Dave's diary - back on plan, back on Minimins

Never in the field of one man's exercise regime, was one banana, owed so heavily, to one man! :D

I've just finished my time on the Wii fit, and my reward banana too!

Instead of my usual 30min jog I decided to mix things up a little this evening. I started with the advanced step (my favourite of all the exercises as it is the closest I can get to having rhythm lol), went from there to the 3 minute hula hoop (doesn't sound much, but BOY does it hurt!), back to the advanced step, then onto the advanced boxing (which incorporates a little step), third time on the advanced step, then did the half hour free step (while I watched beginning of Ricky Gervais' Politics) and finished with a twenty minute free jog (finishing Politics!). I've had a quick soak and I feel so refreshed! Total Wii fit time this evening 1h22m :D

As an aside, my little bronze piggy matured into a shiny silver one for exceeding the 20 hour total Wii fit time (only Wii fitters would understand that lol)

Dinner was delicious, and the kids love it too so I can see it becoming a staple for us.

I can see most weeks containing the same 4 or 5 meals along with hopefully a few 'guest dinners' we try from the recipe books and SW website.

I'm off work again tomorrow, my friend Marie is coming over for lunch and to drop something off for my youngest's birthday Wednesday. If it stays dry I hope to have a long ride tomorrow afternoon.

But for now, it's bedtime. Goodnight all :)

Last edited:
Hi all, hope you're enjoying your weekends :)

Marie came over earlier and had lunch with us, which was a very satisfying salad. We even got her to try some beetroot which she thought she didn't like. She was right of course, but it's always good to try these things lol.

I've got today's exercise out the way nice and early, just back from an 8.62 mile cycle :character00201:

Cycling is obviously a very solitary activity, just me the traffic and today The Beatles :D. But while I was riding I got thinking about previous attempts to lose weight. Most started as well as this, all lasted a little longer, but all failed. I'm not yet at the stage where I would normally fail.

I've decided to collate all my old weights/dates here on my diary so I have them together to refer to should I want to (currently they are all over the place!). If you are reading this particular thread, now might be a good time to scroll to the end :bolt:

26 July 2003 : 18stone 0lbs
(my wedding day, the lowest on record I have been. The following day I was heavier and I have never been that 'light' again since. My wedding ring ONLY fitted for my wedding day :sigh:)

28 May 2007 : 23st 5lb
4 June 2007 : 23st 0.25lb
11 June 2007 : 22st 10.5lb
18 June 2007 : 22st 6.25lb
25 June 2007 : 22st 2lb
2 July 2007 : 22st 0.25lb
9 July 2007 : 21st 10.5lb
16 July 2007 : 21st 10.25lb
23 July 2007 : 21st 6.5lb
30 July 2007 : 21st 8.5lb
6 Aug 2007 : 21 st 8.75lb
13 Aug 2007 : 21st 10.25lb
20 Aug 2007 : 22st 0.25lb
27 Aug 2007 : 21st 7.5lb
3 Sept 2007 : 21st 5.5lb
10 Sept 2007 : 21st 1.75lb
17 Sept 2007 : 20st 13.75lb
24 Sept 2007 : 20st 8.75lb
1 Oct 2007 : 20st 6.5lb
8 Oct 2007 : 20st 5lb
15 Oct 2007 : 20st 5lb
22 Oct 2007 : 20st 8.5lb
29 Oct 2007 : 21st 1.25lb
5 Nov 2007 : 21st 6lb

29 Dec 2008 : 24st 13lb

26 Jan 2009 : 24st 8lb

9 Feb 2009 : 24st 11lb
16 Feb 2009 : 24st 4lb
23 Feb 2009 : 24st 5lb
2 Mar 2009 : 24st 0lb
11 Mar 2009 : 23st 11lb

30 Mar 2009 : 23st 4lb

27 April 2009 : 22st 11lb

22 June 2009 : 22st 11.5lb

15 Sept 2009 : Joined my local Slimming World group :D:D - weighed in at 24st 0lbs (evening weighs from here on in)

19 Sept 2009 : actually started on SW diet

22 Sept 2009 : 23st 8.5lb
29 Sept 2009 : 23st 3lb

I am trying to set myself some targets, my main one is of course to get to my 'goal weight' which I just guesstimated using the BMI chart (14 stone), but tbh I am more going for a 'feeling' or 'look' than a weight. But anyways that is sooooo far off right now it doesn't matter!

In the meanwhile, I want smaller goals, ones that I can get my teeth into :D

I guess they will be the milestone weights:
into the 22 stones, 21 stones, 20 stones, 19 stones, 18 stones, 17 stones, 16 stones, 15 stones, 14 stones.

