Consolidation Clarification of the rules

Poppy03

Silver Member
I have 1lb left to go or Thursday depending which one comes first, and then I am on consolidation. I read through the chapter again and just wanted to make sure I was going to do it right.

So he says I can have two slices of brown/wholemeal bread per day. I will be baking my own bread so is there a weight limit on this bread or just carefully cut slices and not door stops?

He says I can lightly spread some low fat butter on this if having as toast. Not seen anyone mention this before?

Cheese 40g per day. Does it matter what cheese? Is it more to do with the fat content? I note none of the veined etc cheese which is fine with me as I don't like them.

A piece of fruit - can't wait. No banana's cherries etc.

Then of course the 1 gala and 1 starchy foods turning to the 2 in the second part.

Every day is a PV day except one day a week of PP.

Have I missed anything?

I am looking forward to consolidating the weight although strangely concerned about coming out of keytosis and feeling hungry again!

Plenty of views but no comments :-(

Sorry I can't help, I have nearly 3 stone to go before I can even THINK about Consolidation :D

Thank you Mouse. I bought a loaf of brown wholemeal bread at the bakery today and they sliced it for me. I just weighed a slice and it is 45g! They must have teeny tiny bread in France :)

I hadn't read that far in the book yet but it doesn't look like a great deal of extra stuff to get excited about, think I am most looking forward to the fruit.

Plenty of views but no comments :-(

As far as cheese, hard-rind is recommended like cheddar. Avoid fermented cheese (if that's the right word) like blue cheese and goat cheese.

I also saw where he said we could spread a little butter on our bread but that makes me nervous. I have been using a bit of sf strawberry jam instead.

The starches, I'm assuming it is one serving a week during the first half of conso. I posted a few days ago questioning this because in his book he says one serving per week then a few pages later he says one per day. I'm sticking to the one per week.

As far as being hungry, I've had days where my appetite is nearly zero and others I'm starving. I still fall back on the hardboiled eggs and yogurt if I get famished. ;)

Right,

sorry for the 'delay' in responding - some of us are not on here all the time!

One portion of wholemeal bread a day - yes 60gr, that's a thinnish slice of my home made wholemeal & rye, or a WM pitta, a WM tortilla - but do weigh them at the beginning to make sure, shop sizes differ! I also found that's exactly a Sainsbury's snack-sized wholemeal roll.

One portion of Cheese a day: hard cheese like cheddar. 40gr. if you grate or slice it that is actually quite a sizeable amount. Have it in one meal, don't split it between two. Oh and a babybel cheese is 20gr - handy for a portable snack!

One fruit per day. For size think 'Apple' - so for smaller ones have two plums or apricots or a good slice of melon for example. No cherries, grapes, bananas.

One 'new' meat a week - lean lamb (can't remember which cut) or pork loin.

One portion of 200gr max (cooked - thats' about 80gr dried) weight wholemeal pasta OR brown rice A WEEK. I think to start with pasta is advised and DrD has an order of preference as far as other carbs (rice, potato) are concerned.

One 'Gala' meal a week. Anything you like including an alcoholic drink but do exercise portion control - no second helpings please. My first gala was a restaurant meal with a starter but no dessert.

Still two TB oatbran a day

PV every day (6 days)

1 PP day (suggested Thursday, and don't keep moving it around) no bread or fruit on the PP day.

I hope I have not forgotten anything but as you have the book you are fully informed!

If you want to jump into my conso diary from last September, one early post showing 3-days of menus is this way:

http://www.minimins.com/dukan-diaries/167845-anjas-journey-through-conso-closed-2.html#post2823950

Right,

One portion of 200gr max (cooked - thats' about 80gr dried) weight wholemeal pasta OR brown rice A WEEK. I think to start with pasta is advised and DrD has an order of preference as far as other carbs (rice, potato) are concerned.
Thank you for confirming this. I assumed it was once a week but was hoping for once per day. ;)

Thanks for that, I shall have a read of your diary in the morning. It wasn't so much the lack of people about it was more that it had 44 views and not one comment :-(

Thanks for all the other information, I shall have a good read through and ask for any clarifications then.

Poppy, no worries, I think you will find a lot of people slope off before reaching Conso or don't stick around forever (unlike sad cases like me!) so everyone wants to READ about it but does not necessarily feel confident to write about it. I never look at the 'views', but I always make sure I am subscribed to threads so I get notified if someone does reply.
And you will also find that it's much quieter here at the weekend and that some of us only have time to pop in every now and then....

I also saw where he said we could spread a little butter on our bread but that makes me nervous. I have been using a bit of sf strawberry jam instead.

