Dave's diary - back on plan, back on Minimins

Ah, very good point lol. I'll work out how to unsecret them :)

Today so far has gone exactly to plan - had my usual Weetabix brekky, and usual chicken tikka/pasta lunch at work. After work I went out for a 6 mile run, had a banana as a treat. Total syns for the day - 2.

I'm off to Pizza Hut soon. I've found 5 meals of varying syns between 6 and 21 and will have the lowest syn one I like the look of that they have. I've gotta avoid starters which will be easy, but avoiding side orders and their scrummy hot cookie dough dessert will be very hard. I've no choice though if I want even a small chance of any kind of loss on the scales this week, especially due to what I am up to tomorrow and Sunday.

I have my Jedi mindset ready .. and will use the force!

ttfn ♥

Hi Dave

How did WI go? Hope it was a loss for you. You really are doing so well :clap:

xxxx

Ah, very good point lol. I'll work out how to unsecret them :)

Today so far has gone exactly to plan - had my usual Weetabix brekky, and usual chicken tikka/pasta lunch at work. After work I went out for a 6 mile run, had a banana as a treat. Total syns for the day - 2.

I'm off to Pizza Hut soon. I've found 5 meals of varying syns between 6 and 21 and will have the lowest syn one I like the look of that they have. I've gotta avoid starters which will be easy, but avoiding side orders and their scrummy hot cookie dough dessert will be very hard. I've no choice though if I want even a small chance of any kind of loss on the scales this week, especially due to what I am up to tomorrow and Sunday.

I have my Jedi mindset ready .. and will use the force!

ttfn ♥

Hi Dave, hope the last few days have gone well for you! Did you manage to avoid the hot cookie dough dessert?! After I read that the other day I was drooling and I couldn't get the thought of it out of my head!! Luckily the next morning I had pulled myself together!!!X

Hi all, thanks for the continued support it really is appreciated :grouphugg:

I give myself 8/10 for my efforts over that weekend ...

The Friday at Pizza Hut went VERY well! Unfortunately the Pizza Hut listings in my syn book didn't match the menu that their website had, so I had to use the nutritional data on their site and the syn calculator on the SW website to work out my best options. Took flipping ages! But I came out with several options varying in syns that I could have at the restaurant, including:

alfredo pollo - 6 syns
arrabiata chicken - 8.5 syns
tagliatelle alla carbonara - 15.5 syns
penne al pollo mazzarella - 19 syns
lasagna al forno - 21 syns

I had used only 2 syns prior to that on the day so had 13 syns to play with, so if I couldn't have one of the lower options I would have to flexisyn - but that's fine and much better than just coming off plan in a place like that!

On arrival I checked their menu, and spoke to one of the waitresses to see if everything was available. That's when I got the hump:cry:

It would seem that they have YET ANOTHER menu, one which isn't even online yet!! So I was stranded in Pizza Hut and all my planning had been wasted.

Or so I thought ... on closer inspection one of the meals I had worked out syn values for had remained on their new menu - the penne al pollo mozzarella. So that's what I had :D

OK so it took me over my syns for the day, but it was by far the best option available to me.

I avoided a starter despite EVERYONE else there having one, and also avoided a dessert of ANY kind (of course, the 6 nearest people around me ALL had the cookie dough GRRRRR). I won't pretend that I particularly enjoyed missing out nor being the only one to not have starter or dessert but I felt very proud of myself for having done so.

I had only Pepsi Max while there, and when we got back to the pub afterward I stuck to diet coke.

All in all, a SUPERB night's work!!

The following day we had a dinner party at a friend's house. This time I didn't have the luxury of a menu to choose from as such nor or being able to work out the syns. Plus I would be drinking that night.

I had a mushroom soup for starter (later to find out it was made with double cream!!) and then chicken filled with Philly and garlic/herbs wrapped with Parma ham and served with vegetables. It could have been a lot worse.

Then it got worse ...

MUCH worse ...

Out came the desserts. I had planned on going without, but in a moment of weakness I helped myself to a large piece of roulade ... and then another piece ... and then another! I dunno what came over me. OK so it was heavenly but that is no excuse.

I also drank that night, but as planned stuck to shorts, Morgan's spiced rum with diet coke topped right up so they lasted longer.

Not my finest hour that night, and it's a shame because I didn't need any dessert let alone 3 large helpings of it!!

