ClaireL second chance diary

Hi Jane, how are you and what has been going on in your world?

I have been totally AWOL, and to be honest enjoying myself, and mostly without the guilt etc, then for a random reason decided to get back on it just 2 days ago, I couldn't find my thread though so started a new one on the Weight Loss Diaries tab. Actually I thought that was where this thread was which may explain why I couldn't find myself!!! Then when looking via my phone (sneaky little viewing on work time) I saw the original thread so now I have 2 (might abandon the new one - not sure if i'm up to the responsibility of 2 threads!!) - just love a bit of confusion to keep me on my toes.:D

so here's where I am....

A long, long time ago when the world was under a grey spell (read Christmas time and bad weather) A aging maiden (I know ..maiden is pushing it but just use your imagination! consider it poetic license!!) with an ongoing wish for slimness fell off the wagon in spectacular style and had a couple of weeks feeling guilty, you know the thing - tomorrow I'm starting back on plan.... tomorrow I'm starting back on plan...it's not an echo just the mantra each bedtime. Then she thought why am I making promises to myself that I am not going to keep, so she stopped with the mantra and continued eating (and drinking) pretty much what she wanted.....until one day the sun poked it's head from behind it's grey blanket and this troubled the slightly more ageing maiden, as thoughts of shorter skirts, sleeveless tops and possibly even swimming cossies came to mind, she looked back at the past few months and wondered what had happened to the mojo. So with trembling toes she eased herself onto the bathroom scales ....................... aaaaarrrgghh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .........back to starting point!!
The ordeal of starting over was upon her, she had to make a decision, stay in the grey spell state of mind or wake up and shed the pounds in time for summer.

Well here I am so it's clear what the decision was:)

I've dusted down the books and kitchen scales and am only on day 2. It's a bit more tricky as I am now working in the office most days (I was home based before Christmas). I find I am not very organised with lunches etc, so yesterday and today I have brought a huge bag of SW friendly goodies with me. Honestly, it looks as though I am expecting to be here for the weekend!! Actually that might not be such a bad thing - weekends have always been my Achilles heel even when I was at my best!!

OH has been put to work on the cooking front as he is home this week, last night he made a salmon and asparagus frittata which was very nice. Only one comment - how can so much washing up come from making what is really just a fancy omelette?? Course I didn't say anything out loud just got on with the pan scrubbing- don't want to put the boy off!!

Tonight he is turning his hand at Spaghetti Bolognaise - this could be the way forward

So...wish me luck - second chance diary has now become the third chance - but I've heard on the grapevine that it's third time lucky - so maybe this time???

All encouragement / kicks up butt / advice / general chat gratefully received.

Last edited:
Saturday.....Not always my friend but today it will be different :D Going for Extra Easy.

Breakfast: scrambled egg and bread roll brown sauce 0.5 syn and HEB (already demolished and enjoyed thoroughly) No super free eek!!!

Lunch: meeting friends but am planning on having the meat platter with a salad so probably 3 syns (in case meat is cooked with oil)

Dinner: beef rending, spinach and rice 2.5 syns
Fruit salad and vanilla yogurt 0syn stuff

total of 6 syns for day

HEA will be my milk in tea etc.

Hi there I've just started back after falling so hard off the wagon my crash to the ground created a well :p am determined to stay on track this time loved ready your diary xx

Yay!! You're back!!!! It's a familiar story - I too fell off the wagon as sadly my mum died in February but am now back on track. Food today sounds good x

Hi carrieann, how long were you in the well? think I may have met you down there – haha! – let’s see if we can keep on track from now – after all summer is looming – time to get the legs out!! I don’t think that a scrape with the razor is going to cut if for me this year – serious weight loss required before I roll up these trousers!!