These will also tie in nicely with my stone loss awards from SW as I started bang on 24st!

I also have club 10 which is set at 21st 8lb. The things I will do for a sticker :gimi:

20st 5lb would be a milestone for me as it's the lowest I ever got myself by dieting and exercising.

My next weigh in is in two days (feels like it takes soooooo long coming around each week haha). If I can lose 3lbs then I will pick up my 1stone loss award which would be fab. If not, then it will surely be the following week. I've been weighing at home and I don't seem to have had much of a difference in weight terms this week, but my clothes all fit much better (and some are getting loose) so I know it is ALL GOOD!

Anyway, just in case anyone still is reading, I'll go now in case I am boring you to death haha.

Back later, take care :)

soemtimes its good to look back Dave, helps us to move forward-your wedding anniversary is the day before ours by the way !! As you say you know from the past that you can loose weight, but this time its gonna have longeivty. I'm sure the extra incentive of getting that wedding ring on again will boost you along the way. Maybe one of these days i will have the guts to try my frock on, but since the last time i started SW was when i came back from my honeymoon i am fairly sure it will still fit, thing i maybe even a bit less than then, but it would be lovely if it swamped me!!

Hi mommyb!

Yeah I agree that the past is useful in teaching us lessons for the future. I wish I could say for sure what had caused me to fall of the wagon on the times it has happened. I wish I could bottle the positivity, focus, drive and determination I have right now for use later on when I need it. The only thing I can really learn from my previous weigh ins is how bad I can let myself down when I come off diets and how quick I can put on weight. I am a classic yo-yo dieter!

The biggest problem though is that my yo-yo never goes as low as it has previously, and always seems to go up higher than ever each time is ascends!!

I am focusing on what is different this time:
> I am actually a SW member, going to the weigh ins. It is quite costly, and a real pain in the backside workwise too lol, but I hope the thought of putting on at a weigh in in front of all those ladies is going to help me stick to plan!
> Minimins :) This forum is great, full of great people, and basically an extension to the meetings
> from December, I will be working from my home town. For years I have been travelling to/from work taking anywhere from 60 to 120 minutes per day. This travelling time will soon become 'my own' and basically extend my personal day so I should always have time for cycling/Wii fit/hopefully swimming one day with no excuses
> I am keeping this diary. I have done this before, but with only me and one other having access. She was also in the same boat, trying to lose weight and get fit. I had hoped we would spur each other along, and carry each other when times got hard. Of course, we actually brought each other down in the end lol. This time there are far more people involved, and if a couple of us do come slightly off the rails, there are LOADS of others all doing well to drag us back to right again :)

I used to smoke. I smoked anywhere from 15-30 fags per day depending on what I was up to. I 'quit' smoking about a dozen times. Each time I kinda knew deep inside I would smoke again, and of course each time I did. I haven't smoked for about 4 years now, and I feel great for it. When I finally did give up, I KNEW I had given up. I have no idea what was actually different this time, but I just FELT as though I no longer wanted to smoke, and that I wouldn't. I have never looked back.

The only reason I say this, is that I have also dieted loads of times, and each time I kinda felt like it wouldn't work, that I would come off it eventually, and of course each time I did. THIS diet feels different. It feels permanent, like it's going to work. It's the same feeling I had when I stopped smoking! And of course with SW I really can eat as much as I want lol, there is always something you can have if you are hungry, unlike certain other diets.

Onto things of a less serious nature lol, dinner was SW recipe chicken curry and it was delicious!! Definitely one we would have again another day.

The boys will be going to bed soon, and we have some more episodes of The Shield to watch, and I have a Mullerlight yoghurt, apple and banana to keep me company while I do it :)

My wife, and indeed my friend Marie weighs in tomorrow, so good luck to them and anyone else facing the scales! Sadly, I have to wait until Tuesday evening, but that's probably a good thing seeing as I don't think I've lost anything yet this week!!

Night all :hug99:

coincidentally Dave i have had the ex smoker conversation with someone else on here today,being one myself,once you have given up cigarettes are so much easier to avoid than food-cant live without it. So i think being an ex overweight person is a bit like an alcoholic, but instead of a drink-just one biccie could push us over the edge,its something we will always be aware of and can never take our eyes off the ball. I have for a long time defined myself as someone with a weight problem, a dieter, and think in the past i have failed because once that was gone who would i be. Now i know i will be a slim person and my raison d'etre will be to stay that way.

I will be looking out for the chicken curry recipe-was it in the magazine or on here ?

