Common SW misconceptions put right.

That's pretty much what it says on the website.
I'm in the "you DON'T need to syn what you don't eat" camp!

I'm in the same camp jaylou! Even though we don't 'count calories' in my view consuming a few less should not be a classed as a 'bad' thing (within reason obv!)

xxx

It's exactly what was confirmed by SW too - you don't need to syn a heathly extra if you only have part of it. Regardless of whether the part you don't have is an addition like scan bran, or half of a whole portion of weetabix!

It's not logical, and fortunately SW back it up too.

So the misconception is that you have to syn HE's if you don't eat all of it, and that is FALSE.

Just read this thread and much of the original advice is really helpful. So thank you Jennyona plate for the start of this thread.

All this malarky on HE only using half is really confusing. I don't eat dairy - never have as I just don't like it (sad I know) but manage to get about 120 ml of semi-skimmed milk a day down me in cups of tea. So I have to SYN it 'cos I haven't had all of my ration? Rubbish IMHO. I'll just carry on as I am and counting it as a half thank you very much.

The other thing I find a tad annoying is the argument on fat vs muscle.
Muscle does not weigh more than fat, and you cannot build muscle after a few workouts. It takes a very long time, and intensive weight lifting workouts to build muscle, so if you STS or have a small gain after starting exercise it will likely be water assisting the muscle repair and not weight gain. Also, 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle.

I trained as a PE teacher. When I left college after 5-6 hours of physical exercise per day, I was 2 stone overweight. I never taught - did LESS exercise and cut down on food and lost the 2 stone in no time at all.

I know Jaffaqueen and Brightonrosie joined in on this earlier but thought I would also add my two pennarth!

SCIENTIFIC FACT: By VOLUME, muscle does weight more than fat.
DENSITY - Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is approx. 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one litre of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one litre of fat would weight 0.9 kg.
In other words, muscle is about 18% more dense than fat.

TRUE - 1 lb of muscle weights the same as 1 lb of fat. Pretty obvious, what?
TRUE - doing a small amount of exercise will not add muscle weight quickly so you can't use it as an excuse for sts or gains.
TRUE - People with a higher proportion of muscle to fat ratio WILL weight more than someone with a low muscle to fat ratio.
TRUE - There is big range in what the actual human skeleton weighs. Your ideal weight should be based on your frame size as well as your height hence the range of ideal BMI (18.5 - 25).

I'm here top be shot down if anyone wants to disagree.

Pommette said:
TRUE - doing a small amount of exercise will not add muscle weight quickly so you can't use it as an excuse for sts or gains.
TRUE - People with a higher proportion of muscle to fat ratio WILL weight more than someone with a low muscle to fat ratio.
TRUE - There is big range in what the actual human skeleton weighs. Your ideal weight should be based on your frame size as well as your height hence the range of ideal BMI (18.5 - 25).

I completely agree with you on this. Well said!

Pommette said:
Just read this thread and much of the original advice is really helpful. So thank you Jennyona plate for the start of this thread.

All this malarky on HE only using half is really confusing. I don't eat dairy - never have as I just don't like it (sad I know) but manage to get about 120 ml of semi-skimmed milk a day down me in cups of tea. So I have to SYN it 'cos I haven't had all of my ration? Rubbish IMHO. I'll just carry on as I am and counting it as a half thank you very much.

The other thing I find a tad annoying is the argument on fat vs muscle.

I trained as a PE teacher. When I left college after 5-6 hours of physical exercise per day, I was 2 stone overweight. I never taught - did LESS exercise and cut down on food and lost the 2 stone in no time at all.

I know Jaffaqueen and Brightonrosie joined in on this earlier but thought I would also add my two pennarth!

SCIENTIFIC FACT: By VOLUME, muscle does weight more than fat.
DENSITY - Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is approx. 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one litre of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one litre of fat would weight 0.9 kg.
In other words, muscle is about 18% more dense than fat.

The only bit I disagree with is the BMI bit and that's only because I hate BMI! I mean it classes most Olympians obese which is stupid!

The only bit I disagree with is the BMI bit and that's only because I hate BMI! I mean it classes most Olympians obese which is stupid!
Under any good BMI sites it does state that this measuremnt is not suitable for athletes etc for the reason you state above

Shardi, please also remember than long distance runners can end up being down in the UNDERWEIGHT category. Look at Paula Radcliffe!

BMI is a good indication but it needs to have some "sense" applied to it too.

Pommette said:
Shardi, please also remember than long distance runners can end up being down in the UNDERWEIGHT category. Look at Paula Radcliffe!

BMI is a good indication but it needs to have some "sense" applied to it too.

I agree. It's when newspapers and people use it as the be all and end all. The problem is people think it's the only thing that matters, it doesn't take into account bone density which makes a hell of a difference. I reckon body fat % would be a better measure but of course it's harder to get but it is the one that gives an indication of health as there are a lot of really skinny people who have internal fat (ie around the internal organs).

just a little tip that helped me realise just how much bulk is in
semi-skimmed milk be warned its grose!
my daughter refused to drink anything except a glass of milk during a sickness bug despite me telling her repeatedly that its going to come up nasty, she drank it, just a small glass about 250 mls but 30 mins later it turned to what could only be matched with mozerella cheese like two packets worth! grose story but it highlighted the point that it may look like its not going to harm your diet but what goes on once youve digested it is a different story!
sorry if ive put u off you nosh but it was a valuble lesson for me i didnt have dairy for a month after! lol now i measure milk and never guess.

euck i remember this well my son was allergic to milk i couldn't believe how it looked when it came back out as u say just like mozerella cheese i'm going back 26 years and can remember it like yesterday lol :)

I found this post very helpful, thanks for posting! :)

euck i remember this well my son was allergic to milk i couldn't believe how it looked when it came back out as u say just like mozerella cheese i'm going back 26 years and can remember it like yesterday lol :)

thats disgusting. i wish soya milk was cheaper.

can i just say btw, the muscle and fat thing dosnt make sence.... of course 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat..... the weigh quantities are the same... if you had say a bucket of fat and a bucket of muscle then that would be a fairer test!

can i just say btw, the muscle and fat thing dosnt make sence.... of course 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat..... the weigh quantities are the same... if you had say a bucket of fat and a bucket of muscle then that would be a fairer test!

Spot on - a bucket of muscle would weight about 18% more than a bucket of fat!

Oh I love this thread, as a newbie on ee I didnt even realise I had to fill my plate 1/3 full of superfoods every meal ( I will have to re-read my book and check which foods are superfoods lol).
I was def told in the clas tho that i could eat as much Free food as i wanted, Which never really rang true to me at the time anyway so thank god i've not been doing it coz im praying for a decent loss this week!

I found this thread useful as a newbie, thank-you so much for putting me on the right track from the start...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

Back