Clothing transitions

AGray

I've been at SlimmingWorld now for exactly a month and lost so far about 10lb in this period overall. Never been one for diets as if i ever wanted to truely lose weight i'd just hit the gym, but now i want to work it side-by-side and hope for good results.

One thing i've often wondered is, for the larger folk who have managed to hit their targets - It can be a pricey affair to get fit, with monthly payouts to gym memberships as well as SlimmingWorld or competition. Also the "healthier" foods as opposed to any potential junkfood.

Those things are fairly common in discussions though - But what about the actual transitions the body goes through which means having to buy new clothes every 3-4 months?

Personally due to my size, my clothes can be expensive as none of the normal retailers around the UK stock large-man clothing (Generally they range upto about 3xl'ish) which means you have to look at internet companies or smaller independant retailers. Even then, the clothes aren't magnificant compared to the stylish clothes the normal sized people have.

If you're doing it right you should be dropping weight and getting toned in the process, which means the clothes you have end up looking really loose or baggy on you - Which while they say "ohh you can tell the difference!" there comes a point where it would look downright silly. So you may need to spend on getting clothes in that suit your body to how it is now, rather than how it used to be.

The goal at the end of the day is to look slim and healthy so you will need to get a new wardrobe periodically. But for those who have dropped clothe-sizes did buying the clothes get pricey in the end, or did it get cheaper because the actual retailers finally had clothes in your size?

I've gone through alot of clothes over the past 15 months going from a size 18-20 to size 10. I love Sainsburys clothes, they just seem to fit my shape and are good quality and cheap enough. My sw group has had a couple of clothes swaps during this time which has helped with getting some in the right size. Also charity shops do also have some good things. From a female perspective, Sainsburys is alot cheaper than Evans and Yours which was where I was shopping. I managed for a time with belts, but eventually the clothes just looked silly and people were telling me to get some new clothes!

In answer to your question, clothes are now cheaper, but I have more of them!!! :D

i used to spend a fortune on my 'bigger' clothes, mostly due to having to get them online, thru a catalogue or big/tall men's shops.. some tshirts could be up to £25-30 for a style i liked, £15-20 for a plain colour. jeans were £40+
but now that i have lost the weight and bulk .. i can buy clothes from 90% of the highstreet shops, and i am spending alot less, i can save even more by buying from supermarkets, some tshirts sell for £4 and i'm still losing weigh so buying a new tshirt every few months for a few pounds is a lot better then £20+ and stores own brand jeans are from £3.. ok so it's not a named product, no flashy logo's or designs, but i'm trying to be healthy not fashionable.

ok, so i am spending more on the 'healthier' food but it's worth every penny in the long run.
healthy food should cost less, maybe one day in future it will.. and when it is i'll do a little dance wearing my skinny clothes :p

I've been quite cheap ;) I've done 12 months SW buying 12 week countdowns ,2 weeks free :)
I use the market for fruit veg when I can or LIDL.
I've used my wiifit not a gym. Then I treated myself to a mini trampoline. I also walk the dog now I can again :)
I lived in my black leggings, tops for the most part of my journey, not buying any clothes bar smaller leggings, couple tops from charity shops.
Until a few months ago when I got to a stretchy top size 10, I started size 22. I've replenished my whole wardrobe with some bits from asda, matalan. But 80% has come from my new hobby, charity shops! I've designered myself out! I've spend a few hundred pounds and got thousands and thousands of pounds worth! I flipping love it! I'm addicted now! Mr treated me to 2 pairs of Levi's jeans from Cheshire Oaks, as I've never in my 45 years owned a pair. People have given me jeans and clothes too.
So considering the one outfit from Evans costing £150 to wasted £30 Dominoes etc I think I've done very well, I've lost 5.5 stone in a year, a new wardrobe, love of exercise, new hobby shopping! Made new friends at SW class who are lovely :) I'm half a stone from target :)

Thinking back i know a few months ago i had a look in my wardrobe and seen all the clothes i had, with about 50% clothes from a long time ago which i knew wouldn't fit me (now).

I stored them away for one day in the future, so i suppose pulling them out as and when i need them could help in some way, guess that would be my first port of call at least for now!

When I started my journey in January, I was wearing size 28's, which basically meant there were only two shops I could get anything in to fit me. In fact though I was probably really a 30, because many of my 28's didn't fit. I was only actually wearing about 10% of the clothes in my wardrobe.