Hi Kirsty, lovely to 'see' you again – how’s is going up in bonny Scotland? – are you at target yet? I’m going to find everyone’s diaries and have a good catch up as soon as I can. Looking forward to having a good gander at your past few months, food and piccies - always a great source of inspiration x

Jane, I am so sorry about your mum – such sad news, not surprised you put this to one side, it’s tough enough keeping mind and soul together at such awful times, hope your mum had a peaceful end and that you are all finding a way forward. My dad died a couple of years ago (mum died 13 years before him) it was almost unbearable living away from home at the time, I still miss him dearly especially at holiday times when we would normally be bringing him to Austria to spend weeks with us. Time is a healer but it is still so hard while the days, weeks and months pass by. My heart is with you xx

Well the weekend was OK for me – didn’t have the beef rending on Saturday as I was still full from the maahoosive grill platter at lunchtime so just had some fruit and a glass of wine

Sunday was good,
Breakfast: eggs on brown bread with tomatoes (some things just don’t change)
Lunch: pasta with tomatoes, onion, basil and balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp parmesan cheese 0 1.5 syns

lunch.JPG

Dinner: Beef Rendang, rice and green beans
SW style trifle 4 syns

Today I am back in the office, but it’s a short week for us (bank holiday on Thursday and I’m taking a personal leave day on Friday - 4 day weekend - woohoo) so I’m not too ‘Monday morning’ if you know what I mean.
Breakfast: bread roll with ham (no superfree there - oops)
Lunch: Have brought a prawn and egg salad (2 syns for the dressing)
Raspberries and blueberries with vanilla yogurt, corny bar (3 syns if eaten) and also a mini babybel light (2syns or part HEA depending on how much tea I get through!)
Dinner is hopefully – steak chips and ratatouille – OH back at the cooker, having had the weekend off, we’ll see if he performs as planned LOL!

So still brought a fair amount of grub to work but it is substantially less than last week – managed to get it all into my oversized handbag – improvement again as last week I had a separate ‘food’ bag with me!! Desperate isn’t it?? Hoping to get into some kind of better routine with this

So that’s the end of a long rambling diary entry from me – have a fab Monday xx

Last edited:
Thanks Claire xx

It's also a bank holiday here on Thursday but only in Zürich!! So the kids still go to school here and hubby will be off. He has also taken Friday off to make it a long weekend (it was a bank holiday in Zürich yesterday too but he worked in lieu of having Friday off). It's a fare swap for him to stay in bed for two mornings whilst we all get up as he's had to do it every day of the Easter holidays!!

Have a good day today x

Hi Jane

Isn't it a strange affair with these mid week bank holidays - I still have not got used to it even after all these years!!

Dinner last night was yummy – Have got to say the OH is making fantastic progress – I’ll be very sorry when he’s back at the office (next Monday) and the job of feeding the hordes returns to my arena. He made a fab ratatouille last night – über tasty and without the olive oil he would normally be using!

Today is going to be extra easy, I have plans for lunch out with some work mates but am not sure where we are going or what’s available so it’s a bit of a wild card– but - I have also brought my dinner from home – so I guess if there is absolutely nothing on the menu in I can eat at my desk when we get back (I’m pretty sure I can find something in the salad section though – unless we end up at Chinese or Indian in which case I’m abstaining! Only there fr the chat! ) Anyway – I’m back to carting a whole load of food into work haha.

SO today should look a bit like this?
Breakfast, at desk: raspberries and blueberries with vanilla yogurt
Lunch: eating out so not sure but possibility of a salad or if nothing good on the menu then I have a small portion of left over beef rending with rice and green beans to eat when we are back
Dinner, at home: chicken melts (chicken pizza thingies)with roast baby new potatoes and salad
HEA: cheese on chicken melts
HEB: not sure – may have toast for supper if I need it or might use it at lunchtime somehow

Hiya I was in my well for a year gained a fiancée and about 2 stone hahah I just have to stop with the emotional eating almost cracked at work today not because I was hungry but just stressed I didn't cave in the end so making steak for dinner with free veg and slimming world chips xx

Hiya I was in my well for a year gained a fiancée and about 2 stone hahah I just have to stop with the emotional eating almost cracked at work today not because I was hungry but just stressed I didn't cave in the end so making steak for dinner with free veg and slimming world chips xx

Glad you found your way out hun :D but hey you got engaged - that's great - congratulations!!! and well done for not cracking yesterday at work, Mmmmmm steak and chips....drooling at the thought:p. Hope I can stay with it today too....

