Confued about VLCD's

AnneUK

Hi, Its ages since I have popped in and am hoping some one can help me...

I was sucessful once before on a shake diet but after admission to hospital, never went through maintenence and 2 stone out of 4 has crept back on.

I was going to start Lighter life next week but my GP told me to look at Asda Measure up as it is similar and still classed as a VLCD

I have looked up on the internet the nutritional content of LL and used my Meaure up to compare... and it is quite similar....

The portion size of LL is stated as 37gms (on the strawberry shake) whereas it is 50gms on the MU so I worked out what a 37gms serving of the measure up would be fr comparrison....

LL 37gm serving
Calories 125
Sodium 0 mg
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated 1 g
Total Carbs 13 g Sugars 11 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Protein 13 g

Measure up 37gm
Cals 149.8
sodium 0.3 gms
total fat 3.1gms saturated fat 1.5gms
total carbs 17gms sugars 4.6gms fibre .7gms
protein 13gms

So from what I gather, the caloreis are 25 cals per meal higher on the measure up....

There is 0.3 gms salt per meal in MU which is not a lot at all...

very marginally more fat in measure up More total carbs in Measure up but less of the carbs in the Measure up are from sugar.

protein is same in both prducts....

Both are classed as a VLCD if used as total abstinance... and I cant see why the Measure up cant be used same as LL ??? I would use a multivit and mineral just to cover me in case the was a deficit in the measure up.....

Is there a huge flaw in my plan?

Its just money is very tight and of both are similar... then I would have to go cheaper! (i know LL has counselling.... but I am not worried about missing out on that t be truthful as I have had real counselling am confident in reasons for my poor eating habits... i just want to lose the VLCD to lose this weight in a way that suts me)

Thanks in advance x

Your GP is completely and utterly wrong in this. Asda Measure up IS NOT a VLCD, its not a TFR and should not be used as one.

It doesnt have the nutrients etc needed for a TFR, you wont get into ketosis with it and the losses are nowhere like that of a VLCD. Measure Up is like Slim fast, you have shakes and a meal a day. Please dont be tempted to try using it like LL etc. Im shocked your GP is saying this

If you cant afford LL what about Exante or Slim & Save, they work out about £25 a week

I agree with Starlight - when I looked at measure up about a month ago in response to a different post on here it said that it should be taken in combination with a meal. It doesn't contain the nutrients that you need. If you are looking for a heaper option than LL then the options Starlight has mentioned are good.

Asda themselves say you shouldn't do it...

Replace 2 regular meals per day with 2 or 3 Asda Measure Up meal replacements in addition to one nutritious meal and 1 or 2 healthy snacks. Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water per day. Asda Measure Up should not be used as a replacement to your whole diet.

See http://groceries.asda.com/asda-esto...14921923791&aisleid=1214921925065&startValue=

That doesn't mean that you couldn't lose on measure up - but it is not a VLCD so works in a different way to LL.

Thanks for that but I am still confused as looking at the ingredients... there is not a huge difference... maybe the need for better labelling? :(

Ok, so if a person were to take a good quality multivitamin and mineral per day ontop of what is in the Measure up, would that not take up the deficit?
Can i also ask how much daily carbs is too much for ketosis and does it matter if they are made up of sugar/ fibre?

Sorry i know loads of questions but I cant believe my GP would give me such bad info :(

No you cant just have a multi vitamin and do it like that. You have no way of knowing exactly whats missing from Measure Up. As in the quote posted Asda themselves actually specify that this is NOT a VLCD and its not a TFR.

You wouldnt be in ketosis, youd make yourself ill, and your weight loss will suffer because your body will go into starvation. The VLCD packs are so carefully manufactured to ensure we're getting absolutely everything we need. You cant just make one up yourself

Your doctor has no business giving information out about something he clearly has no idea about :mad: Hes risking peoples health!!

Anne - Would something like Slim and Save be affordable for you? It would be around £25 for a week's worth of food if you did the 4 packs a day option, which is very similar to LL in approach.

Thank you for helping me, I will look into this, but really do want a low carb option as ketosis is invaluable to me :0

Back