be a lot less stressful for you if you didn't have to worry about the car all the time. And I they give you PIP, every little helps and you never know you might get more than you expect x x x

So I just bought a car. A £10,000 car!!! :eek:

Skoda are as fantastic at customer customer service as Barbette said. The guy I saw couldn't do enough for me. Showed me a second hand SE model and then a brand new Elegance. We sat down and talked about money stuff and then he went and got the Elegance for me to try. OMG it might as well drive itself!! It is beautiful to drive. It's design is very well thought out and it is MASSIVE on the inside - proper tardis like! The guy let Mum sit in the front because she couldn't get in the back, so she could come with me, and she was really impressed with the comfort of the car. I have to say the seats are amazing! It's super quiet as well. I thought I hadn't fully turned it on, but I had. Couldn't hear a thing! We only did a quick 5min test drive, but that was enough lol. Got it up to 35, couldn't go faster as it's a 30mph limit ;), but even then, nothing from it and the gears are wonderful. No arguing with it. And actually the peddles are quite big too. Funny what you notice in a new car isn't it?

Anyway, we got back and sat down again. they called my finance company and got a redemption fee - just over £1,000 :( And offered me £700 for my car - more than I expected! But with that amount owing and basically swallowing my deposit the repayments were too much for me, over £185. So he asked what he could do for me to have me sign a deal. So I said lower the payments! Lol. So he offered to renegotiate the car's worth and said he may be able to push it to £900 and I offered an extra £100 deposit. He came back and the company offered me £800 for my car and with my extra deposit it brought it down to £173 a month.
Yeah, more than I'm paying now and I will have to add on £30 insurance to that. But when I put together what I'm paying now per month for finance, insurance, Green Flag, and tax (if you broke it down) this car will actually cost me £1 extra per month. And obviously that's not taking in to account the ridiculous amount I spend on repairs! And also this car should be more economical.

Anyway, so I have ordered a new car lol.
I am getting a Skoda Citigo Elegance - 3 door, polar bear white (candy white lol), Green tech, etc... Elegance is the highest spec model they do. I've gone for the 60bhp model because the reviews said the 75bhp model isn't really worth the extra bit of oomph. And I only need 3 doors coz there's usually only two of us in the car. Sometimes 3. Mum won't be ale to get in the back but everyone else should be fine. LOADS of room in the back. The sales guy was around the same height as Rachelle (just over 6ft) and he had loads of leg and head space. It's only got an official 2 seats in the back as well, so I couldn't have more than 3 passengers in all anyway. Room for Dave in the middle with 2 tho lol!
I went for the service and maintenance package, can't remember if the tyres was on that.
Got Gap insurance too (thanks Barbette)
And it comes with 3 years of the highest RAC cover!
Also all the warranty and stuff it would come with as a new car anyways.
The Elegance comes with some pretty shiny extra's as well. Impressed with the heated seats, extra comfort, and extra safety stuff. Also comes with their integrated SatNav/computer system too (£275 by itself on the cheaper models!) And it is super cute!!

And the extra good news is my one will start being built next week! They reckon I should have it in 4 weeks, but possibly 5. How exciting?!

I came away from there feeling pretty nervous, but excited nervous. not like last time when I felt sick and thought I was going to pass out. I was so ill after signing the papers for my car! This feels really good. I think because I researched it so much, worked out my budget and knew how far I could reasonably stretch, I watched hours of video reviews, etc...
I didn't plan on signing today, I wanted to walk away with just the details. But the deal really was too good and I couldn't guarantee he'd be able to get that price for my car again. It's way more than I expected! And the sales guy was so nice. We weren't rushed, he ran round doing loads for us, we chatted about things, and it was very laid back. Really impressed!
He also didn't want to rush me on the deposit, which has ended up at £510 to cover the last of the finance on my car and an actual deposit for Skoda, and asked for £200 and he said I can pay the rest either when I come back to do some more paper work or when I pick up the new car. He didn't want to put me out! Which I think is pretty good :) Mum's been really lovely and has offered to pay £100 of the deposit!! And also pay for the tax....which is £0 a year LOL!

So yeah! Shiny new car in about a month :D

We went to Harvester on the way back to celebrate me spending £10,000 in a signature LOL! I was good though and picked the SW friendly main of goats cheese, broccoli, and tomato pasta shells. And I only managed one small wholemeal roll and one bowl of salad! Put it down to nerves lol. So pretty SW friendly I reckon. Will count it all as todays syns though just to be safe. A HexB for the roll and a HexA for the goat's cheese.
I did have 3 small spoonfuls of mum's ice cream, but that will go in with the days syns ;) I'm not that saintly!!x

Last edited:
Thank you Patty! I am actually pretty excited and it certainly feels like the right thing to do. I could have gotten the mid-range model without the service and maintenance for under £150 (not much difference to get the Elegance without) but I couldn't do that to myself. I need to be completely covered for everything now! Worth the extra money to stop me from going insane with stress!!

