Confused about a recipe *updated with SW's take on it*

RM07

Silver Member
**my consultant spoke to SW and their take on it is that the whole cake is 41 syns and a 28g portion is 4.5 syns - still not bad for a yummy cake!**

Hi all

I'm about to go to my meeting and tonight it is bufet night. I'm making the chick pea cake and in the recipie thread (quoted at the bottom of this post) the poster has said it is about 0.5 syns for the whole cake but when I put the nutritional values into the syn calculator it comes up with this:

Untitled.jpg

hi thought i would add this one.
I think it is only about 1/2 sin per whole cake, on green. someone at my class last week bought one in as a taster but used almond extract and it was yum. Hard to believe it is made out of chick peas.

Chickpea Cake

chickpea-cake.jpg

Preparation Time: 15 mins

Cooking Time: 25 mins

Recipe makes 8 servings

89.2 calories per serving

Ingredients

250 g Chick Peas, Tinned, Organic, Tesco
5 g Vanilla Extract, Average or Almond extract
1 Tsp/2g Baking Powder, Average
3 Egg/168g Eggs, Medium, Average
100g Cheese, Quark, Average
25 g Sweetener, Granulated

Method

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees

1. Spray a 7 inch cake tin with fry light and leave to one side.

2. Drain the chick peas and rinse thoroughly with water.

3. Place the chick peas in a blender and blend until smooth then add the eggs and blend again.

4. Add the sweetener, vanilla extract and baking powder.

5. Blend again until mixed in.

6. Place the mixture in the tin and bake in the over for 20 mins or until it has risen and is firm to touch.

7. Take out the over and leave to cool.

Whilst the cake is cooling place one tub of quark in a bowl and add sweetener to taste then mix together.

Once the cake has cooled cut in half and add half the quark mixture and sandwich the 2 halves together.

Spread the remaining quark on top of the cake and add some fresh fruit for decoration.

Nutrition Data per serving

Calories (kcal)

Carbohydrate (g)

Protein (g)

Fat (g)

Fibre (g)

Alcohol (g)

Fruit & Veg

Last edited:
That's because the calculator is not allowing for any Free foods. I thought there was a question on it as to whether any of the ingredients are free but maybe it doesn't ask that.

Technically you should syn the chickpeas anyway becuause you're blending them so the 4.5 syns per portion would be correct.

If you blend chickpeas you have to syn them??? OMG I didn't realise that, but how come if you make your own hummus its still free (other than synning the oil)?

I don't know if hoummous is free if you make it yourself. I was always told you have to syn anything you blend because of portion control issues. Also apparently you have to syn the couscous in couscous cake because you are using it in lieu of flour.

It might be that different classes differ in this sort of advice of course and, if you're losing anyway, it's probably not an issue.

Thank you for the advice... sorry but I had to run to class so couldn't see or reply sooner! I told my consultant I wasn't sure how many syns were in it but I'm going to send her the recipe and she'll help me work it out.

But the cake went down a storm! Everyone loved it and couldn't believe it was made with chickpeas... and to be honest neither could I. It was bloody gorgeous!!

If you work it out on Green with the chickpeas as free food allowance a 50g serving is:

½ Syn per package/portion on Green

Looks good, would have a try but got no blender :sigh:

Thank you MsB - however I'm still getting 4.5 syns no matter what day :(

There are two schools of thought on this one.... the official SW line is that if chick peas/cous cous are used in a cake then they are not free. Reason being, when these things are eaten freely then are supposed to be eaten as part of a meal and not as a cake.

This is not my opinion, this is what my consultant told us.

In my opinion, if you don't eat tons and it doesn't affect your weight loss then I would have it. If you find it does affect your weight loss or you can't stop at a slice or two, then I would syn it.

When these things are eaten freely then are supposed to be eaten as part of a meal and not as a cake.

Cake is a meal surely?! ;);)

This is not my opinion, this is what my consultant told us.

In my opinion, if you don't eat tons and it doesn't affect your weight loss then I would have it. If you find it does affect your weight loss or you can't stop at a slice or two, then I would syn it.

I like this train of thought so 0.5 syns on green and 4.5 syns on red.

It is so yummy but I found it quite filling so 1/16 of it was fine (cut it up more so it would go round at class!)

Completely agree with you, I could live on cake and cake alone!! Ah, maybe I used to though and that's why I was so big!!!

Enjoy it. Another tip.... add a couple of tablespoons of lemon curd, extra syns but extra yummy!!

I lemon curded the quark last night and added a hint of vanilla to take the tang a notch down. Whacked it on top and it was divine!

Back