Chickpea Chat

Thank you for the article Plum. I do think peoples expectations on losing weight can be a bit extreme. Also what works for one doesn't work for everyone. There's also the horrible fact that a lot of people end up regaining their weight, but I think it has a lot do to with not relearning how to eat properly.

I know a guy who lost like 80kg, but then he yoyo dieted the first two years. He'd regain 20-30lbs, then go on a shake diet for a month or two to lose the weight. Then he'd go through the cycle over and over again. He usually eats 5 dl of creme fraiche dip with a bag or two of crisps and a 2 l of soda when we hangout. But the last year and a half he stopped yoyo dieting, and gained over 100 lbs back. He's doing the low carb diet now, he's losing weight, but his portion sizes hasn't changed.

I know with low GI/GL I'm not losing nowhere as quick as my friend is with low carb, but I've learned a lot about eating properly. I used to think I ate healthy before, but now I've learned a whole new way of eating properly and healthy. Also that the old myths about all calories are the same is all bs, and we have to starve ourselves to lose weight is wrong. I also plan to stick to mostly low GI/GL foods even after I hit goal weight:)

That's what I like about the low GI/GL diet, because I feel so much better eating this way and believe that it is truly the healthiest way for me personally to eat, I don't mind losing a bit more slowly because it doesn't feel like a race. At the beginning of the year (when I started with Slimming World) I thought I'd really like to lose 50lb over the year so that I could go back to 'normal' life and not having to worry about what I eat. Now I accept that as long as I make healthy low GI choices and stick to the 80/20 rule, I *won't* have to worry too much once I reach goal weight and it won't be that much different to now; since it's not a hardship I don't feel like I have to rush through it. Whereas with something like a shake diet I would just want it to all be over!

(5dl is a lot of dip! yikes! can you buy fat-free fromage frais in Sweden? that makes a nice dip :) )

Completely off topic, does anybody else watch Glee? It's one of my guilty televisual pleasures. I'm embarassingly excited that the new season is starting this week!

I agree 5dl of dip is a lot. I don't know if we have fromage frais here.

I haven't seen Glee, not sure if it shows over here. I do watch Sons of Anarchy though, but my OH got me into the show >_<

I thought only teenagers watched Glee, Plum :p

Actually, I've never seen it but people love it, don't they? I dont watch too much TV but I do like The Apprentice when its on and I enjoy Snog Marry or Avoid - totally trashy but I love the transformations! :D

Heh, Cali, I keep thinking I should watch Sons of Anarchy but I never manage to!

LOL Ashie! Yep only teenagers watch Glee. And surreptitious adults! :D You can't beat a bit of mindless fluff TV in my opinion. I never used to watch much but since my health has been rubbish I probably watch more than I should!

Well Sons of Anarchy is about a biker club/gang, so it appeals to men. But I have to say that I've gotten really attached to the show, thanks to watching it with my OH. If you are into things like the Sopranos, the Godfather, etc., then I think you'll enjoy this show :)

I like a lot of guy things as I was raised with brothers. I like motorcycles too :)

I think you'll enjoy the show :)

I like a lot of guy things as I was raised with brothers. I like motorcycles too :)

being around brothers turned me into a totally girly- girl :)

I'm a girly girl too, I love my cute, fuzzy, fluffy things. But I do have a strange taste at times for things guys usually like.

I was feeling quite hungry this morning, I'm not sure if it was my body reacting to eating the high GI food yesterday. But thinking about it, recently I've been pretty hungry most mornings, even after 50g of porridge.

Maybe I need to reduce porridge and add more protein? What do you guys think? What protein could I add to either porridge or eat along side it that is quick and easy and not calorific?

When I have porridge I always add some flaxseeds and sunflower seeds to it. I cook them together with the oats, so they come out a little softer. Also you get the good for you healthy oils from the seeds:)

Or if seeds aren't your thing, you can always have a boiled egg or a fried egg on the side :)

Those are both good ideas. Unfortunately, I cant face seeds in the morning and eggs actually give me tummy ache :(

How about some cheese, or tofu, or ham on the side?

I was thinking about compliments today. Plum was talking about what her boss's boss said. That got me thinking about odd or back-handed compliments we get.

The other week, my cousin came to visit and he said to me "Wow, you've lost weight. If you lose a bit more, you'll look slim". Err, thanks? :rolleyes:

What's the oddest or weird or back-handed compliment that you have received?

ps thanks Cali. Some very good ideas re: breakfast protein.

Ouch, I hate back handed compliments. I've gotten a good handful of them in the past couple of years. I can't really think of any off the top of my head atm. I'm sure I'll remember in the middle of my sleep or some funny timing :)

Take what people say with a grain of salt. I've learned to just brush off the ignorant comments or back handed compliments I get.

Back