Common SW misconceptions put right.

Hi Flossyxo!

Your Syns are there to be used! Syns keep you sane!
Having a little of what you fancy, means you're less likely to go mad and binge!

I may be a little late with the reply but I hope this helps! xx

More and more 'experts' are now saying that sugar and not fat is the main cause of the growing obesity problem. If this is the case, then maybe the real reason Polly has lost more weight than her friend isn't so much because she's used fewer Syns and therefore had fewer calories, but because she used Syns on 'good' things i.e things without sugar.

(Great loss by the way Polly - well done!)

I totally agree with this - i think there is less and less of an argument surrounding 'fat' and a lot more evidence pointing towards sugar as the enemy. Personally i think using syns on 'natural' foods is the way to go, as opposed to processed. Not to mention how addictive sugar is too..

I totally agree with this - i think there is less and less of an argument surrounding 'fat' and a lot more evidence pointing towards sugar as the enemy. Personally i think using syns on 'natural' foods is the way to go, as opposed to processed. Not to mention how addictive sugar is too..

I'm not entirely sure I think it's a good mix of both, what I do think our (as in society) danger is hidden fats and sugar.

Sw really highlights the raw fats of things, animal fats, removal of, cooking oils etc but still I believe biggest challenge for obesity is hidden fats and sugars.

We all know a bar of chocolate is laden but a salad with croutons and dressing to alot is the healthy choice.
The hidden sugar in food to counter act the amount of salt used for taste.

Which brings us again to fresh cooking where we know exactly what's in it.

I personally think you can eat too much fruit, that's my thinking and also mugshots should not be used as a meal but for a snack, it may be syn free but it's not a free food that counts towards your food optimising plan

this post is very useful, I've just started SW and i choose this instead of other diets because what i really want is to learn to eat healthy, and I know i can cook ok so I am really hoping to plan things and cook new things instead of using things like bars, mugshots etc which are high in salt...but so easy to prepare...there is also that issue with the time that sometimes we don't have time to cook...

Everyone does not have big losses in their first week. A lot of people do, but a lot of people also start slowly, it bears no relation to their long term success of the plan, as things usually balance out over the following few weeks.

I'm going to read that line a million times to make myself feel better

I'm going to add a controversial one...

"Syn free" is not the same as "free food"..

Just because something he has a zero / free syn value, it's not a free food..
It still should go in the syns column but with a zero next to it..

If you ate 30 muller lights and 3 packs of bachelors beef rice and nothing else then while you've still had zero syns, you've also not had any "real food"

I'm going to add a controversial one... "Syn free" is not the same as "free food".. Just because something he has a zero / free syn value, it's not a free food.. It still should go in the syns column but with a zero next to it.. If you ate 30 muller lights and 3 packs of bachelors beef rice and nothing else then while you've still had zero syns, you've also not had any "real food"
I completely agree with this.

This is a fabulous thread and I will be coming back to it often to keep on track. Thanks for all the hard work and good advice!

If you ate 30 muller lights and 3 packs of bachelors beef rice and nothing else then while you've still had zero syns, you've also not had any "real food"

This is so true - I see so many posts on FB from people eating ridiculous food! SW is all about educating yourself to eat healthily for life.

Agrees, and worth thinking about.

Back