chicken/

Petal01

Still Climbing That Hill!
hi everyone i asked this on another thread but it wasnt answered so ive strated a new thread for it, when cooking a whole chicken with skin on in the slow cooker with all the veggies etc in, wont the fat from the chicken skin drip into the stock at the bottom therefore making the veggies stock etc very high in calories/syns/? i ask this as i have seen a few posts on here from peeps on sw where people cook there chicken this way.

I think you are right about the fat being in the stock.
I don't think I would eat the stock because it would be high in syns unless you take the skin off the chicken before putting it in the slow cooker, which is easier said than done and a messy job.

Hi Petal
I dont skin my chicken and I dont put it on any veggies either ~ I cook mine on scrunched up balls of silver foil without any stock also, its yummy!! I then make a slimming world friendly gravy or a favourite is to serve it with jacket potato and salads!

Hi Lucy..
Im a bit of a Slow cooker virgin, so, you dont put ANY liquid in there.?
You just scrunch up the foil into balls, set the chicken ontop of the foil balls and turn it on... no liquid whatsoever.???
How long for.?

I put whole chickens and whole joints of meat in with nothing else at all as they make juices/fat. Just put it in and turn it on. I am out all day so its just on all day. I guess it would be cooked in a minimum of something like 5 hours if i were to time it - but it doesnt spoil however long its on. Thats the beauty of them! ive got beef stew in mine today so it will be right ready when i walk in the door this evening yummy!

I put whole chickens and whole joints of meat in with nothing else at all as they make juices/fat. Just put it in and turn it on. I am out all day so its just on all day. I guess it would be cooked in a minimum of something like 5 hours if i were to time it - but it doesnt spoil however long its on. Thats the beauty of them! ive got beef stew in mine today so it will be right ready when i walk in the door this evening yummy!

you wouldnt use their own juices/fat though for yourself would u if on sw? just the same as my chicken question the stock would be high in syns/calories unless you took all the fat/skin off first?

I just bung a chicken in there. It also means not being tempted by skin. It doesn't go crispy. Find it hard to resisit if it does. The beauty of SCs is that you can ung anything in,a nd nothing spoils!

Lydna

i don't put stock in and sit the chicken on halfed lemons and surround by unpeeled but whole garlic cloves - i do sprinkle the chicken with water but not loads

You could take the stock out and chill it then take the fat off the top. Or get one of those little jugs which separate out the stock from the fat.

Back