Coping with trips away

shelz

Silver Member
I am going away for a couple of days tomorrow. I havent really been away while being on such a new lifestyle as now. Do any of you have any tips or tricks to staying on plan and on target while being away that could help?

What with summer fast approaching I thought this could be a beneficial topic to a lot of people.

depends where you're going but if you're staying in a hotel make the most of the pool etc. but if not then plan some walks round the city or town. google maps is great for this. i love early morning walks in a new city just to get the feel of it. if you walk enough you wont feel guilty bout not sticking to your plan. it'll be waiting for you when you get back anyway:)

Not been away for ages never mind whilst dieting. But I reckon if you're staying in a hotel, make use of the breakfast. They usually have a good selection of cereals and wholemeal bread and of course yoghurts and loads of fresh fruit. Fill up on as much of this as possible, so at least when you are out and about at lunch time, you won't be so hungry and will choose the more sensible option.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Enjoy.

xx

Well I managed just fine. Had an amazing few days away, that has lead to an amazing weekend too! There was one day - Thursday - that I didnt get time to do my DVD, but I did do an awful lot of walking while we were away. Up and down stairs, from station to station. I really really enjoyed the whole London experience. Lets hope the scales enjoy them too. =)

Shelz-Glad you enjoyed yourself :) How was the show? Let us know about your weigh in x

Absolutely fantastic! It was amazing. They performed there old stuff as well as new stuff. Had a brilliant support act, which prompted me to purchase their album. The venue was stunning, such and ora about it. Completely different atmosphere when it was full - so many tiers, was brilliant. Worth every penny.

I enjoyed London too. I'd never been before so it was a all a new experience. We stayed near London City Airport. Saw the Thames Barrier, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Houses of Parliment. Went on the London Eye, went to Tussauds, went to the 5 storey toy shop (OMG!), saw piccadilli circus and Leicester Square.

We did well considering we were only there for one evening! It was such a learning curve and now I cant wait to return at the end of May. Am going to see the Black Eye Peas with Cheryl Cole as special guest. (Thats my next goal date!).

As for food, we pretty much ate on the go and I was very good - if not a little too good as I didnt eat very much. Still was an amazing day and the scales did see the benefits. The only down fall was I didnt get chance to workout on the Thursday due to being back late.

=) Was amazed.

Shelz, it sounds an amazing time you had. I've not been round london proper for such a long time. I keep promising my daughter that during a school hols we'll do the london eye and visit a few museums etc. She's excited about it.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about not having done the dvd, the amount of walking you did, I'm sure you burned loads of calories!

Keep motivated and keep good.

xx

Shelz-sounds brilliant! You got lots done then in your short time there. See, you had nothing to worry about diet wise :) A little break never hurt anyone x

That's completely understandable. We all deal with it differently. Glad it was all ok tho x

I'm going on a driving holiday in June, around the States for two weeks. It is going to be fabulous but very difficult to eat well. It is America after all. I'm going to try and enjoy myself food wise but I'm going to exercise a lot when I can. Although we'll be in a car for 2-6 hours a day the rest of time will be spent walking and exploring.

Hopefully I won't go completely off track!
x

Oh my Jettica, good luck with that! Last time I went to the States I did find it difficult to eat right (was a vegetarian at the time). Although it depends where, the most difficult I found it was in Florida, but New York, San Fran, Vegas were all easily manageable.

Have fun, sounds epic!

We are going all over including to some places in the mountains to the south. I don't think it'll be so easy to eat healthily there as we sort of eat what we are given for breakfasts and things. Now, are pancakes and maple syrup healthy?

I'll probably eat terribly but make sure I do some exercise so it isn't too bad. I want to be a sensible weight by the time I go anyway.

sounds amazing, thats my dream holiday!! to hire a 70's mustang and cruise round america. which side are you going to the appalachians or the rockies? sounds absolutely amazing i'm so jealous:) don't worry bout dieting you can pick up where you left off:)

The one piece of advice I would give is to always take the healthy option. If in a difficult situation or scenario that is what I do. Even if the healthiest is bad you know it isnt as bad as the worst you could have chosen. You wouldnt have the guilt of knowing your picked the worst when there was something better for you there.

i agree but depends on what the healthy option is i suppose:) its not often you get to road trip around america so i say its only 2 weeks try and leave the diet behind, well don't but don't be too focused on it.

saying that i think you will enjoy the holiday more if you make the healthy options, there won't be any guilt as shelz says. good luck with it:)

I think you should try and choose whenever poss the healthy option...however having said that, how often do you have pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast - never I assume. So when in Rome as they say....just remember the diet will always be here when you get back as will we...It's a trip of a lifetime. Don't think to much about the food. And just think, if you hadn't already lost weight before you go, you'd be even fatter...so you'll still be thinner, coz you're starting of thinner...does that make sense? Hope you know what I mean, coz can't explain that thought any better?!

Just enjoy
xx

Im off for a weeks beach holiday week after next. Planning to have the week pretty much off the diet, but lots of walking and swimming and avoid the normal holiday fry ups. Hoping dont put on too much weight but even if i do its one week a year!!! Gonna make the most of it.

Back