Confessions of an Indecisive Dieter

I'm not sure thats true Jilly, alcohol is actually digested first as it uses the same enzymes that are used to digest carbs, which means that alcohol calories (about 7cals per gram) are burned and then your food calories, which is often what leads to weight gain.

For juddd no alcohol should be consumed on a DD regardless of whether it fits into your cals or not, because simply put when you are burning alcohol for fuel you're not burning fat and that is what defeats the purpose.

I'd be paralytic if I drank alcohol on a fasting day whatever the burning off process. It would go straight to my head. :)

Haha I promise I'm not an alcoholic! I usually only drink one day a week, which is normally a saturday UP.

I mostly agree. I don't think I've ever had alcohol on a down day, but my 800 calorie day was actually an 'up' day, eating so little wasn't planned (well it was, but not that low) it was a stressy day and I fancied relaxing with wine. The end result was me turning into a bit of a zombie - I doubt I'll be doing it again on so little food cals.

I'd be paralytic if I drank alcohol on a fasting day whatever the burning off process. It would go straight to my head. :)

Lol, that's exactly why I doubt I'll be doing it again :p

Haha I promise I'm not an alcoholic! I usually only drink one day a week, which is normally a saturday UP.

I mostly agree. I don't think I've ever had alcohol on a down day, but my 800 calorie day was actually an 'up' day, eating so little wasn't planned (well it was, but not that low) it was a stressy day and I fancied relaxing with wine. The end result was me turning into a bit of a zombie - I doubt I'll be doing it again on so little food cals.

Lol, that's exactly why I doubt I'll be doing it again :p

I'd be terrified the booze munchies would find me and I'd be last seen hot footing it down the chipper!

I'm not sure thats true Jilly, alcohol is actually digested first as it uses the same enzymes that are used to digest carbs, which means that alcohol calories (about 7cals per gram) are burned and then your food calories, which is often what leads to weight gain.

For juddd no alcohol should be consumed on a DD regardless of whether it fits into your cals or not, because simply put when you are burning alcohol for fuel you're not burning fat and that is what defeats the purpose.

Well yes you are indeed right, and so am I but i don't always explain things very well..this is some research that explains it rather better than I can..my old brain no longer holds facts for long LOL!!

Relationship between alcohol intake, body fat, and physical activity

I gained 1lb this weigh-in! So that's it, no more starving myself. I had my usual up last saturday, then sunday was a down, monday up, down on tuesday, 800 cals wednesday, I had 0 cals thursday and 400 friday. How on earth could that make me gain :/

So today will be an up, but not more than 1500, I find it difficult to eat 2000 unless I have wine. Monday, tues, thurs & fri will be downs with an up on weds, sat and sun. I'll add light exercise this week & re-access after saturdays weigh-in. If I haven't lost anything then I'll be saying bye bye to JUDDD. I hate it when I gain or stay the same after trying so hard =( but I do realise that having so many downs isn't good for me - I just needed to shake things up.

I'm actually scared to eat (I've had nothing yet) so my little experiment hasn't really achieved anything.

Meh!

Last edited:
I remember reading something about when does intermittent fasting in fact become intermittent feeding, which kinda sounds like what you've been doing, maybe try and run your own version of this. Might help you understand things better and get some losses going:

DayTypeWindowMax CalsUD Cal AllowanceDeficitAverage
ThuDDU5pm onwards2000199010
FriUUUAll Day25001990510
SatDDD5pm -10pm5001990-1490
SunDDU5pm -10pm12001990-790
MonDDD5pm -10pm5001990-1490
TueDDU5pm -10pm12001990-790
WedDDD5pm -10pm5001990-1490
840013930-55301200

How on earth could that make me gain :/

I know what you mean, I thought the same with my cals (I did double down that week) and ended up with a 0.5 lb gain :confused:. I deffo don't think those double down days are doing peeps any good weight wise/juddd magic.... and they make me crave like mega crazy

x

So, I thought I posted this the other day, but I looked at my other tabs just now and realised I hadn't pressed enter :/ anyway, here it is..

I'm back, the same weight I was in my last post =(. I just couldn't lose any weight before Paris, I tried so hard. I ended up staying there for 2 weeks instead of 1. We had the most amazing view of the tower and Invalides, to see it light up and sparkle every night on the hour from 7pm was lovely! It was only a 5-10 minute walk from the apartment we rented too. I had a great time, but gained 4lbs - not bad for all the wine and french food I tried! I lost that gain within about 5 days of being back, and I'm still the same today, well the same as before I went away which was somehow 1lb above my lowest.

I'm still in shock at how much money was spent, we could have gone half way across the world for the amount of money we spent on flights, accommodation and everything else. We had trouble with the hire car because it was booked with a visa debit instead of a mastercard, even though they took the money out of the account! So we thought F it and got the metro, which was an experience all by itself lol :/.

