Makes about 30

2 sachets instant chocolate or fudge chocolate drink
1 tbsp hot water
225g/8oz butter, softened
140g/5oz caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
280g/10oz plain flour
salt

1) Empty the chocolate drink sachets into bowl and stir in the hot water to make a paste. Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon, then beat in the egg yolk and chocolate paste. Sift together the flour and a pinch of salt into the mixture and stir until thoroughly combind. Halve the dough, shape into balls, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the refridgerator for 30-60 minutes.

2) Preheat the oven to 190c/375/gas mark 5. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment.

3) Unwrap the dough and roll out between 2 sheets of baking parchment to 3mm/8th inch thick. Stamp out the rounds with a plain 5cm/2 inch cutter. using a 3cm/1 1/4 inch cap from a soft drink bottle, make an indentation in the centre of each button. Using a woden toothpick, make 4 holes in the centre of each button, then put them on the prepared baking sheets spaced well apart. Sprinkle with caster sugar.

4) Bake for 10-15 minutes, until firm. Leave to cool on the baking sheets for 5-10 minutes, then using a palette knife transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

*I have only made these once and I found my dough to soft to roll out so I made them into little balls then pressed into flat rounds on the baking tray using lightly floured hands. The do look like giant coat buttons!*

From the book 1 dough, 50 cookies which I got in British Bookshops for a bargain price of £2.49.

I got 30 out of the mix and pointed them at 2pts each using the recipe builder on the ww website.

x

Back