Moving on swiftly though ...

on the Sunday we went to my aunt's for her 40th birthday - an all day buffet :hide:

There was A LOT of food, very little of it associated with staying on plan.

I decided to have chilli with rice. I have no idea how many syns would have been in it (the rice, none of course) but it seemed the safest option. There was a lot of veg in the chilli, and even though it wasn't likely to be extra lean beef mince used it was far better for me on EE than any of the other options there. I ended up having two portions, but other than brekky (HEa and HEb) prior to going there I didn't have anything else the whole day so I may not be able to account exact for my syns that day I imagine I was withing my daily amount, and I certainly managed to avoid eating loads of tasty but naughty things.

Overall I'm quite pleased with how it went, and certainly the Friday and Sunday could have easily ended up proverbial train wrecks so very happy :D

I continued to jog or visit the gym most days too throughout the week.

All my efforts paid off as Tuesday I lost 2.5lb!!

Tuesday night I decided I was due a treat ... and ended up going again back to my old bingeing ways - OMG I ate so much crap :sigh:

Of course, the scales miss nothing and the following day I was 2lb heavier on the scales at home. It is now Saturday and despite being on plan and exercising (including a 33 mile bike ride Thursday!!) I am still heavier than I was last Tuesday morning.

I used to be able to have a Tuesday treat and any weight gained would just come right off the next couple of days but as I get closer and closer to target every pound is getting harder and harder to drop. I either need to stop my treat nights entirely or scale them back to normal human amounts and stop being such a goddam piggy!

At the time of writing this I am still 1lb heavier than the morning of my last weigh in, but I still have the best part of 4 days to go so gonna stick to plan 100%, and make sure I get plenty of exercise in too.

My usual run takes me on a 6 mile course, but with the marathon being only 2 months away now I really need to start pushing myself further and getting used to running further. With that in mind after work today (yep I'm writing this while at work hehe) I'm going to attempt my usual running twice. I intend to get round it once at my usual pace, then just carry on as long as I can running. If need be I will then drop to a walk then jog/walk/jog/etc as necessary to get round it. I reckon if I do that every other day I should be able to jog it entirely within a week or two. That will still only be 12 miles (only? lol) and the marathon is over double that, so I will then need to add another lap and finally another at some point. One step at a time though eh?

I'll be back again soon with another update, I hope you're all in the zone and managing to stay focused and enjoying watching those pesky pounds fall off.

TTFN ♥

Hi all, thanks for the continued support it really is appreciated :grouphugg:

I give myself 8/10 for my efforts over that weekend ...

The Friday at Pizza Hut went VERY well! Unfortunately the Pizza Hut listings in my syn book didn't match the menu that their website had, so I had to use the nutritional data on their site and the syn calculator on the SW website to work out my best options. Took flipping ages! But I came out with several options varying in syns that I could have at the restaurant, including:

alfredo pollo - 6 syns
arrabiata chicken - 8.5 syns
tagliatelle alla carbonara - 15.5 syns
penne al pollo mazzarella - 19 syns
lasagna al forno - 21 syns

I had used only 2 syns prior to that on the day so had 13 syns to play with, so if I couldn't have one of the lower options I would have to flexisyn - but that's fine and much better than just coming off plan in a place like that!

On arrival I checked their menu, and spoke to one of the waitresses to see if everything was available. That's when I got the hump:cry:

It would seem that they have YET ANOTHER menu, one which isn't even online yet!! So I was stranded in Pizza Hut and all my planning had been wasted.

Or so I thought ... on closer inspection one of the meals I had worked out syn values for had remained on their new menu - the penne al pollo mozzarella. So that's what I had :D

OK so it took me over my syns for the day, but it was by far the best option available to me.

I avoided a starter despite EVERYONE else there having one, and also avoided a dessert of ANY kind (of course, the 6 nearest people around me ALL had the cookie dough GRRRRR). I won't pretend that I particularly enjoyed missing out nor being the only one to not have starter or dessert but I felt very proud of myself for having done so.

I had only Pepsi Max while there, and when we got back to the pub afterward I stuck to diet coke.

All in all, a SUPERB night's work!!

The following day we had a dinner party at a friend's house. This time I didn't have the luxury of a menu to choose from as such nor or being able to work out the syns. Plus I would be drinking that night.