For the first few months, I didn't need to buy any new clothes, because I had plenty left from previous attempts. But from March/April, I have been buying smaller sizes - now wearing mostly 22's and some 20's. Still can't buy anything designer (not that I would want to), but I can now shop in most high street shops.

My strategies for keeping the costs down include: charity and factory outlet shops; special offers and sales; cheap chains and cast offs. The average cost of items I'm buying is much less than it used to be. I'm also looking for elasticated/drawstring waists, stretch fabric, and other features which mean that clothes will fit me for a longer time than more fitted items, as I have a few more sizes to go.

Like littlemeercat, I have a lot more clothes that I can actually wear now! This is me enjoying myself, and also trying to find a new style.... having been very fat most of my life, I have rarely chosen clothes because they looked good, only because they looked marginally less dreadful than the other 2 or 3 things in the shop that fit..... When buying clothes is a trial, you tend to only buy things when you need to, rather than for pleasure.

Barbara

I started at size 16 and can now fit in to most size 10 trousers and some size 10 tops but mostly size 12.
It hasn't been too bad for me so far as I still had smaller clothes from when I was a bit smaller but I have had to buy new things. I've been tending to wear the same things over and over again simply because I don't want to spend a pile on clothes if I'm going to get smaller plus I'm off to Florida in 2 weeks and will be shopping til I drop...designer for cheap oh yeh!

To keep cost low though I get most clothes from primark and new look.

I never buy clothes in shops, apart from charity shops. In fact, I don't go shopping at all, apart from food shopping. I am the retail industry's nightmare - someone who has given up shopping! You probably heard today that M&S profits are way down and that is probably all my fault! Clothes, handbags, trainers, cosmetics - all from eBay. Got a lovely designer coat (French designer, so no-one bid on it presumably because no-one had heard of the name) for £10 plus postage on eBay recently. Retail price, new, would have been over £100. I can get clothes to fit in cheaper shops now, which I couldn't before, but why bother? I am buying really nice clothes for less than Primark prices - and no queuing at the tills!.

I struggled with bottoms - going from an 18-20 to a 14 over a few months, it didn't take long until I looked like I was wearing Hammer pants the whole time with trouser crotches hanging round my knees! It was hard because I was based in Brazil where clothes are ridiculously expensive, Lycra heavy and weirdly cut (Brazilian women do love their muffin top jeans for some reason!) but 100% sales tax on imports meant buying stuff online wasn't really an option, either. It forced me to be really inventive for a while. And then the first thing I did post-move was buy loads of shorts and skirts that actually fit - happy days!

i was a 16 to start with had 1 pair of jeans and lots of leggings and about 4-5 tops that i wore i just lived in these all the time.. i was lucky to have some very generous friends that have given me some size 14 stuff and i have bought bits of ebay. i have quite a lot of 14 stuff that fits nicely. not all of it is stuff i would chooses but seeing as i wont be wearing it long i dont care. i have a suitcase full of size 12s in the loft from pre-pregnancy. if i dont need to buy anything i go to primark ebay ect and get key pieces like black trousers for work nice jeans ect.

my only expense really is slimming world meetings. i run in the evenings which is free (other than the £30 trainers to start) and i dont find it much different cost wise to eat healthy

I started at a 24 top and 26 bottom, and have experienced the same thing of finding I'm able to buy things from cheaper places - I even spot things in my size in charity shops occasionally now. One thing that's been a lifesaver for me actually is my best mate in the last year dropped her baby weight from a size 22 to a 14 through calorie counting / gymming, and as she's gone down sizes she's kept jeans tops she thinks I'd like and donated them my way. As I was squeezing myself into things that didn't fit before I'm only now at 18-20 top / 20-22 bottom finding that I'm defintely too small for most of the clothes I had, so she's saving me lots of money by donating them to me. She's been really supportive to me (unlike a few other mates) and I'm really glad to have seen her go through it

Additionally actually, I picked up some clothes earlier in the year at a Plus Size Clothes Swap Shop - the premise was you bring 5 items (or more to donate) paid a few quid in, then could take an equivalent number of items other people had donated. It was a fab day, and I came away with some brill stuff - worth looking out for any arranged in your local area!

There's some fab ideas here, for some reason I never even thought of Charity shops for clothes, have been living in Germany for 3 years and they didn't have any :)

Back