Good luck to your wife and freind, and of course to yourself for tuesday

- once you have given up cigarettes are so much easier to avoid than food - cant live without it. So i think being an ex overweight person is a bit like an alcoholic, but instead of a drink-just one biccie could push us over the edge,its something we will always be aware of and can never take our eyes off the ball. I have for a long time defined myself as someone with a weight problem, a dieter, and think in the past i have failed because once that was gone who would i be. Now i know i will be a slim person and my raison d'etre will be to stay that way.

I couldn't agree more :D:D

As for the chicken curry ...

Serves 4;
Syns per serving: free on green* / red / EE
*Add 6 Syns if not enjoying chicken as a HEb!

Cooking time: 30 minutes
Preparation & cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes plus marinating time

Ingredients:
4 x 113g/4oz chicken breasts (skinned and boned)
284ml/½ pint very low fat natural yogurt
2 tsp turmeric
3 garlic cloves (crushed)
2 large onions (sliced)
426ml/¾ pint chicken stock made with Bovril
3 cardamom pods
1 x 2½cm/1in piece cinnamon stick
4 black peppercorns
4 cloves
1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
1 tbsp finely chopped root ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chilli powder
salt and ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves

Instructions:
1. Slice the chicken and place in a bowl. Mix together the yogurt, turmeric and garlic and pour over the chicken. Cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator or a cool place for at least 4 hours (or overnight).

2. Put the onion and chicken stock in a large, heavy saucepan. Cover the pan, bring to the boil and then boil for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat, uncover the pan and cook gently for 20 minutes, until the onion is tender, golden and syrupy.

3. Add all the spices to the pan, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add the chicken and the yogurt marinade. Cover the pan and simmer very gently over low heat for 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked.

4. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately with boiled rice (Free on Green or 2 Syns per 28g/1oz on Original), and sprinkled with fresh coriander.

note: we missed out on the
cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, black peppercorns!!

:eat::eat::eat:

Dave, I can see you're in contemplative mood and maybe worrying that this diet may still end up going the way of other diets. Personally I don't think that is going to happen. You're enjoying the food you are having...LOVING it in fact and you are organised enough to plan ahead. I have total confidence in you that you are going to succeed in a big way and you are right in that you have loads of people supporting you this time.

Mommyb: thanks for the good wishes. I will post my weight loss tomorrow. I'm still having fun with experimenting with some foods and trying others. As Dave said, he nagged me into trying beetroot and it was yuk!!! He thought I'd never tried it before but I must have had it chopped up in a bought salad or something...I just know I can't stand it and the way it discolours a salad lol.

Yesterday I was at a friend's house and discovered she was also doing SW. Well that was it...out came the recipe books and we had a quick flick through some of them! She also gave me some butternut squash soup to try (syn free) which was pretty fab...quite creamy but a little peppery for me. She said to use less cayenne pepper when I try to make it. Definitely one to experiment with I think :D

Dave how spicy was that curry? I'm a mild person, as you know - korma being my favourite, and tikka masala about the strongest I like!!

LOL marie, i love beetroot but also hate the way it colours everything so i have to put it in a little side dish-guess we all have our funny little ways ( dont ask my hubby about eggs and tomato together!!) . BNS soup is lovely, i make it with Bns and the long point sweet red peppers, and just a few chilli flakes-gorgeous.

Sorry to hijack your diary there Dave

Morning ladies :)

Rie, thanks for the vote of confidence. I too feel confident about this diet, but then I have felt confident in the early stages of all my previous diets too so I lack confidence in my confidence :) It's far too early for me to worry anyway, and things are going far too well for me to start thinking negatively!

The curry had a twang, but I wouldn't have said it was spicy at all. Taylor enjoyed it. And Charlie had a mouthful and enjoyed it too. As you're the cook you can decide how spicy you make it anyway! Alison can't stand chillis yet still put the chilli powder in as per the recipe and you couldn't even taste it. Yum!

mommyb, putting the beetroot in a separate bowl is a great idea! I always eat it before anything else so that it doesn't make everything purple lol. Very tasty though.

As for hijacking my diary, you carry on! I loved waking up with something to read :)

The weather seems to have taken a turn, which is a bit of a pain! I am at work tomorrow at silly o'clock (06.00), meaning I have to get up at sillier o'clock, which of course means I have to go to bed very early this evening. It's very hard to go to bed so early especially for the first early turn but you have to make the effort - not hard to see why a train driver NEEDS a good sleep haha.

With going to bed so early, means I can't use the Wii this evening (everyone else will be up still!). So I planned to go for a ride. Well, the thing is, it's wet out, and, well, I, don't like riding in the rain!

