Chickpea Chat

Just curious, how did you all set your weight targets? Is it a weight that you were happy at in the past, or did you come up with it somehow?

I don't know what I used to weigh when I was slim, to be honest before I became ill and put on the weight I never really thought about it. I know that when I was 18/20 years old I was naturally around 120lb but I was *skinny* and in the underweight bracket.

I set 160 as a sort of 'wait and see' goal, in my mind I think I'd maybe like to reach 155 or 150 to be nearer the middle of the green BMI bracket, but I wanted to see how things were and how I looked/felt at 160 and then play it by ear from there. It might sound silly but as I was right around the 200 mark at Christmastime last year (but then lost 4lb before starting Minimins/officially dieting) it would be nice to have lost a round number like 50lb.

Well, I worked it out on what BMI I wanted to be. I wanted to be around 22 on my BMI and a weight that I could maintain long term.

I have been skinnier but it was not a weight I maintained for longer than a year (I didn't diet to get down to that weight, change of life circumstances got me there) and, anyway, I wasn't really happy at that weight. I looked a little ill to be honest.

A family friend, who is a doctor, said that a BMI of 22-23 was perfect weight for women so that is what I am aiming for. :)

I think your approach of aiming for 160 and then seeing what you feel like that at that weight is pretty good. Very sensible. :) I know what you mean by a nice round figure because I am aiming to lose exactly 10 kgs. :D

A family friend, who is a doctor, said that a BMI of 22-23 was perfect weight for women so that is what I am aiming for. :)

Ah that's really interesting! I like your approach of picking a BMI you want to be, I think I purposely picked a target at the higher end of the BMI green zone to ensure that I could still say I was healthy but it wouldn't be as hard to get to! Which is possibly a bit lazy of me, heh!

My original target weight was 140 lbs, I thought it was a realistic goal. But I know for my body frame it's still too much weight. When I was in my teens and early twenties I was usually 110-120lbs. I went to 105 lbs when I was 19 but I was really too thin, and I got that thin because I got sick, and lost weight. So it was only for about 5 months or so I was 105lbs.

During my 20s it was usually 120-130lbs. So 130 lbs is the biggest I was and still looked ok. I have small bone structure, being half Japanese and all. So that's why I changed my weightgoal to 130lbs in order to get back to being the biggest I normally used to be.

I wouldn't mind going back down to about 120 - 125lbs oneday. But for now I'll be happy with getting to 130 lbs :)

Cali I think it's super that you have past weights to use as a reference. I wish I did as I think it makes your expectations of what you will look/feel like at different weights more realistic!

Hmm I found this in another Minimins forum and I thought it was really interesting to explain why sometimes we weigh less after eating naughtily on sugar or carbs. It makes sense to me but I haven't investigated to find out if it's really true. Anybody know?

"When you eat sugary and starchy things it causes you to produce more urine to flush out that extra sugar, hence the unexpected drop in weight the day after a bit of indulgence."

Also, I forgot to write this ages ago...

I had been skeptical of Rick Gallop's advice to ask for potatoes to be swapped for extra veg in restaurants, but then I tried it in our local place and they were 100% happy to do this. It really does work!

This is completely random:

According to the Steve Wright programme on Radio 2, women on diets think more about food than sex AND 1 in 10 women feel more guilty about eating more than they should than they do about having an affair. Obsessed? Us? It did make me laugh!

Also, I forgot to write this ages ago...

I had been skeptical of Rick Gallop's advice to ask for potatoes to be swapped for extra veg in restaurants, but then I tried it in our local place and they were 100% happy to do this. It really does work!

I keep meaning to try this but have not been out except the once. I cant see why it would be a problem for them to be honest.

AshieFan said:
This is completely random:

According to the Steve Wright programme on Radio 2, women on diets think more about food than sex AND 1 in 10 women feel more guilty about eating more than they should than they do about having an affair. Obsessed? Us? It did make me laugh!

LOL!! That's brilliant. :D

AshieFan said:
I keep meaning to try this but have not been out except the once. I cant see why it would be a problem for them to be honest.

I agree it shouldn't be a problem but I guess I was wary of being met with 'but it comes with potatoes, like' and very puzzled looks and explanations being required. (the very nice lady at our local kindly refrained from mentioning that I'd already scoffed all the seeded wholemeal from the breadbasket so surely a few potatoes couldn't hurt :D )

That's cool that they let you swap it out. Not sure how it will work here. But we were able to ask them to hold the potatoes from the salad.

Oh my. I don't feel guilty for eating more than I should. Just know that my bum will pay for the price by getting bigger :(

I'm lovin' this thread!! Great idea guys!
As regards asking restaurants to swap potato etc for veg or salad, I have never found one place that refused this request from me. They are more than helpful. Sometimes, they even offer a little potato and the extra veg as well.
I take the view that it never hurts to ask for what I want.

I have discovered a new website today. Someone posted it on MFP. It's a website called my body gallery what real women look like. You select height, weight, body type, and see pictures of women in that category. It's great to see what one might look like at a certain weight. Welcome - My Body Gallery - What Real Women Look Like - StumbleUpon

I was playing on the site earlier and checked all the different weights to see ok so that's what I will look like at 150s, or at goal weight or what others look like at my current weight.

The other day my husband and I went out for a meal at our local place and they got the order a little bit wrong! I asked for extra veg instead of potatoes, and he was having lasagna with salad and garlic bread, but our table wound up with: my steak, his lasagna, salad, garlic bread, two bowls of vegetables, one bowl of sautee potatoes, and one bowl of chips. We looked like we had ordered for an army! Heh!

Cali I've looked at that site before, it is really interesting isn't it!

Yes, that website is interesting. Also interesting how even though people are the same height and around the same weight range, the body shapes and styles look so different.

I can just imagine the order coming to your table and you guys were thinking ummmm this isn't ours. What happened? Did they return the order or did you have to all that temptation in front of you? I love chips so for me to have to smell them would be pure evil >_<

Back