I actually found some hidden courage to make the phone call about PIP today. Have started up my claim and just need to wait for the forms to arrive. You never know eh? Worth a shot and to be honest an extra £20 a week would be more than appreciated right now lol!

Oh I got to pick my car licence plate number as well. Wasn't expecting that! For some reason I wanted one with an X and also a K (for Kelly ;)) but that's all I can remember from it for now lol. It's taken me 18months to remember my one!
Btw I never, ever thought I'd be buying a brand new car that wasn't even built yet. Never in a million years!!x

Ps. Just got a new insurance quote upping my mileage to the 5,000 I've requested for the new car and also adding Mum on as a second driver. Dropped it from £330 to £310! So now under £30 a month. Every pound helps ;)

Last edited:
That's soooooo exciting!!! A brand new car!

Woohoo! It really will be worth it to save your peace of mind!

I'm so happy for you! I'm sat here grinning as I type!x

Thanks Sophie!
I can't quite believe it. Hope I've made the right call. But I'm sure everyone would worry?
I'm a bit "eeep" about the mileage allowance as I picked the lowest one at 5,000miles per year. I know last year wasn't a great representation of me using the car with being off work sick, but since I've had the car we've been to Bradford, Somerset/Wiltshire, and Birmingham. In 15months I've done around 2.5 - 3,000. So hoping 5,000 should well cover me, right?! lol

Anyway, yes! New car! Can't believe it. I was saying to Mum last night that my Dad would be so shocked about mine and Rachelle's lives now. When we were growing up my Dad had some ridiculous cars lol. One didn't have any back windows so we had plastic bags in the windows, another we had to stop every 10mins to let cool down and put water in... Lol!
Now I've bought a new car that isn't even built yet!! And I finally got the job I wanted :) Rachelle shares a Ford Focus with John AND they've just bought a house. I really do think he'd be proud of us :)

You're right! It's a shame I'm not technically saving money like I wanted. But the money I'm spending is most definitely piece of mind and less stress! I bet this month is going to drag lol.

Decided not to do a fast day today :eek: My soup is actually out of date now *sigh* and tbh I don't really feel like doing a fast day. Will carry on with SW this week and then maybe do one or two fast days next week in preparation for going out for a meal on Friday for Mum's birthday. We're going to a Brazilian bbq restaurant. An odd choice considering me and Rachelle are veggies lol. But Rachelle's been a couple of times with John and she said the salad/buffet is absolutely incredible. So that should be good and probably not bad syn wise really :) But there WILL be dessert/cake ;) xx

Just remembered something else my car comes with coz it's the high spec one. It has alloy wheels!! And considering my car now has naked tyres because I lost all my wheel trims over the last few months alloys will hopefully mean I don't have to deal with that crap :p

I'm so glad you got it all sorted :D Skoda are really good, I don't know how they train their staff but they all seem to be good. I know what you mean about the car being quiet, our's is and at first it's weird after having a noisy car. Glad you liked it, I don't think I'd go elsewhere now. And that was quick for the car as well, fingers crossed the beginning of june you'll have you little polar bear :)
And I know your dad would be proud of you, you look after you mum, you work, you're a nice person and is spite of your illness you're getting on with your life and doing the best you can, be the best you can at everything you do and no parent could ask for more. You should be really proud of yourself :D x x x

Awww Barbette you nearly made me cry! What a lovely thing to say *blush* Thank you! I do try :)

I was really pleased with Skoda and glad I picked that branch - it's won loads of customer service awards. He didn't try to sell me anything, not even any extras or packages or anything. Just asked what I wanted and didn't push for anything else. Got me the prices on a few models, but didn't say which I should go for and certainly didn't push me in to the one I picked. He even told me it would work out cheaper if I went for the model I wanted lol! Because the balloon payment is bigger on an Elegance. And it seems very unlikely that anyone ever pays the balloon payment lol.

Yeah I can't believe how quiet it is. Mine doesn't have a particularly noisy engine but it has this dynamo sort of whirring noise. But I couldn't hear the Skoda!

Aye, should be the end of May or the very beginning of June. What happened was this car in the colour and spec I wanted is scheduled for being built next week, but no one had claimed it to sell it. So I got in there. He did say it would have been 12 weeks if that hadn't of happened - but then I'd be paying for my MOT and stuff.

A month feels like a million years right now tho lol!! Wish I hadn't grown attached to my car, but hopefully it'll end up with someone who can do it up a bit and keep it running. Can't be much wrong with it now :p

Work wasn't too bad this evening and I stopped at Morrison's on the way home to grab a few bargains. Just started my tea and gonna watch Game of Thrones with Mum :) xx

Last edited:
Back