Children disrupting group!

You've clearly never been to a class with disruptive children!! I don't pay £5 to go to a crèche I can do that at home for free!

Those people have also paid their £5 though and might not have anyone to look after their child. I had knowone at one point and my mum lived 20 miles away, if I wanted to lose weight with support I had to take my son with me to class (ww at the time).

Those people have also paid their £5 though and might not have anyone to look after their child. I had knowone at one point and my mum lived 20 miles away, if I wanted to lose weight with support I had to take my son with me to class (ww at the time).

I've had to take my 2 year old on a few occasions when my mummy wasn't able to mind her, I've no problem with children coming to group, my problem is disruptive children with parents who clearly don't care about anyone else at group, it's just plain bad manners and I have no time for people like that!

Talk to your consultant hun. I don't wish to be blunt but if children aren't quiet (ish) the consultant would rather lose that member than half a dozen others.

Children are allowed in group but the children shouldn't disrupt the group. Each person has paid for a service which shouldn't be disrupted.

Slimming world is available online. I am doing it, and while its not as good as a group and doesnt suit everyone, it is still allowing me to use the plan without disrupting other members with my noisy toddler!

My group is in the evening so ideally there shouldn't be any children there, however sometimes some people will bring their kids, on the whole they are quiet, but it must be quite boring for them and sometimes they do tend to play up. Last week one woman was getting upset because she had a gain and a couple of the children started giggling, I think they were giggling at something between themselves not the group member but it was really inapropriate especially as these were not toddlers or young kids but a lot older. I am part of a really large group but there are a few that will either talkj amongst themselves throughout the group session and then will leave midway and say "bye" really loudly to their friends as their leaving which I think is ruder.

TBH, group for me, is me time, I know it sounds silly, but that 1.5 hrs is the only time in the week when I can concentrate fully on me, I have a pre schooler and a baby, a couple of times I have been let down by childcare and so have had to take them both with me, but I have weighed in and left because as well behaved as my pre schooler is I know she won't sit still for almost 2 hours and its not fair on her or the other members.

TBH, group for me, is me time, I know it sounds silly, but that 1.5 hrs is the only time in the week when I can concentrate fully on me, I have a pre schooler and a baby, a couple of times I have been let down by childcare and so have had to take them both with me, but I have weighed in and left because as well behaved as my pre schooler is I know she won't sit still for almost 2 hours and its not fair on her or the other members.

Totally agree with you.

I take my preschooler to group. It's at 3.30 so I assume they planned it around school pick up time and expect children to be there

She wasn't great at first but she's quickly got used to what goes on and now sits joining in with the clapping.

I posted on our groups Facebook page when I started an apology for her disruptiveness and offered to only stay occasionally but was told not to be so silly and that I've paid my £5 as well as everyone else so had every right to stay and if members didn't like it there were plenty of other groups to choose from.

I can't get someone to look after her during the day and other classes are after her bedtime, and with a husband who works irregular hours I don't know one week to the next I'd he will be around - why should I miss out?

Personally I would expect any day time group to have little ones present.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I take my preschooler to group. It's at 3.30 so I assume they planned it around school pick up time and expect children to be there

She wasn't great at first but she's quickly got used to what goes on and now sits joining in with the clapping.

I posted on our groups Facebook page when I started an apology for her disruptiveness and offered to only stay occasionally but was told not to be so silly and that I've paid my £5 as well as everyone else so had every right to stay and if members didn't like it there were plenty of other groups to choose from.

I can't get someone to look after her during the day and other classes are after her bedtime, and with a husband who works irregular hours I don't know one week to the next I'd he will be around - why should I miss out?

Personally I would expect any day time group to have little ones present.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

You're missing my point, my point is disruptive undisciplined children not well behaved children, I wouldn't care if my class had 20 children at it as long as they didn't disrupt the class and treat it like a play school because that's not what it is, if people want to bring their children they should learn to control them and have some respect for other people who paid to go to a weight loss class and not a crèche!

I think it's great that parents are doing something positive to change for their families and children.
Children are welcome so few places in the uk "seen and not heard" culture. I think it's great your group supports you with this :) support is about ppl with all different circumstances and allowing them same chances. :)

I'm totally with Vanilla cupcake, I'd even go so far as to say I like to see the kids there, but when they're running around, shouting and screaming, playing noisy games it becomes difficult to concentrate on the reason for the group.

Obviously little ones sometimes cry and that's unavoidable but the parent should leave the room with them until they've calmed down

Happily our group is really good like this and its nice to hear little ones joining in with the clapping etc

Our group doesn't really have children coming, we've had a few older ones come in (due to childcare being unavailable) and they've sat with there latest gadget quietly, but we've had one women with her toddlers come in and they were running around whilst they were waiting for her to weigh :s luckily she left before IT.
I do agree with you though, that its no problem when they're not running around nd making a noise, as long as they're occupied with something they're okay.

You're missing my point, my point is disruptive undisciplined children not well behaved children, I wouldn't care if my class had 20 children at it as long as they didn't disrupt the class and treat it like a play school because that's not what it is, if people want to bring their children they should learn to control them and have some respect for other people who paid to go to a weight loss class and not a crèche!

Completely agree with Vanilla Cupcake!!!

It never ceases to amaze me at the high fat snacks the mothers give them to keep them quiet!

We bring our daughter to our group (and our eldest who is 8 when it is the school holidays) she is 20 months and i have been going sw since she was 6 months old, so everyone enjoys seeing her and always comment on how lovely she is! On the rare occasion that she is noisy i either take her outside or leave early if she decides to have a paddy, but usually she is well behaved and makes everyone smile/laugh, hopefully she will stay good as she gets older lol

Our group is 9.30am friday mornings so we expect to see children, we usually have a few but sometimes ours is the only one, my husband, mother in law, sister in law, and 3 friends all go to the same group so there is plenty of us to keep her happy lol xxx

Kids running around does get to me. Especially when the parent/guardian is just sitting there on their phone or basically ignoring them! No- I'm sorry but if your child is disrupting the whole group you are affecting a lot of other people- then leave. If you don't have anyone to look after them then that is unfortunate- but I can't deal with undisciplined children.

Yes they can get bored, frustrated etc but that's why they need things to keep them entertained....

When I was a child I never played up if I was in an adult situation- maybe I just expect kids now to do the same :\

But (and it has been mentioned here) It's not just the naughty kids that distrupt the group- the cliques sitting there and talking amongst themselves- playing on their phones, even answering the phone in the middle of IT on one occasion!!

I feel rude to ignore someone trying to have a conversation with me in the middle of IT but I like to sit and listen for inspiration and motivation.....and I don't want to distrupt the group by replying :\

Well I work with children day in, day out. I don't want to see the little blighters outside in my sw meetings, sorry folks. :eek:

How wonderfully judgmental of you.

I don't think she's being judgemental, I don't understand why someone would come to a weight loss class and feed their children high fat snacks to keep them quiet, why bother coming to a weight loss class if you're only going to give yourself healthy foods and not your children, children should be eating healthy foods and not crisps and sweets especially if its a morning class, I've seen mothers give their children crisps and chocolate at 9.30 in the morning......thats disgraceful!!

What's the consultant said have you mentioned it?

I've mentioned it a few times and she more or less said there's nothing she can do, she has the corner table with crayons and books etc on it but the mothers still let their children run riot, I didn't go last week I just wasn't in the mood for a noisy class, I went out for a long walk instead :sigh:

Back