I had a mushroom soup for starter (later to find out it was made with double cream!!) and then chicken filled with Philly and garlic/herbs wrapped with Parma ham and served with vegetables. It could have been a lot worse.

Then it got worse ...

MUCH worse ...

Out came the desserts. I had planned on going without, but in a moment of weakness I helped myself to a large piece of roulade ... and then another piece ... and then another! I dunno what came over me. OK so it was heavenly but that is no excuse.

I also drank that night, but as planned stuck to shorts, Morgan's spiced rum with diet coke topped right up so they lasted longer.

Not my finest hour that night, and it's a shame because I didn't need any dessert let alone 3 large helpings of it!!

Moving on swiftly though ...

on the Sunday we went to my aunt's for her 40th birthday - an all day buffet :hide:

There was A LOT of food, very little of it associated with staying on plan.

I decided to have chilli with rice. I have no idea how many syns would have been in it (the rice, none of course) but it seemed the safest option. There was a lot of veg in the chilli, and even though it wasn't likely to be extra lean beef mince used it was far better for me on EE than any of the other options there. I ended up having two portions, but other than brekky (HEa and HEb) prior to going there I didn't have anything else the whole day so I may not be able to account exact for my syns that day I imagine I was withing my daily amount, and I certainly managed to avoid eating loads of tasty but naughty things.

Overall I'm quite pleased with how it went, and certainly the Friday and Sunday could have easily ended up proverbial train wrecks so very happy :D

I continued to jog or visit the gym most days too throughout the week.

All my efforts paid off as Tuesday I lost 2.5lb!!

Tuesday night I decided I was due a treat ... and ended up going again back to my old bingeing ways - OMG I ate so much crap :sigh:

Of course, the scales miss nothing and the following day I was 2lb heavier on the scales at home. It is now Saturday and despite being on plan and exercising (including a 33 mile bike ride Thursday!!) I am still heavier than I was last Tuesday morning.

I used to be able to have a Tuesday treat and any weight gained would just come right off the next couple of days but as I get closer and closer to target every pound is getting harder and harder to drop. I either need to stop my treat nights entirely or scale them back to normal human amounts and stop being such a goddam piggy!

At the time of writing this I am still 1lb heavier than the morning of my last weigh in, but I still have the best part of 4 days to go so gonna stick to plan 100%, and make sure I get plenty of exercise in too.

My usual run takes me on a 6 mile course, but with the marathon being only 2 months away now I really need to start pushing myself further and getting used to running further. With that in mind after work today (yep I'm writing this while at work hehe) I'm going to attempt my usual running twice. I intend to get round it once at my usual pace, then just carry on as long as I can running. If need be I will then drop to a walk then jog/walk/jog/etc as necessary to get round it. I reckon if I do that every other day I should be able to jog it entirely within a week or two. That will still only be 12 miles (only? lol) and the marathon is over double that, so I will then need to add another lap and finally another at some point. One step at a time though eh?

I'll be back again soon with another update, I hope you're all in the zone and managing to stay focused and enjoying watching those pesky pounds fall off.

TTFN ♥

Hi Dave, well you had an awful lot going on so I think you've coped with it all incredibly well!! You shouldn't beat yourself up about roulade-gate! After all you'd exercised so much self control, particularly in Pizza Hut, and then at the party on Sunday! You forfitted the hot cookie dough pudding in PH which must have been VERY hard to do, so there had to be some treat to look forward to! I'm sure you'll still have a loss next week- as you said you had 4 days left to work on it and with all the exercise you do I'm sure you already have it in the bag!!X

Thanks funcurls, actually I did have a gain Tuesday night! I had chinese Monday night which despite being on plan always bloats me out and affects me on the scales - albeit temporarily. Then Tuesday because I was working nights (19:18-04:45) I had to have my dinner about half hour prior to weighing in - and a big plate of pasta that close to weigh in isn't good lol. If it weren't for dinner I think I would have STS so I'm not worried.

Well, not about that.

But I have bigger problems at the moment ...

I'm off work sick, I have injured my back and am having considerable problems with what seems to be my sciatic nerve. I'm in lots of pain, can't sit down at all, so I'm having to stand/walk or just lay down. It's very frustrating I can tell you Grrrr.

This happened Thursday and I'm not much better now despite being on 'painkillers' and resting up.

