Chickpea Chat

OMG Noooo, somehow I lost the long post I wrote to you Ashie :( Bad computer!

Okay, let me try to remember what I wrote.

I like your goals, I think it's great that you posted them on your signature. I cheer myself all the time too. But it's those little things that you notice and get happy about that keeps you going on the diet. I know it's that way for me :)

You deserve self cheerleading, and us to cheer you too :)
:party0011::party0011::party0011:

Can anybody suggest indoor winter hobbies that they enjoy? I find winter tough as my ME is usually worse and being outdoors is more tiring in the cold. I know it's only September but it's wintry here today which has got me thinking ahead.

I like knitting/crochet/sewing (eyes not good enough for cross-stitch or other embroidery though) but am not always feeling that creative. I also like photography but again I think for indoor photography you have to be in a creative mood. I'm otherwise not artistic, can't draw/paint/colour within the lines to save my life! :D

(I have booked an Open University (distance learning) course starting in November but I won't class that as 'fun' as such!)

Yes winter is basically at our doorsteps here. I have troubles during winter too, that's when I'm in pain the whole time. I'm hoping this winter I will be much better.

Hobbywise we do a lot of reading here in Sweden. It's probably the national pasttime. My mother-in-law knits, but I can't knit to save my life. I think this year yoga will be my new winter hobby, as I have a lot poses I need to practice if I want to move on to the non-beginners dvd.

I like photoshopping old pictures when there is nothing to do. It's fun restoring old scanned family pictures. You can get a book about how to do it, or take a class on photoshop. I took a class years ago and found it a lot of fun.

Cali do you mind me asking what your illness is? If it's too nosey though just tell me to shush, I don't mind. :) I always have too much curiosity about anything and everything in the world! :D

The old family photos is a great idea, thank you so much. I brought back a big packet of these from my dad's stuff and also old family history documents. I think whipping these into shape and maybe a little genealogical research will be a great winter project and result in something I can send to my sister. So thank you!! :D

I do a lot of reading as well, so much so that I forget to call it a hobby most of the time! I was lucky that my parents loved to read and always encouraged it!

Distance learning courses can be fun, but this one is about business management so more of a necessary evil unfortunately. :( A photoshop course does sound like fun!

Oh sounds like a nice project to do. I'm sure your family members will be happy that you restore some of the old family pictures. The old faded pictures you can add colors back into them. Or the browned or yellowed pictures you can add blues and reds to them to whiten them out and correct the color. It's a lot of fun to see the end result :)

I'm going to send you a personal message later on today. As we're about to go visit the town market/fair thing right now. My OH has to get his homemade candies fix there. :)

Thanks for the tips, Cali. I'll have to look for a book or website about restoring old photos as it sounds like it's a bit of a fine art. Hope you had a nice time at the market!

Noooo! Is anybody else getting problems using myfitnesspal? They seem to have just started (I was able to add some water ok earlier). I can get to the homepage ok if I'm not logged in but as soon as I log in (or try to synch from my phone) I get 'application error'. :(

What are your go-to meals for those days when dinner's got a bit later than you intended and you're starving and you need to eat NOW but you also want to have something GI friendly?

These are the times when it goes a bit wrong for me as my mind goes blank and I either get way too hungry or eat something that I later wish I hadn't!

Thanks clarri, those are all good snack ideas. :)

I'm hoping to also get some meal suggestions (ie dinner), if the evening has gotten away from me then I don't always want to spend the time to cook whatever I had planned and would just like something simple and really quick. As this tends to be when I go for not so friendly options that I would have had before going low GI just because I can do them without thinking too much about it!

I've usually grabbed a tinned can of beans and warm them up, have some salad with it. Or make a tuna salad, or make some quinoa or red lentils because they're fast to cook, and have a salad with it.

Or if I'm really desperate I get a couple of crispbreads load them up with peanut butter and jam. It's pretty filling :)

Thanks Cali, you've reminded me that I like tuna/bean/red onion salad and could have it with green salad quite quickly! Also the pb & crispbreads, I normally only have a small snack portion so it's good to be reminded that I could in fact have more as a meal. :) I think I'll make a list and stick it inside one of the cupboards for when disaster strikes and my mind goes blank.

Ooh omlettes, yes of course! I don't know why but I always forget they exist after noon! The lentils sound really nice actually, I'm going to add that to the list too! Thanks clarri. :D

I think a can of beans (cannelloni or blacked eyed) or chickpeas, thrown in a pan with a little olive oil, a can of plum peeled tomatoes ( I crush the tomatoes with my hand as I take them out of the tin) and adding harissa paste, olive paste or curry paste is always quick and tasty.

You can also add frozen veg (spinach, peas, broccoli) if you want and then have it with pitta bread (again frozen - sprinkle it with water, shake water off & put it in the toaster). Eat it on its own or with salad and/or yoghurt. Whole meal takes about 15 minutes or less, depending on heat used.

I like the idea of putting some ideas on inside of cupboard door. Brilliant. :)

I really like your suggestion, Ashie, thank you! That sounds yummy and again I had forgotten about the existence of olive paste so that's a great reminder. :D I think a good storecupboard can get one out of many tricky situations!

Thanks, Plum. I do think you can do loads w/ tinned beans. It's pretty endless and fairly quick.

Puy lentils: warm up and make it into salad w/ tomatoes etc, maybe add feta or halloumi or mozzarella and whatever fresh herb dressing that goes with the cheese

Black beans: burgers. Smash (or pulse in food processor) w/ onions, spices, egg and chickpea flour (gram flour). Form into patties.

Black eyed peas: added with veg to pilaf or pilau of rice or barley or quinoa

And don't forget the burrito!

Now that I think about it, why don't I make these? :rolleyes: I have a tendency to get into a food rut. :sigh:

Back