Green Day Cheese scones. Free on green.

These sound amazing - def gonna try them

Linzi

I had loads of these as scones over Xmas with buffets and stuff. Also did some with Marmite in which was quite nice.

I love seeing all the new ideas with these. I do love them cold.

The whole food abuse issue. It's potato based so far more sensible to have them as part of your meal and eat until full. But as I see it I'm better off snacking on these if hungry than I am cracking open a packet of crisps. My consultant agrees.

These scones are the new marmite, you either love them or hate them!

I like them as a cheats cheese and potato pie with a baked bean mountain and a quorn sausage. I will definitely be trying the quorn burger bap, that looked fab and it should suit me as I love these scones cold, thanks for that.

ooh thats a great idea! :) Mmmm just thinking of these as bread for a sandwich, few slices of cheese in, little bit of pickle, salad on the side, mmmmmmm :drool:

Ive got to make a batch of this for some Marmite sticks Im gonna make this week so Im gonna make extra and try that! :drool:

I had loads of these as scones over Xmas with buffets and stuff. Also did some with Marmite in which was quite nice.

Ermintrude, congratulations on your century club membership! Amazing!:D

Thanks Cake, it disappeared briefly over Chrimbo :whistle: but I got it back this morning :D

ermintrude said:
ooh thats a great idea! :) Mmmm just thinking of these as bread for a sandwich, few slices of cheese in, little bit of pickle, salad on the side, mmmmmmm :drool:

Ive got to make a batch of this for some Marmite sticks Im gonna make this week so Im gonna make extra and try that! :drool:

Marmite sticks !!! Please share I love marmite.
Do you make them into cheese straw type things ?

Marmite sticks !!! Please share I love marmite.
Do you make them into cheese straw type things ?

Not tried them yet, I saw this and thought I could do something similar with Smash. If I roll out a flat layer of dough, smear a layer of Marmite over it, cut it into strips and twist it? Maybe could sprinkle a bit of grated cheese over the Marmite too before twisting it? (Not doing it with that soup though, Ive got a spicy tomato one Im gonna try). Wont be til next week though I dont think.

I was gonna try something similar at Xmas, I thought rol it out flat, smear it with Marmite, roll it up like a Swiss roll then slice it. You'd get Marmite pinwheels! Didn't try it in the end as in my zeal I chucked too much Marmite in the initial mix and it went a bit sticky :rolleyes: so I just had Marmite scones :D

Oooh they sound lovely but I wonder if they would have the crunch !!
I like your idea of the pin wheels wish I had thought of that would of been great for Xmas pickies. Might try them when I make my next batch of stuff.

We haz noo cheeze thing: Marmite cheese twists

Ommmm... :drool:

6714387659_4aba0c9812_o.jpg

and ommmm.... :drool:

6714388321_1e49c9bce5_o.jpg

and er, hmmm... :sigh: :8855:

6714388039_445a21c4c9_o.jpg

Oh my god they look amazing :)
Have been waiting to see if you had made them.
Did the mixture roll and twist easily ?? I haven't tried rolling it out yet.

You have made my tummy rumble in anticipation :)

Oh my god they look amazing :)
Have been waiting to see if you had made them.
Did the mixture roll and twist easily ?? I haven't tried rolling it out yet.

You have made my tummy rumble in anticipation :)

Noo! It was an absolute bladdy nightmare! :eek: :8855:

TOTAL nightmare. Did the usual recipe (1 pack Smash, 1 pack cottage cheese, 3 eggs, 50g cheese) and tried to roll it out AGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :sigh:

I could get it rolled out flat, its just it refused to stick together and just kept sliding all over the shop! The first half I tried to make Marmite pinwheels with, so I rolled out it into a long oblong, spread with Marmite and tried to roll it up like a Swiss roll and then slice it - it was HAVING NONE OF IT! :eek: Too much Marmite but also the mix is too soggy and doesnt stick together.
The other half I rolled out flat but a bit thinner and put on only a really teeny layer of Marmite, then sprinkled 30g more low fat cheddar over. Things were not looking too hot after the pinwheel experiment :rolleyes: and there was NO way they were going to actually twist, they just kept falling apart. So I rolled a third of them into long thin sausages, another third the same but I marked them with a knife so they at least *looked* a buit twisty and the final third I just left flat, like long thin flat bread sticks with Marmite & cheese on.

The flat ones cooked really quickly and also kinda looked burnt (even though they werent really) cos of the Marmite. Both the other 2 were fine, but the ones with the knife marks in looked the best I reckon.

Basically it was too soggy, too much Marmite and the chunks in the cottage cheese and grated cheese dont help - so next time Id probably try whizzing it all first and grating the sprinkle-cheese-topping bit really finely. Also less eggs, LESS EGGS! :sigh:

Started off good:

6714808033_e2b58c02e4_o.jpg

Rule 1: Dont use too much Marmite:

6714808373_bc1530f820_o.jpg

Hmm... :sigh:

6714809001_fc918fae6d_o.jpg

Mmmmagghhhhh... :sigh:

6714809485_11ba80bd56_o.jpg

6714809945_07d8ba1913_o.jpg

I'd lost the will to live at this point, so didnt put much effort into the twists as I thought it was all gonna be a write-off :rolleyes:

Rule 2: Less Marmite:

6714810619_94751199e8_o.jpg

Rule 3: grate cheese FINELY: :sigh:

6714811257_15b702d06d_o.jpg

Ah, yeah, moving swiftly on... :whistle:

6714811807_a12f163565_o.jpg

6714812227_21c313c6cd_o.jpg

So yeah... :rolleyes:

But. Regardless of what they looked like. They. TASTE. aMAZing! :drool:

6714387659_4aba0c9812_o.jpg

Your too hard on yourself lol I for one think they look amazing and I can't wait to give them a go later in the week :)

Just one thing you said mix too wet I noticed you used 3 eggs I only use 2 as think that's what it said on original recipe at beginning of thread. So the next lot you make will be even better.

Your too hard on yourself lol I for one think they look amazing and I can't wait to give them a go later in the week :)

Just one thing you said mix too wet I noticed you used 3 eggs I only use 2 as think that's what it said on original recipe at beginning of thread. So the next lot you make will be even better.

Ahhhh right, Ive written it down as 3 eggs for some reason. Well I think the biggest problem was the chunks in the cottage cheese really as it all broke up at that point every time, Ill whizz next time, see if that helps :) Soooo yummy though!

PS even the OH loved the pinwheels, he ate FIVE with his soup AS WELL AS the twists! There was none left for meeeee! :cry:

You inspired me to make some with marmite to serve with my 12 speed soup tomorrow.
I didn't have any cottage cheese but did have quark so thought what the *ell I'll try it and not only did they work i prefer them and also quicker as didn't have to blitz cottage cheese.
Forgot to give the twist look but hey they still taste lovely.... Here you go

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Attachments

• image-129786445.jpg
    image-129786445.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 201
Back