Cruising for Eternity

I probably use less than a tablespoon of fromage frais for the galette.

Yoghurt - probably about 100-150g each serving, and I have this 2 or 3 times a day.

Milk has probably been my real downfall before :eek: I drink milk like some people drink alcohol, haha!
But, since I restarted the attack phase I have been having only a small glass at breakfast and one later on - less than a pint?

I also have odd helpings of cottage cheese with meals too.

Still probably too much, I thought I was doing good cutting right down on the fruit yoghurts, too!

I probably use less than a tablespoon of fromage frais for the galette.

Yoghurt - probably about 100-150g each serving, and I have this 2 or 3 times a day.

Milk has probably been my real downfall before :eek: I drink milk like some people drink alcohol, haha!
But, since I restarted the attack phase I have been having only a small glass at breakfast and one later on - less than a pint?

I also have odd helpings of cottage cheese with meals too.

Still probably too much, I thought I was doing good cutting right down on the fruit yoghurts, too!

Way way way too much... did you know that milk, as a drink, is limited to 250ml? (or did the English book forget that?)

And all dairy together at 800ml - 1 litre maximum, and lots of us found 500ml caused a stall even?

I'm sure dairy does hinder weightloss, the last few pounds were very, very slow in going for me and I never lost huge amounts anyway apart from the first week (which included 3 days attack).

I didn't stick to the 250 ml for milk (not too much over though) and had either yogurt or fromage blanc twice a day sweetened and extra in cooking. I usually had about 800 gr of dairy per day, sometimes nearer the kilo.:eek: Actually, I don't know why I'm saying this in past tense as it's still true now (although I have some cheese in there and try and have less on PP/PV days).

So, if you're in a hurry, cut the dairy, if not - you'll still get there (like me) but more slowly.

As an aside, I didn't use too many tolerated items despite not stalling (no huge losses, but always a loss - despite weekend invites) but you could try cutting them down/out if you use them.

To be honest I didn't really pay particular attention to the amount - just the type of dairy allowed.

The people I started the diet with annihilated pints and pints of dairy every day and didn't stall once - I think I naively assumed that what worked for them would work for me!

I'll try to cut it out as much as possible to see if that helps.

In the mean time I have since decided that the George Foreman Fat Reducing Grill is my new best friend :D

On attack the dairy isnt limited and so some go a bit nuts at the start, but still lose as the overall change to diet is so drastic.

Its worth remembering the carbs in dairy - if you're getting hungry its likely they are keeping you out of ketosis and so making it harder for you.

If you can switch one of those yogurt snacks for something meaty/fishy you might get better results, but given your weight and height you might not.

I love my GFs too...

I would agree - it's definitely worth cutting back as much as you can on the dairy and see if that helps. I think a 2/2 PP/PV ratio might work well for you too. I tend to do a mixture of 1 and 2 days at a time, as it depends on whether I've got leftovers for lunch and that works well for me. It's not always strictly an even number but I'm sure it is about even overall!

Going with the no dairy thing for a couple of days to see how it goes, plus trying two PP/PV.

Yesterday:

Breakfast: Oatbran Galette made with one tsp Fromage Frais
Lunch: Mexican Style Grilled Chicken
Dinner: Mexican Chicken and Prawns... and a Steak Burger
Snack: An interesting egg-white-powder meringue... more like a crispy marshmallow!

Drinks: Just water and Dr. Pepper Zero.

Exercise: 30 minutes mini stepper plus a brief run. Followed by an evening walking around Tesco, trying to avoid the Betty Crocker brownie cake mix on offer :D

Yesterday: Still sticking with no dairy. Pounding headache all day!

Breakfast: Oatbran Galette - just 1tsp fromage frais!
Snack: Meringuey-marshmallows... let's just call it sweetened egg white!
Lunch: Grilled Chicken
Dinner: Thai Chicken and King Prawns
Snack: Oatbran Galette

Exercise: Walked into town and back today, so a good couple of miles.

So I finally weighed myself today: 1lb less than last week! I am now back to the weight I was before Christmas, before I was ill. Only a tiny loss but a decent one.

Doing PV now. Spent the day so far cooking, baking homemade pizza bread - not for me, for my husband.

Have to resist the excuse of trying what I cook to make sure it tastes OK :D

Yesterday:

Crazy how amazing vegetables taste after doing PP - yesterday's PV was like a celebration day alone!