A little butter gives the reintroduction of a little fat into our diet... getting an extra sugar fix by way of strawberry jam doesn't unfortunately add up to the same thing and could cause cravings for more of the same! (Gosh that hurt to type, how I adore strawberry jam and I know you make your own!!)

Thank you Mouse. I bought a loaf of brown wholemeal bread at the bakery today and they sliced it for me. I just weighed a slice and it is 45g! They must have teeny tiny bread in France :)

It's true that the "pain complet" at the baker's in France isn't huge but I think what we're seeing here is more that "the French" (and I'm generalising wildly here, because of course some do at lunchtime in cities!) don't tend to have a sandwich meal as many do in the UK.

It's a good thing not to get back into the sandwich meal, if you can help it. Nice as it might be (with crunchy accompanyments, and sweet things to follow). Certainly not something which will help us stabilise our weight loss.

Far better, in my humble opinion, to use your small bread ration for a snack, or an accompanyment to a meal, rather than try to stretch it to a sandwich (as it's not big enough, and you could be tempted to have more).

Good luck Poppy. As Jennifer said above, at hungry moments, or on hungry days, remember to dig deep into the Dukan basket (as I was taught on the French website). Everything we've learned to eat on PP days is a good filler - less so the extra yoghurts, though, but definitely head for chicken and boiled eggs. I used to tell myself "if you're hungry, have a boiled egg or a piece of chicken. Don't fancy it? Then you're not hungry!!"

Another conso oldie here!

Everything has been covered - one thing I will say is that you don't have to eat the whole pasta portion - 200gr cooked is a lot!

The bread ration is plenty to have with your cheese - if you want a sandwich, make Dukan bread as you won't get two slices from 40-60gr. I recently used my bread ration to make pizza (very thin base), so that's another idea.

Good luck - but no worrying, conso is great.:D

It's a good thing not to get back into the sandwich meal, if you can help it. Nice as it might be (with crunchy accompanyments, and sweet things to follow). Certainly not something which will help us stabilise our weight loss.....
Far better..... to use your small bread ration for a snack, or an accompanyment to a meal, rather than try to stretch it to a sandwich (as it's not big enough, and you could be tempted to have more)..... Everything we've learned to eat on PP days is a good filler - less so the extra yoghurts, though, but definitely head for chicken and boiled eggs. I used to tell myself "if you're hungry, have a boiled egg or a piece of chicken. Don't fancy it? Then you're not hungry!!"
That's such good advice, Maintainer, and as a bread fan I must remember to follow it when I get to Conso. I agree the DD oat bread will help here, but I realise that more and more I'm using it like substitute bread rather than changing my habits.

Thank you everyone that has responded, very good information. Does it have to be wholemeal pasta? I really don't like wholemeal pasta and I don't think I will be able to get my little one to eat it either. I have had problems with wheat in the past and have only been able to tolerate white bread and pasta. I think it may be linked to the thyroid issue so I am willing to give the wholemeal bread a go and see what happens but I think the wholemeal pasta may send me over the edge. It has been great doing this diet as there is no wheat so therefore no IBS :)

Robinhood, love the pizza idea. I did think the pasta amount was quite high. I assume you can't spread this over two meals :cry:

I have learned so much about eating, not eating and removing fear. I feel so much more in control of my body and my health now. Maintainer you are completely right about saying if hungry eat boiled egg/chicken and if you don't want to you really aren't that hungry. So true. I shall stick that in my memory and drag it out when the inevitable snack head slaps me around.

Half a pound to go :)

I strongly recommend Buckwheat pasta. Buckwheat is a seed, not a grain, it is high in minerals and one of the healthiest staples you can get. Given that it's a staple in Brittany, I would really value DD 's views on it but have not paid for coaching so can't ask. It's excellent if you are wheat intolerant, makes superb galettes, and is far better as pasta than the rice ones which are over refined. In the early days of my diet I used to improve the flavour of the DD galette occasionally by adding a dessert spoonful of buckwheat. It has no more starch than wheat bran so I figured it wouldn't hurt, but I don't do that any more. The original Russian blinis are made from it, along with yeast, in a batter that is allowed to rise.
I get the pasta and the flour from Tescos or a health food shop. In France it's called Ble Noir or Sarrazin.
Durum wheat makes my finger joints swell, so I avoid pasta most of the time.

Thanks Topaz, I shall have a look for that. Not on the Asda website so may have a peak around Sainsburys or Tesco's. I wonder if that is what has taken my finger joints down then.

Back