Colours

*Cupcake*

is working hard.....
I have decided to shake up my wardrobe a bit and add a few colour accessories / cheap bits to motivate me. The choice though, seems to be huge. :eek:

As a *larger* lady, I have always stuck to black, dark brown, more black and a very occasional grey. I've always believed dark colours to be slimming (who am I kidding?!!) :whistle:

So the question is, what other colours are slimming? And what is :airquote: 'in'?!!

TIA xx :wavey:

No colour is really slimming. Nothing really fools anyone, least of all yourself.

I don't wear skirts or dresses, only trousers and tops. My trousers are usually M&S jersey ones (the only clothes that I ever buy new). I have them in black, light grey, dark grey, denim blue, and pale blue. I particularly like shades of grey as they are so flexible and go with anything, and I don't wear much black these days as it reminds me of what I wore to work before I retired.

My tops are all colours of the rainbow (and a lot more besides!). I have quite a few Cotton Traders tops for the gym and general round the house summer wear, as they are so comfortable. Colours - today's is pale yellow, and I have various shades of blue, bright pink, pale grey and a sort of khaki colour (a mistake, too dull).

I particularly love bright fuchsia pinks and strong blues; bright reds and silver greys are favourites, too. I have a few white tops but I wear them under other things (like denim waiscoats) because too much white makes me look too pale.

Tomorrow I hope to be bidding on a top on eBay which has so many bright colours in it, if I get it you will be able to see me from outer space!!!

My sister thinks my colours are far too young for me now I am over 60. But I don't care!!! Get out there and shine!!!

Last edited:
Oooh good for you, coral colours are in at the moment, (not that im a gok wan either!) I have also recently bought some nice waterfall cardigans, go lovely with leggings, jeans, trousers. I also like to wear darker colours on the bottom. primark really is great for some jewellery to liven up your outfits. I live in linen trousers too in the summer, the only trousers i ever buy in white!! I do think that black can be slimming, but it can always be livened up. and i think that it is about confidence, you could be wearing a bin bag, but if you are confident, it suddenly looks much better on !!! xx

If you have a good-sized M&S near you, go and have a look at the colours in the Per Una section. They have some amazing colour combinations in their current collection and you might get some ideas of colours that you wouldn't normally put together.

My wardrobe was always navy! (Black doesn't do much for my pale complexion) Now I have lots of fuschia pink, purple, jade green. I go to Asda every year and get a load of theit cheap t shirts in jewel colours, it definitely cheers you up. We can get away with large patterns too.

Thanks for all the tips - what a colourful lot you all are!

I've been mooching around asos online this morning (can't get out to the shops due to being on crutches atm) and I'm seeing so many things I like!

DD has been making me paperchain necklaces in different colours this morning to try out what they look like (very stylish I am too!). :) xx

The other type of thing to do is buy shapes that suit you. I dare not wear round necked teeshirts as my boobs look as if they have killer radars hidden in them.

Hun, check out this link and find the match that best suits your skin type etc. and it should give you a starting point for colours! I nipped into the British Heart Foundation shop the other day and their jewellery is amazing - lovely chunky bead necklaces etc. Sainsbury's also do some fab jewellery and not too pricey!

Which colours suit me? - soFeminine.co.uk

xxx

Thanks - that site has got some great tips :).

I can remember a friend from a long while ago raving about a consultation she had with a woman who had hundreds of different colour silk scarves which she draped round my friend's neckline to check her 'colour'. Some kind of style consultant I think.

Time for a google! xx

Thanks - that site has got some great tips :).

I can remember a friend from a long while ago raving about a consultation she had with a woman who had hundreds of different colour silk scarves which she draped round my friend's neckline to check her 'colour'. Some kind of style consultant I think.

Time for a google! xx

A friend of mine had this done through 'Colour Me Beautiful' and have to say she always looks fabulous! She got a little swatch booklet to take shopping with her - they gave her base colours, secondary colours and accessorises colours - not cheap though xxx

Back