The timing couldn't have been worse. Two months to the London Marathon, a week at Centerparcs coming up in less than 2 weeks, etc.

Had to make a very hard decision to pull out of the marathon. It could well be that I am indeed fit again to run by then but with two months to go this is a very important time for my training - of which I can do none at all. Plus, if I wait til nearer the time then pull out it doesn't give my replacement much warning or time to train. Am gutted but I feel it is the right thing to do.

I've already cancelled a golf society day I had lined up for Friday, and am close to starting to cancel pre-booked activities at Centerparcs too.

I don't even know how I'm getting to Centerparcs! If I still can't sit down the day we travel then I'll have to go by train - as I can stand the whole way - and just put up with a short car journey when I get there. It doesn't bode well for a good holiday though.

And the weekend we get back is the weekend of the Couple of the Year competition! More travelling!!

I guess there is no good time to get problems like this but this is probably worse timing that most.

So far I have managed to stick to plan 100%, but it is VERY tempting to console myself in a couple of packs of cookies and crap. Gonna have to try harder than ever to stick to plan as I can't even exercise to burn extra calories off.

So frustrated :(

Oh dave that sucks I feel your pain (literally as i am suffering with the same thing) Mine is not as severe as yours all the time but have had back pain since beg Jan with severe not being able to sit pain about once a week for the last month. Fortunately each not being able to sit episode only lasts 24 to 48 hours. I have had 2 different diagnosis from the doctors 1) just general back strain 2) strained ham strings (which i don't get at all as have not been able to run for 6 weeks but yesterdays doc was convinced this was it)

I went to a private physio/sports massage guy and he diagnosed it as my pelvis being out of alignment which was sometimes pressing on a sciatic nerve which makes much more sense and gave me a sports massage AND used ultrasound and an adjustment. Really improved things for me until on his recommendation i attempted a 1/4 mile run and then back to square one. So I am now off running for the foreseeable future and also not allowed to swim or cross train or bike. So I am left with walking! I have another appointment with sports physio this week and i am on the NHS waiting list for physio (as can't afford any more private sessions)

A long post but just to let you know i know how you feel and to suggest if you can find one a trip to a good sports physio mine was 34 pounds for an hour but if that can get you back to being able to go to center parcs etc may be worth the money.

Well done on staying OP I have not done so well in that department :-(

Take care and hope the pain soon passes.

Teresa

Oh Teresa I'm so sorry to hear you are in the same boat I totally sympathise. I have had a sports physio recommended to me and intend to see if they can help on payday. Sadly payday is the Friday at the end of my holiday! I might see if I can borrow the money and get in before the holiday though. My back initially went years ago doing tug of war but it then settled down until a few years ago when it went BIGTIME while I was at work. I saw an osteopath a few times after that and whatever he did certainly helped me. He told me I had a twisted pelvis, so I wonder if our injuries/problems are even more similar than at first glance. I have taken on board what you said though about trying a short run when it's feeling better again and I think I might just knock all running on the head forever! Seems extreme but there are plenty of ways I can exercise, and if I can avoid things I know will set this off again then that surely makes sense. NO WAY do I want to go through this again.

Hope you're on the mend soon, and get your physio date soon as well x

Dave another tip that has helped me this last week is to have a heating pad on your back almost constantly. I got one from lloyds pharmacy for about a fiver and it is a gel pack that you microwave and i rewarm it every hour or so and between that and regular ibuprofen i have had 3 days of a lot less pain. A hot water bottle would probably do the same thing.

Good luck for a speedy recovery

Thanks for the tip Teresa I will look into it, though I have already been using a hot water bottle (much to the wife's disgust as if I have it she can't lol).

No change here for me better or worse. I have my physio booked for Thursday morning and I'm hoping that makes a big difference, especially as I am meant to be going on holiday Monday!

I've had 3 nights off plan bingeing like an idiot, think I've just gotten fed up being stuck as I am in and with the pain and discomfort and it was to make me feel better. Which of course it didn't. Have refocused myself properly from today. It's ironic that something like this 'drives' us to eat naughties, when in fact it is even more important to stick to plan as I can't exercise and aren't even getting the normal walking that I would normally have if not injured.

Bring on the physio!