I am very much a fair weather rider. I got caught in a couple of downpours years ago, and it put me off cycling altogether, which isn't something I want to happen again.

So long as it isn't actually raining, I will go for it after lunch. The wet floor isn't a problem. But if it does rain this afternoon I will just give it a miss, and try to squeeze a ride in after work tomorrow before weigh in.

Lunch today is gonna be another big filling salad (with beetroot of course) and dinner is spaghetti bolognese :eat:

Have a great day, and good luck with your weigh in Marie :)

Afternoon Dave and everyone else :)

Weather's absolutely awful isn't it. That really does mess up your cycling. If you won't do wii fit while everyone else is around what else could you do since with Winter approaching chances are you won't get out as much anyway. I guess it's only on early turns that there is a problem.

The curry sounded nice. I was looking at the SW website last night and found some gorgeous dishes I'd like to make, one of them being pasta pie and another quiche-like dish. Of course having a broken cooker doesn't help at all lol.

I'm on a red day today, gotta love those best :)

Mommyb: eggs and tomatoes to me don't go together well at all when I think in sandwich terms, but on a salad is fine. Does your hubby not even like them on the same plate?

Does anyone else keep a food diary on the SW site. I'm trying to remember to add my thoughts on the journal bit so that I can look back on it as time passes. I showed mine to Dave yesterday, who hijacked the journal bit and wrote about how wonderful he was haha!

Rie, you are right about the weather, and of course Autumn/Winter being bad for cycling generally. Other than the Wii, I haven't really got any other exercise ideas. One day I can add swimming into the mix, but not yet.

It's not the end of the world though, as you say it only affects me badly on early turn (every other week), and even then only on the days where I am at work the following day. NOT cycling/Wii fitting for a few days isn't gonna do me any harm anyhow, it just won't do me any good. So nothing lost, but nothing particularly gained for those few odd days. Nothing for me to worry about.

i barely excercise Dave , which i know is bad, i used to but got out of the habit, and just as we were saying some habits are hard to break, some are even harder to get going at again!!

Anyway the purpose of my visit is to say thank you for mentiioning Gammon last week, and planting the seed in my mind. I have just had what can only be described as a slab of gammon for my lunch and it was spanking gorgeous!!-what are we having next week?

LMAO, a 'slab' of gammon :D

I was the same, when I read about Dave having gammon I had to go out and buy some. I didn't think it would be filling enough but I enjoyed it.

I try and get my exercise done in the morning. If I miss the morning slot it just doesn't feel right at any other time of day lol. I really don't mind who is watching, anyone walking by would probably collapse in a fit of giggles if they saw me trying to do the yoga 'tree pose' or my feeble attempts to try and touch my toes...last attempt they were 2 miles away from my fingers, but I'm getting there :D

My sons often laugh at me (not in a cruel way of course) or tell me I'm not getting the pose right on the wii fit but I point out that at my size it's impossible to get my right leg 'THAT' high...I swear if I managed it I'd probably end up stuck in that position and carted off for emergency treatment!

let me know when you are ready then Dave. I have to admit that i thought there were two slices in the pack, was amazed when i openned it and it was one thick one-cooked toperfection if i do say so myself.

In a no way boasting kind of way i am quite good at the yoga,having the benefit o having done it when i was younger and much more supple but i was pleasantly surprised how much has stayed with me. The stepping however....well it would seem i have little or no corordination. Will stick to my cross stitch-you'd be surprised how many cals you can burn threading a needle!!

Cross stitch would certainly get the fingers fully fit, could even develop little biceps on them :D

Went along to my meeting tonight and won Slimmer of the Week. Really was amazed and thrilled to have lost 6.5lb this week. Got my half stone sticker which was wonderful and also got to choose from a selection of fridge magnets which have quotes on them.

I chose 'Seek inspiration and inspire others along the way'. Got loads of fruit and noodles, hifi bars, alpen lights as my reward. I chose the fridge magnet because the people on here inspire me :)

Went along to my meeting tonight and won Slimmer of the Week. Really was amazed and thrilled to have lost 6.5lb this week. Got my half stone sticker which was wonderful and also got to choose from a selection of fridge magnets which have quotes on them.

:superwoman: :clap: :clap: :happy036: :happy096: :bliss: :wow: :scale: :girlpower: :giggle: :0clapper: :winner: :party0038:

Darn it, ran out of emoticons :D:D

awwww, you really keep me going you know...

I have everything crossed for you for tomorrow. Can't wait to hear how you get on xx

Back