clothes sizes are confusing!!!!

popsicle

What is the deal with clothes sizes in the shops??? I have a pair of jeans from m&s size 18 which were tight at the beginning of the year but since losing 30lbs with ww, they now fall down without a belt but when I tried a pair of size 18 trousers in m&s the other day, they were too tight!!!! :cool:

If old clothes stretch then all my old clothes would fit but they don't. Some do & some don't although the sizes are the same. Bit of a strange answer :confused:

Sizing is at the shops discretion! That way a size 18 at a shop like Topshop feels about 2 sizes smaller than one at Evans! Also small, medium, large, etc also completely random sizing! This is why in my wardrobe I have some clothes that fit me fine at size 14 and others that are snug at size 20! :argh:

clothing sizes these days are rarely true to form i find , i can be anything from a 14/18 depending on shop/style/cut etc . 'Mare!!

What I find really annoying is when they limit how many items you can take in, because I usually have to take in 2 sizes of everything to make sure.

Becktoria79 said:
What I find really annoying is when they limit how many items you can take in, because I usually have to take in 2 sizes of everything to make sure.

With shops like that I really make use of the changing room staff - ask them to get other sizes for you, that's what they're there for :) and it gives them something to do! I use to have a wkend job at Gap, so talking from experience lol x

Half the time I think they make it up as they go along! I have 2 pairs of size 18 work trousers from Dorothy Perkins - one pair fits, the other pair is too small! Topshop, H&M and Zara are sized at least 1 size smaller than other shops. I bet your average Topshop size 14 is about a size 10/12 in M&S!

Evans sizes are big compared to most shops, I'd buy a 16 in there where I'd be an 18/20 in most other places - I don't know if it is "vanity" sizing or what (coz us fatties is just daft!). Even their shoes are enormous, as if being fat naturally means you have fat feet? I am a size 8 and my feet have fit into 6s in Evans before. In no other shop in the universe am I anything other than a size 8 shoe :rolleyes:.

Think it depends on the material a lot of the times, some tops you get have "bat wings" or are meant to look "baggy" therefore you will get in smaller sized tops in these, and then you have the "stretch" material jeans and trousers which you will also get in a smaller size, then you'll find that jeans / trousers which are more straight leg / skinny then you'll need a bigger size, but flares you tend to get into em in a smaller size, it depends on the material and the structure of the clothing itself :D

Back