My OH is working abroad, so I'll be moving over there soon. I won't say where on here because I'd prefer my ex not to know (I know that's being paranoid, but oh well) I'm in the process of packing my house up and I'll be staying with him for a while, before moving properly. This is pretty stressful because I need to leave my 2 cats with my sister, sounds silly but I hate the thought of leaving them behind. I'm also selling all of my furniture and giving a load of stuff to charity.

I decided to eat low cal when I got back, I was having between 1000-1200 daily. Today is my first proper down day since being back and I'm finding it really difficult! I've really missed my down days though. I was considering not coming back to juddd because my losses had stalled for so long, but I'm hoping that's because I went a little ott with it. I'll see how the scales go with me doing the diet properly & re-access in a couple of weeks.

Weigh-in today and I'm down 3lbs! Finally! =D I've met my goal of getting back to my lowest weight in 2010 (or even a couple of years before that) and I've just realised I'm over half way to my goal weight! I was a size 8 at 136lbs before, at the rate I'm losing (other than this week) I'll be lucky if I get there in a couple of years :/ oh well, very happy today! The scales rule my life ;p

Sounds like you had a fab time on your holiday! :D. Oh and 4 lb on in 2 weeks is really not bad at all. I always worry about losing the gain and hope to have it off within a week

Well done on your losses so far since being back from hols, you're doing great x

well done on the 3lbs loss & being over the half way mark.xx
Mixing things up does help in breaking stalls so go with what works for you, hopefully you'll keep up the loss rate (fingers crossed)

I can't seem to stick to juddd right now, which is a shame because its helped me lose a lot of weight, but with such a lifestyle change (moving countries) I feel like I need to shake things up a bit. I only managed one dd this week, and two the week before. I've decided to do the atkins diet. I know a lot of people are anti atkins but I've heard it's good for pcos sufferers (had tests and scans, suspected but not confirmed because I didn't bother going back!) I feel addicted to all the bad carbs right now and I'm looking forward to having a break from them. My OH is being really supportive so that will help. Once I've lost enough weight I'll change to the south beach diet combined with 5:2 for maintenance. Starting monday! Eeek..

Good luck with it hun. Sb much easier than atkins ... my body doesn't like carbohydrate s.. they are a treat lol

Let us know how you're doing xxx

Good luck. I did Atkins but stopped due to protein overload being bad for my one ( failing) kidney. I lost loads on it tho at the time and it certainly gets rid of the bread, pasta, must have chips NOW cravings once you get past that stage of still being addicted. Even now I eat fairly low carb and feel better for it. xx

Thanks both! I'm really bad with updating my diary :/ I need to start using this site more, it always motivated me to stay on track before.

I did atkins for a week, well it was more LCHF. I felt GREAT on it. I didn't miss carbs and I was really excited about finding something that worked so well. Then came the gallbladder pains and constipation. I'm a total wuss & have enough health problems to deal with, so I came off it. Since then I've been trying and failing to get back into juddd - most days have been around 900-1000 with a few extreme ups thrown in at the weekend. I've recently realised that I'm mostly dieting all week, so I can drink like a fish at the weekend. I'm losing and gaining the same weight every single week. This has to stop!

I was only at a 2lb gain last friday, but this week its been my OH'S birthday and mine within 2 days of each other. I didn't resrict anything on my birthday. I had kfc for lunch, steak for dinner, cake, chocolate, wine, you get the idea :p. I was planning a middle day today, down tomorrow and up sunday, BUT I've just been told we're going on holiday next friday for a week as a birthday gift. It's all incusive (how am I meant to stay in control!?) right on the beach and probably full of skinny girls in bikinis. Most people would be over the moon, but I'm panicking. I've avoided the beach (other than back home in Devon) since my last beach holiday abroad 6 years ago! Most of my summer clothes are still in the UK so I'll have to buy everything new for the holiday. I've been looking online for decent 'swimdress' costumes, sarongs and cover ups - how depressing! I'm really trying to stop worrying so much and just enjoy it. I shouldn't be putting my life on hold until I get to a certain weight in the future. I've always seen getting back to a size 8 as the point I can start doing things again, beach holidays, meeting up with old friends etc, but I need to make the most of whats happening in my life right now, as a size 14.

After the holiday I'll be starting juddd again. It's the only plan in the past few years where I've lost weight every week or maintained. If anyone has any pre holiday dieting tips, please let me know! Although, I'm not sure much progress can be made in one week :/

I've been a total pig over the weekend. I'm on a down day today, tomorrow and thursday.

I've been shopping and sorting through some clothes for the holiday. I think this dress makes me look like I'm going to a medieval role playing event! :/ It's really comfortable, but I feel a bit paranoid in it, especially showing my legs. It's not the kind of thing I'd wear at my goal weight, but I'm all for trying to cover the wobbly bits right now! I'm sure hardly anyone reads my diary anymore, but if I look like I'm going to a fancy dress party, then please tell me! lol.

l dress.pngdress2.png

It's lovely adn you look fabulous in it. Don't worry there will be people on the beach much bigger than you who won't give two hoots about it all hanging out. Just enjoy yourself. :)x

Back