Coping with stress

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by Rachel L, 6 March 2008 Social URL.

1. Rachel L

Rachel L Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st6lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    1st4lb(8.91%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    Like many of you here, when i get stressed i comfort eat and drink. I have had a particuarly bad week and have had more calories than i should. I have managed to stick to 2000 calories a day or less but was wondering, what are other peoples stratergies for coping with stress. I know i have a problem with comfort eating yet i go back to it each time things get tough.
    Any advice much appreciated! :eek:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Nessa

Nessa Silver Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I am the same as you rachel, i comfort eat so badly it's untrue. The thing is i know i shouldn't but at the time it makes me feel better and then afterwards i always regret doing it iykwim, however these feelings still don't stop me from comfort eating when i am stressed or down. I just don't know how to stop myself from comfort eating as that's all I know. It just makes me feel better at the time.

4. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    I think you need to break the pattern.

Whenever I felt myself reaching for food for any reason other than hunger, I had to stop and question. In fact, I learnt to question just for a moment everytime I reached for food.
    If you aren't hungry, ask yourself what you think is really going on, then just 'sit' with it for a while.

Breath slowly and remind yourself that food isn't the answer. It will only bring temporary relief, then find something else to do. Have a chat with a partner, go for a walk, have a bath.

I do think it's important to just stop and pause, rather than just rush off.

Sometimes it's not possible to replace emptiness with something active, or a bath or whatever, and learning to pause is a really useful technique :)

5. paris192

paris192 Full Member

Walking is a great way to destress, even if its only for 10 minutes. Throw on the ipod and out into the fresh air ..... u will feel better once u come back.

Lock up the biscuits and crisps !!!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.