Attack Chicken Liver Pate

valacey

Chicken Liver Pâté with Orange and Sherry
A deliciously rich, creamy pâté.

Serves: 6 (or less as it’s so nice!)
Ingredients
· 1 or 2 tbsp water 400g pack (Waitrose) chicken livers
· 1 shallot, finely chopped (or small amount of onion)
· 1 clove garlic, crushed
· 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
· 2 tbsp dry sherry
· 100g Quark or 0% Total Yoghurt or mix of both
· Grated zest of 1 orange

Method
1. Cut the livers into smaller pieces so that they cook more quickly and place in a sieve to drain a little.
2. Warm the water and ‘sauté’ the shallot and garlic until soft.
3. Add the chicken livers, thyme leaves and salt and pepper to taste
4. Cook for 8-10 minutes over a medium heat, stirring frequently until cooked through, but not too dry.
5. Add the grated orange zest and sherry and simmer for 30 seconds. Transfer the mixture along with the Quark/Yoghurt to a food processor or use a hand blender.
6. Whizz to a very smooth paste.
7. Spoon the mixture into small serving dishes and allow to cool.
8. Keep in the fridge
9. Take the pâté out of the fridge 15 minutes before serving with mini ‘gallettes’ or vegetable crudities.

Note – I think this variation is even better! Replace water with freshly Squeezed Orange Juice. Replace the sherry with 1 tbsp brandy which is flambéed at stage 4. :D Yummy!

I wouldn't touch this recipe with a barge pole! Not until Conso!

Well you guys obviously know a lot more than I do, that's for sure. But that is a very strong comment from Maintainer.
You don't have to put the sherry in, nor the grated orange zest.
But orange zest, is it so verbotten?
Perhaps I have totally misread the Dukan Diet book as I understood, liver, onion/shallot, garlic, quark, 0% fat yoghurt, herbs were all 'free' foods, not on attack, but surely 'Cruise PV'?

Further to my previous comment; have looked in Dukan 2010 book where there is a recipe for 'Attack' phase of 350g liver cooked in
1 1/2 tbsn sherry vinegar with onions etc. I know vinegar does not have the alcohol content, but would have similar amount of sugar etc. This recipe is for 2 servings whereas the liver pate is for 6 pers and using flambe brandy the content would be 2 1/2 ml per person.
Or am I still being very naive?

The recipe isn't Dukan-friendly because
a - no alcohol (full of sugar)
b - no fruit (and orange zest is full of oil too)

By all means, make pâté (I do) but leave those items out.

Laura, thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply explaining exactly why.
I'm sure it will still be quite good even without these additions, so will give it a try tonight.

Valerie

If you really want the sweetness and orange flavour from the sherry and zest, I was thinking you could try adding a very small amount of Hartley's jelly crystals. Just a notion. It wouldn't be attack though as the jelly is tolerated. :)

Another nice note, thanks. I made it yesterday with non of the naughties, but did add a squirt of lemon juice just to take away the blandness. (Is that OK on cruise?) It was nice.

Back