Sorry Dave about the problems your having! I know how horrible these things are- living with pain puts everything on hold and its hard to see life positively- it drains you and then you feel even more drained taking pain killers! Those heat pads are excellent, and so is TENS, have you considered that? XxX

Hi all

I've been off work for a month now with my back and leg problems. I've had several physio sessions and several appointments with doctors and they all seem to have a different idea of what is wrong. The good news is I have an MRI booked for the 22nd, and hopefully that will point to what is wrong, and from there we will know whether or not it is fixable.

It's been a very boring, uncomfortable and frustrating month.

And unfortunately I have let these problems take me off plan. Totally. I haven't been on plan for even one day (until yesterday). I hadn't been to a SW meeting for a month either. Of course, I haven't done any exercise at all either.

The other day I switched the telly off and when the screen went black I saw my reflection, and I noticed how much fatter my face was looking. It really woke me up to what I was doing to myself. I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and pull myself together again.

It is unfortunate that I cannot exercise at all, but it just means that sticking to plan is even more important than ever. So I went along to my group Tuesday for a kick up the backside. Which I duly got. I gained 9lb which actually I thought was pretty good all things considered.

So now I am back on plan properly. This is day 3. I've been doing green days, not really sure why to be honest, but I started off on green days back in September 2009 when I first joined and really enjoyed them. I will pick between green and EE on a daily basis depending on what I am doing and what I fancy eating.

Ironically when I went to group Tuesday and gained 9lb I was also awarded with The Greatest Loser award! Second year running too!

So that is me right now, I'm not in a good place at all in many ways, but I have stopped that spreading to my eating habits.

Happy St Patrick's Day :)

ttfn

Sorry phone making me do funny things! 9lb isn't too bad at all, its the situation you're in that's the frustrating one, we're all human- so think many of us would do the same- so well done for having your lightbulb moment and addressing it before it becomes a mountain to climb ! You can do this ! X

Dave sorry your still suffering hope they can help you soon. I went to a NHS physio yesterday and got yet another diagnosis (4th one) things have been improving on their own but this diagnosis actually seems to fit more and it is apparently quite difficult to diagnose but is quite common in runners.

So a little hopeful at the moment.

I bet you can get that 9 pounds off in a week or two.

Teresa

Hi all, sorry for another long break between posts!

I'm still struggling with my back/leg problems, but I do finally have a diagnosis!! Got my MRI results back a couple of days ago, it shows I have a large tear in one of my discs, and the one below it is prolapsed. I've been off work for over 7 weeks now, and have been signed off for all of April. Waiting to hear from the specialist but it looks like I will need an operation to put it right.

Of course, I haven't done any kind of training in all this time and my fitness will have completely left me :(

I again let my problems get to me and I came off plan big time. And I got some strange results on the scales! The week after my 9lb gain I lost 8.5lb, then gained 8.5lb, then this week again lost 8.5lb!! Bit of a yoyoer me lol

This last week though is the first time in a very long time that I have felt back in the zone again. And I am still there now. So next week I plan to put the gain/lose 8.5lb pattern behind me and have another loss.

Nothing I can about my back until I see the specialist so no sense in worrying about it. I also think my job is safe, so I feel quite stress free at the moment, and long may it last lol.

Haven't really got any more to update as I've done nothing every day except be bored!!

Teresa I hope you have been as lucky as me and found out what is wrong, and of course that it is fixable.

All the best everyone x

Hi Dave hun, lovely to see you here again! I miss your motivational and informative posts!! Sorry to hear about your back- must be so frustrating and debilitating (and as you say BORING), not to mention painful!! Do you enjoy reading? I've had an Amazon Kindle for my Birthday last week! I am totally in love with it!!

How bizarre that your losses/gains have been so matching!! But great to see that they have balanced out and that you are no heavier in those weeks despite your lack of activity and everything you're going through! Well done on that! You sound determined to crack this and get those regular losses going again and I'm sure you will!! XXX

Dave so good to hear from you.

Sorry to hear that it may mean an op.

I am still about the same although the physio claims i am getting better .... (she is not the one who can't bend over to take her shoes off some days) I have been trying swimming a lot this week but think it may have made things worse so for the next week I am doing nothing but my piriformis exercises. :-(

Next friday is my last physio session if the doctor doesn't recommend another 4 .

The good news for me is they do not think it is disc related.

I know how hard it is to stay OP while going through this, i find ibuprofen make sme retain water as well . So keep your chin up and try the best you can.

Teresa

Back