Breakfast: Galette
Lunch: King Prawn and Carrot Salad
Dinner: Grilled Chicken with Roast Swede and Leek with Spinach
Snack: Galette with Meringue

Exercise: Mini Stepper and a little aerobics.

I have to say I ate so so much yesterday. I spent the day cooking all sorts of food I can't eat (garlic butter, fresh pizza dough, honey glazed, chicken, butterscotch sauce, crepes) so I decided I better cook for myself whilst cooking all the other stuff - so if I was tempted I'd have something of my own to snack on, so I nibbled fairly continuously on the prepared vegetables!

I give myself an extra point for avouiding the butterscotch sauce :D

god yeah the butterscotch sauce would of done me !!!

Made the most of the PV yesterday!

Lunch: Salad
Dinner: Managed a Dukan 3 course meal! Vegetable Soup, Roast Sirloin joint w/ Vegetables and Meringue Galette
Snack: Sirloin calling my name...

Exercise: Mini Stepper plus a little yoga. Trying to find the time to manage a full session.

Maintaining still today - however TOM has decided to come along and probably throw me off balance this week :(

Teeth are aching since I cut out the dairy!

Would love a hot vanilla milk - wondering if it's worth reintroducing it at the moment though, or wait it out since I've come this far :confused:

I know we talked about cutting DOWN on dairy as you were over a litre sometimes, but cutting it out is quite extreme for your calcium intake... I'd have some if I were you! perhaps try 500ml a day?

I must sound like an idiot :eek:
I didn't think for a second about my calcium intake, purely the fat and carb and sugar content! Thanks for reminding me there's a good reason I've always had a lot of dairy!

However, it's been nice to see some results after being used to such slow losses.

I'll finish the PP day without it and reintroduce a little tomorrow.

Yesterday:

Lunch: Grilled Turkey
Dinner: Thai Chicken Soup
Snack: Can't let the sirloin go to waste!
Snack: Galette wih meringue

Exercise: MiniStepper again, back onto crunches.

You're not an idiot at all, BE... just that I remember Robin reminding us about osteoporosis risk etc.

It's good to change something when your weight hits a plateau.

(I was next going to suggest monitoring your usage of those Schwartz spices in case you're overusing them cos they have carbs in! For instance, the Chinese 5 spice for a 7.5g serving - I've NO idea if this is tonnes incidentally - has 4g carbs and 1g fat!) and I wondered whether some days when you use it at lunch and dinner... just waffling here cos I'm probably talking rubbish!

Must check those spices out though! How much does one need to flavour a typical 150g portion of meat?

Thanks for your response :) It always seems like you put a lot of consideration into your posts, I appreciate your comments.

Hmmm... trying to work out what portion size I have. I probably have a 3/4lb - 1lb of whichever meat, for dinner.
For that I guess a couple of teaspoons or less, say 4.0g, depending on the flavour.

I tend to pick certain blends, typically:

Chargrill
Chargrilled Chicken | Ingredients, Nutritional Information & Usage Ideas | Schwartz
Thai
http://www.schwartz.co.uk/productdetail.cfm?ID=5203
Italian
http://www.schwartz.co.uk/productdetail.cfm?ID=5182

All of which I think (I hope) are fairly reasonable-ish according to the values. Some of the blends are way higher, but I avoid those.
The Chinese 5 Spice is I think the highest (and lists sugar as it's main ingredient) but I don't use that anyway because it's nasty :p

I'd very rarely use them twice a day though, my lunches are infrequent anyway, due to my schedule, and usually light.

I weighed myself today, I never do midweek weighs, but was surprised that I have lost another pound after two monster PV days and the 1 PP. Surprised that the dairy seems to have made such a difference.

Finished my second PP today, back on PV tomorrow - thinking of braving a Muller Light Toffee, already thinking that might be too adventurous!

I'm making a note of those for when I'm next over. Thank you!

(I thought the toffee Muller rather "nasty", although I think most like them! The Mullers are rather humungous too! Perhaps half one?!!

Really glad to have helped with the plateau. Nothing worse to make all the effort, and see no result, and that's when often people lose the plot.

Thanks for your kind words!

I didn't realise that about the Chinese 5 Spice Powder. I've only used it once whilst on Dukan, but was completely unaware about the sugar. I thought it was only spices such as star anise. It goes to show that you really need to check the labels on everything! :-O

Back