Common SW misconceptions put right.

Very helpful :)

It always confuses and worries me slightly when people say they dont want to eat their syns, that they have no desire to have them.

Surely the reason why we are all here is that at some point in our lives we have over eaten on the wrong type of food to the extent that it has made us overweight. There is no shame in that, its just the way it is.

When someone starts on slimming world and then says they dont want to eat any chocolate, or crisps or biscuits or cakes at all, or any full fat sausages, or any real chips, or any pies or anything - it makes me wonder - if you dont want to eat those things now, how on earth did you manage to become overweight in the first place???

According to slimming world, I got this big because I didn't eat enough, I haven't had any sort of appetite since I was a teenager so because I don't feel hungry I don't eat. I can quite easily go for the whole day and eat nothing, it's not a matter of not eating the food because it's bad or because I don't want to or anything like that I simply don't feel hungry. My husband does all the cooking and I was eating dinner simply because I didn't want to offend him not because I wanted it. I am still struggling to eat 3 meals a day now but something is working because in my first week I lost 1.5lb. Hugs Crystal xx

Last edited:
Great thread with some really useful information!

I started gaining weight about a year ago; whilst still sticking to the Plan - the area consultant looked at my diary and said that what I was eating was okay; but that maybe my portion control was at fault. I reduced the size of my meals and started to lose again.

I seem to have the odd blip (like last week where I gained 2.5 pounds on the Plan:cry::cry:) and yet as far as I'm aware my portion size is the same???:confused:

I was told by a pharmacist that the medication I'm on says that you "may gain weight with it" as it stops the message from your stomach to your brain telling you that you are full after a meal; hence the potential to over-eat.

As I'm never quite sure when I feel full; I find it hard to work out when I'm eating too much or not eating enough!:confused:

If that's the case the following the recommended serving sizes on things like pasta, rice and other free foods might be a good idea. Don't let it get you down - you're doing really well!

If that's the case the following the recommended serving sizes on things like pasta, rice and other free foods might be a good idea. Don't let it get you down - you're doing really well!

Thank you so much - that's a really good idea! How many bits of fruit do you eat a day?? Thanks:)

hi everyone, Having failed at all else I've just joined SW on line. This is a brill thread. I'd like advice on portion size too. I can't find any recommended portion sizes in the book for free foods. Can you point me in the right direction?

I'd like advice on portion size too. I can't find any recommended portion sizes in the book for free foods. Can you point me in the right direction?
You won't find one because
Free foods are called free because you can have as much as you want without feeling guilty. No measuring, no weight - just eat until you're full.
But the operative bit is "eat until you are full".
Also eat slowly so that you stomach has time to get the message to your brain that you are full. If you wolf down a huge bowl of pasta in a couple of minutes you brain will lag at least 10 minutes behind.

So wait at least 15 minutes before yuo contemplate having a pud say and you might find that you really don't need it.

If like aliscrapper you are on meds that confuse your "full reflex" then do follow the guidelines for the opposite day from what you are on. So for example on a Green day - have the size of spud that would be appropriate for a red day.

aliscrapper Re fruit. Most fruit is free so again you can have as much as you want. I eat lots. I have "green" veg soup and a big bowl of mixed melon & berries every day for lunch (and I mean big). Plus I will often have more fruit and a yoghurt after my supper. I do try to stick to the superspeed fruits though as these are lower in natural sugars. Take care in the quantity of high sugar and very citric fruits.
Also remember you can't juice or smoothy them - they count as syns like this.

Theres a two great thread that are useful for both newbies and oldies alike.
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/116347-slimming-world-faqs-3.html#post1997129

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...mers-including-extra-easy-12.html#post1718733

Written by the same lady but with different bits in each one.

Hi, I'm a bit confused about something to do with EE.

I always have roughly a third superfree with every meal, but does it have to be in a pile next to the food? For example, I had fat free noodles last night and loads of steamed mushrooms and peppers on top with veg broth. I'm guessing that would be ok, but what about pasta bakes, stews and casseroles etc, where it's all cooked together? It is ok to just make sure a third of it is superfree?

Also, transversely, if it isn't possible to make sure a third of the meal contains superfree, for example spaghetti carbonara (Which would be weird cooked with veg in it) can I have a side salad with it to make sure i'm sticking to the third?

Hi MsMia - similar question to one I have. My OH is not a big vegetable fan so I sneak loads of superfree veg into chilli, bolognaise, other meat sauces as possible. Bet he doesn't realise that half the packet of extra lean mince goes to the dog as a special treat!

OH only does lettuce and cucumber on the salad front so I try to get as much as possible into him without his realising.

I am sure that side salad would be superfree portion whether or not it is on same plate.

What about mushrooms with carbonara? sounds nice to me

Thank you for this great thread, I'm new to SW EE and found this very helpful.....

hopefully its working for me, will see on monday!! eek!!

Cx

I would just like to make a comment relating to several of the posts above about not being allowed to freely eat Free Food as snacks.

The book clearly states;

"Plus all the fabulous Free Foods you can anjoy anytime to satify your appetite, also with no limits."

The bold bits are as they are in the book.

This is from the Food Optimising book I was given on joining a group just 6 weeks ago.

So yes, you can snack whenever you like on Free Foods, as well as the Superfree Foods.

It says no limits too - you just have to exercise the control not to eat when you already feel full, or not snack if you're not hungry.

Perhaps it will be a quicker weight-loss if you don't, but it's not a race and you won't stick to it if you feel deprived either.

Ruthie - I haven't been doing this very long and I am sure others are much more savvy than me - but from common sense I agree with you - SW free foods tend to be lower in calories than things that people (like me!) eat as treats or quick fills.

Caveat being that processed/full of artificial ingredients foods like fat free yoghurts, mug shots etc. do have reasonable amounts of calories and would add up if you eat them to excess.

I think your comments about not eating when not hungry and deprivation leading to falling off the wagon are spot on!

Mushrooms are a great idea :) I don't know why I didn't think of that. :) Oh and hiding vegetables FTW, I love my blender. I just whizz up all the vegetables I've satueed with chopped tomatoes, use half of it in sauce (which is lush) and half of it the next day watered down as a soup. Which is scrummy and completely free :)

I have always been told that i ave to syn veggies and fruit if i blend them or cook them. Have i been told wrong?

I have always been told that i ave to syn veggies and fruit if i blend them or cook them. Have i been told wrong?

It's only fruit that needs to be synned when blended, blended veg is free! :)

Back