Clothing sizes

Rachel L

Now i've lost some weight i am trying to get some new clothes but am getting very confused by the sizing. I like to buy on online so am trying to use their size guides but they don't seem accurate going by my past experiences.
My measurements are 40-34-38, which makes me a size 16 top, a size 18 waist and a size 12 hip :(, going by the size guides. However, when i actually try things on i am generally a large 14 top and a 14 bottom.
Does anyone else have this problem? I have no idea what size to get without trying things on. Are clothes being made bigger than what the guides say?

Yes I do get that problem! Often depends on where you are too as there is always such a difference between sizes in different places. I've bought clothes online before but get disappointed when they are too small/too big, so prefer buying them somewhere where I can take them back if they don't fit.

Some retailers are big on sizes, some small and some spot on. Size guides are just 'guides' at the best of times lol!

Congrats on your weight loss btw, woohoo very nearly at your goal! Well done!

I find next clothes are pretty close to the size guide they give on their website.

I also have the problem of having big hips and bum and a small waist which can make finding clothes that fit confusing.

Urgh, just went shopping today and tried on loads of size 18 dresses in House of Fraser that were too big then some size 18 dresses in Monsoon that were too small. It is hard to win.

I have thee hardest time finding jeans. They fit around the waist but are loose in the leg. They are usually to long, and it sucks. :[
Going to fix that problem though! :]

The problem is that every shop is different a bit isn't it? Jeans too - find Topshop ones are made for people with skinny legs!

Back