Coping with stress

Rachel L

Like many of you here, when i get stressed i comfort eat and drink. I have had a particuarly bad week and have had more calories than i should. I have managed to stick to 2000 calories a day or less but was wondering, what are other peoples stratergies for coping with stress. I know i have a problem with comfort eating yet i go back to it each time things get tough.
Any advice much appreciated! :eek:

I am the same as you rachel, i comfort eat so badly it's untrue. The thing is i know i shouldn't but at the time it makes me feel better and then afterwards i always regret doing it iykwim, however these feelings still don't stop me from comfort eating when i am stressed or down. I just don't know how to stop myself from comfort eating as that's all I know. It just makes me feel better at the time.

I think you need to break the pattern.

Whenever I felt myself reaching for food for any reason other than hunger, I had to stop and question. In fact, I learnt to question just for a moment everytime I reached for food.
If you aren't hungry, ask yourself what you think is really going on, then just 'sit' with it for a while.

Breath slowly and remind yourself that food isn't the answer. It will only bring temporary relief, then find something else to do. Have a chat with a partner, go for a walk, have a bath.

I do think it's important to just stop and pause, rather than just rush off.

Sometimes it's not possible to replace emptiness with something active, or a bath or whatever, and learning to pause is a really useful technique :)

Walking is a great way to destress, even if its only for 10 minutes. Throw on the ipod and out into the fresh air ..... u will feel better once u come back.

Lock up the biscuits and crisps !!!

Back