BUT –it’s not a good start today – I was running late for my bus and left the house without my bag of food (cue thunderclap and dramatic sound effects that conjure looming disaster!!)

So I stopped at the bakery on my way into the office and bought a sandwich for breakfast – I am estimating synnage as follows:
Bread – 7 syns, ham free (dismantled the sandwich and put it back together so was able to remove all fat from the ham), mayo - 3syns - scraped most of but some had sort of ‘soaked ‘ into the bread, gherkin – free, and egg – free, at least there was no butter which was a saving grace I suppose! So just had breakfast and probably 10 syns have gone already. I will have to be super good for the rest of the day.
Not sure what I will find for lunch, there is a banana in my drawer so will have that and may pop over to the little supermarket to buy some more fresh fruit .
Dinner: will be made by OH so will have to report back later

On the topic of OH – he really excelled last night – dinner was a keema curry (syn free) with rice and some home made chicken tandoori kebabs cooked in the pannini press !! (have a look at these!).

photo.JPG
He also made natural yogurt and mint sauce dressing and an onion and mint side dish. The guys had poppadums but I didn’t bother – there was more than enough without! And I was supposed to bring some left over tandoori chicken, salad and some of the mint yogurt dressing for lunch but…….return to top of page for details!
Ah well as Dory said – just keep swimming………and it is my last day of work for 4 days so a little light at the end of the tunnel

Last edited:
Wow! Your hubby is doing well on the cooking front :drool:

The sandwich sounds yum although high syns. Like you say, it could have been worse!

Have a good day - enjoy your long weekend too!

National holiday today so just gonna relax and take it easy. Am planning a 100% day today but not sure what it will involve just yet.

On the topic of OH – he really excelled last night – dinner was a keema curry (syn free) with rice and some home made chicken tandoori kebabs cooked in the pannini press !! (have a look at these!).

View attachment 135850
He also made natural yogurt and mint sauce dressing and an onion and mint side dish. The guys had poppadums but I didn’t bother – there was more than enough without! And I was supposed to bring some left over tandoori chicken, salad and some of the mint yogurt dressing for lunch but…….return to top of page for details!
Ah well as Dory said – just keep swimming………and it is my last day of work for 4 days so a little light at the end of the tunnel[/QUOTE]

Oh my that looks and sounds lovely .. I have my first weigh in tonight eeek stayed on plan all week but not sure if I'm roasting enough guess the scales will tell xx

Surprised to see you up so early on a bank holiday!! Hubby is asleep.. I had to get up at 7am as normal as kids had to go to school (not bank holiday in our county!).

Enjoy your day off xx

Good luck with the weigh in carrieann- funny I always think of boxers when I hear weigh in - like before 'the big fight' not that I ever watch it !

Jane- I'm a waste of space when it cons to staying in bed lol! Once my eyes are open I can't settle back to sleep again so it's easier to get up then I'm not fidgeting and waking OH who incidentally would sleep all day if left to it. I'm def a morning person.

So ..... Show me the food!!

Breakfast- bacon and egg sarnie with brown sauce (HEB and 1 syn)

Lunch- tuna salad, strawberries

Dinner- not sure yet- I'm about to go head first into the freezer to see what's in there- wish me luck!!

Yesterday ended up as a red day- had ham and tomato sandwich for dinner but not until way after midnight!! Went to see the National Theatre's King Lear - broadcast live to 35 countries and as Austria was one of them felt I should make the effort- it was a great performance, I will definitely do it again - but it was a long night- didn't finish until 11.50 then taxi home hence late food!

Might try another red day today - the suns shining and I feel a BBQ coming on. Just had boiled eggs and soldiers for breakfast (HEB for bread) and 1 syn for scraping of Lurpak light spreadable. Am off to the shops to stock up on weekend goodies- will plan the rest of the day when I get back with my haul

Oh how id love a bbq rather than being stuck in a office working booooooooo :) x

Haha so much for the BBQ - absolutely lovely all day temp 23 degrees then we got a rumble of thunder and this

ImageUploadedByMiniMins.com1399051323.274767.jpg

Garden is a mud bath!!! Aww well food for grill is now in the oven so it's a indoor BBQ

Back