Confused.com!

The story to date:

Weighed 14.5 stone
Dropped calorie intake to 1300.
Exercising daily
The weight is dropping off!
I've lost a stone in 2 weeks but i'm confused in terms of nutrition.

This is working but...

I presumed (correct me if i'm wrong) that the sugar in my diet would be burned up during exercise as I am on a low calorie diet so they would be no surplus sugar to make me gain weight, if that makes sense?

Also if I don't meet my 1300 calorie intake, what is the lowest I can go. Some days I have done only a 1000 calories but don't want to push it...

Some nutritional advice would be great, thanks! xx

Hiya! The general rule is that a woman shouldn't go below 1,200 a day (1,500 for a man). 1,300 is a bit low if you're exercising and you may find that the weight loss will slow down or stop as your body goes into "starvation mode". If you Google TDEE/BMR you can find tools to calculate how many calories to eat based on your weight, age, gender and activity level. :) xx

I'm eating 1200 a day although some days it goes to 1400 and others drop to 850, I've heard not eating enough will hinder your weight loss, but feel if I don't want to or need to eat then why would I...plus if some days I go over then the low days make up for this...

I do find it difficult to limit my sweet foods so try not to really eat them although taking protein shakes in between meals to do the 'little and often' method to keep up metabolism and help with energy when in the gym.

Thank-you.
I worked out my BMR and used the Harris Benedict Equation to calculate my calories and it equated to 1000!
I though that seemed low so I went to 1200/1300 instead.

I have been snacking on frozen grapes (love these!) to keep metabolism running.

As I am counting calories do I need to count Sugar as well as my calorie intake?

Thank-you.
I worked out my BMR and used the Harris Benedict Equation to calculate my calories and it equated to 1000!
I though that seemed low so I went to 1200/1300 instead.

I have been snacking on frozen grapes (love these!) to keep metabolism running.

As I am counting calories do I need to count Sugar as well as my calorie intake?

Well I just worked out that to have even a bmr if 1000 I would have to weigh the same as my 4 month old! So I'd recalculate that if I were you. If your struggling post your stats (or message me)- weight / height / age - and I'll work it out for you.

As for what you need to count - it is entirely up to you how strictly you want to moniter your calories. But to calorie count "properly" you have to account for everything that passes ypur lips be it sugar or fruit or veggies even drinks/mints/gum.

Good luck and let us know if you need any further help x

Thank-you dexter mummy. My BMR came up as 1709.7 but after doing the Harris Benedict equation and X it by 1.55 I got = 2650.03. I read some where that you take 15-20% off your daily calorie intake, to find how many calories you should be eating. So that's why it left me slightly confused. Think I will stick with the 1200/1300 as it seems the logical way to go. I have literally only been counting my calories, not sugar etc. Although I must say I have cut most of it out, have been drinking water and munching grapes for 2 weeks now! but I will start logging it all the same. Thank-you :D

honey-bees said:
Thank-you dexter mummy. My BMR came up as 1709.7 but after doing the Harris Benedict equation and X it by 1.55 I got = 2650.03. I read some where that you take 15-20% off your daily calorie intake, to find how many calories you should be eating. So that's why it left me slightly confused. Think I will stick with the 1200/1300 as it seems the logical way to go. I have literally only been counting my calories, not sugar etc. Although I must say I have cut most of it out, have been drinking water and munching grapes for 2 weeks now! but I will start logging it all the same. Thank-you :D

That would give you 2,120 a day, so I think you've set yours a bit on the low side if you're doing a lot of exercise. :) xx

The story to date:

Weighed 14.5 stone
Dropped calorie intake to 1300.
Exercising daily
The weight is dropping off!
I've lost a stone in 2 weeks but i'm confused in terms of nutrition.

This is working but...

I presumed (correct me if i'm wrong) that the sugar in my diet would be burned up during exercise as I am on a low calorie diet so they would be no surplus sugar to make me gain weight, if that makes sense?

Also if I don't meet my 1300 calorie intake, what is the lowest I can go. Some days I have done only a 1000 calories but don't want to push it...

Some nutritional advice would be great, thanks! xx

1300 seems quite logical... :) Perfectly fine! Different things work for different people. I am starting now on 1300-1400 x i csnt seem to make myself go to the GYM so i will be investing in my own excercise bike! I Have started counting calories and watching my calorie and fat allowance only.
Good Luck x

Back