converting lbs to stones??

nettie

Gold Member
hi there... so maths isn't my strong point so can someone help please?
when converting lbs to stones do you just divide the number in lbs by 14 as there are 14lbs in a stone?
Sorry to be so thick... i'm easily confused when it comes to numbers! x

I've used a converter but it doesn't make sense...
so today I just weighed myself (its not weigh in day) and the scales say 232.8lbs.... that divided by 14= 16 stone 6lbs
however, when using a converter online it says that 232.8lbs= 16 stone 8.8 lbs
I'm so confused!

but that cant be right because last week I was 231lbs and that's 16 stone 7lbs... 16 stone is 224lbs + 7lbs totals 231lbs
so that means going off todays weight I would have put on 1.8lbs so I should be 16 stone 8.8 lbs. I really don't need to know how to work it out as I can use the converter but I like to know how to work things out myself... I am too reliant on computers and systems lol x

Doing a straight division by lbs can be confusing. 232\14 is as you say 16.6 but that's not 6lbs. For instance 16.5 isn't 16 stone 5 it's 16 and a half stones ie 16 stone 7

232lbs is 16 stones 8lbs
16 x 14 = 224lbs
224+ 8 = 232

I find it easiest to get the lbs to the nearest stones and add on the lbs over - if that makes sense

Last edited:
I also use starlight's method. You can divide the pounds by 14 to get the number of whole stones, then work out how many pounds that is. After that, any remaining pounds are the pounds left over. Wow that sounded complicated...it made sense to me at the time!

Thanks so much ladies, I thought I was going slightly mad. All makes sense now.... all that and I don't have to work it out today as I STS! lol x

Can't you just change the scales to read in stone and lbs, that way you wouldn't need to work it out (v.lazy..but much easier!)

I have done that now, I just like to understand the maths behind it. Its the same with percentages, I like to be able to know how to do the maths even though I can just use a formula on a spread sheet or % calculator. I'm a bit of a geek that way lol x

Lol, I get you...but I'm still too lazy! Ha ha, I don't like converting it to lbs anyway, it sounds like so much more! X

Back