1. You can now easily put an SW award in your signature/posts like a smilie. Just look for the SW award tab after you tap on the smilie face.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking with coconut milk

Discussion in 'Slimming World Recipes' started by jodierobin, 15 May 2014 Social URL.

1. jodierobin

jodierobin Member

Hi! I want to do a Thai curry for my partner and I! I have a recipe that I've always used but it's got a full tin if coconut milk in. I planned to cook everything in the milk then when I serve mine up ill drain the milk off the chicken and veg so in effect I'll have no sauce. How would I syn this do you think as I won't be having the sauce but it'll be cooked in sauce!?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. lentil2

lentil2 Well-Known Member

ummm, I'm not sure to be honest as there is bound to be a little that escapes!

Why don't you either just have it and syn it or use a half fat coconut milk if you want to keep the syns minimal?

4. cpb353

cpb353 Member

Evening.

You could try Tesco 'Free Form' Coconut Milk. It is a dairy alternative to milk and is about the same thickness. Strange stuff - it tastes a little bit like Whole milk but you can have 400ml as a HeA :). There is an ever so slight coconutty aftertaste and it not unpleasant at all (I use it on my weetabix and Shredded Wheat and it is fine).

I use it to make a grate Thai Red Curry from Slimming Eats - Thai Red Beef Curry | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes (All credit to britmumincanada for a brill recipe, as always).

It is obviously not as thick or creamy as 'normal' coconut milk and Im not saying it tastes like it but it is a great substitute.

5. Willbeslimjen

Willbeslimjen Well-Known Member

The blue dragon light coconut milk is 14.5 syns a tin. So depending how many the recipe serves it won't be to bad

6. llewis

llewis Well-Known Member

I make a lot of Thai curries & I've managed to adapt them quite well. I cook all the ingredients in stock & just before serving stir in weight watchers Greek style coconut yogurt instead of any coconut milk. It's the strongest tasting coconut yogurt I've found & less of an artificial taste compared to others. I find it works well & hubby hasn't noticed the difference. Each pot only has 1syn so reduces syn value dramatically

7. beslim2014

beslim2014 Well-Known Member

I like llewis adapt my Thai curries using either the muller Greek coconut yoghurt or I use natural yoghurt with coconut flavouring