Dave's diary - back on plan, back on Minimins

Hi all, been quite a busy weekend!

Friday I went up to the gym for the spin class, but because I was aching so much while I was riding the few miles from the station to the gym I decided to cancel the spin class, and just do a set in the gym instead. If cycling my bike was hard, spin would have been impossible, and I don't wanna overdo anything nor push myself so hard I get injured. I managed to do half hour on the treadmill (up from 6 mins, then 12 mins on previous journeys) and also managed to do 5 minutes (sounds lame, but up from 3 then 4 minutes) on the rowing machine. Also did a bit on the cross trainer and also the summit climber. And a couple of sets on the back exercising weight machines too.

Friday afternoon, I collected my new bike WOOHOO!! It is so sexy it is unreal lol. I also bought some SPD shoes (special shoes that have a 'cleat' in the bottom which physically attaches you to the special pedals) and a few extra bits like a pump and bottle holder. I still haven't been out on it yet as I need to work out how to adjust my cleats on my shoes!

Saturday morning I did what I said I wasn't going to do, and that is buy myself some clothes! We were given 40% off vouchers for Peacocks, and decided that was too good an opportunity to pass up. Got myself a new jacket, which even I think I look good in lol, some new sports tops, shorts and joggers.

Then in the afternoon I popped out to a sports shop to get some running trainers. I have been using my badminton trainers in the gym and they have no bounce to them, very stiff sole, so not good for cardio exercises one bit. Also picked up a luminous yellow jacket for riding in. Spent a bomb, but had a windfall payday this month so wanted to make sure I had something to remember it by!

Yesterday I had dinner at my dad and stepmum's house. We had roast chicken with all the trimmings. Was conned into going though on the promise that the potatoes would be done in frylight, but lo and behold they weren't, Grrr. It was lovely to go over there and see them, great food, but wish they wouldn't do that. On the one hand they comment on how good I am looking now, but then they do something like that and it did wind me up! Other than some of the chicken which I shared with my eldest, I did eat it all, and it was delicious of course. Luckily I had gone there with 13 syns to spare so I reckon I was pretty much on target still there or thereabouts.

Weightwise, I'm not sure what will happen tomorrow night as I am still surprised I got a STS last week, but I reckon I should show a loss of a few pounds. At home this morning I was 18 stone ¼lb, which is only ¼lb higher than I was when I got married, and other than goal weight is the last target I set myself at the start! Didn't really expect to get this far so didn't think any further ahead lol. Need to come up with some more mini-goals. Also, it is 1¼lbs away from me having lost 7 stone since I started!! Tomorrow though I need to lose 2lb from last week's, in order to pick up my 5½ stone award, which I feel I should do.

I'm working until 1920 tomorrow night, and WI is usually at 1830, so I am having to go to the later one which starts at 2000. But add to that I have to go to a Union meeting which begins at 1930, it is turning into a ridiculously busy night! Will go there and leave early so I can get to WI. Don't want to miss it if I don't have to.

I am about to go swimming, haven't been for ages. Planning the same tomorrow morning. Hoping to get back up the gym Thursday. Badminton booked for Friday afternoon after work. But before both of those, I am very much looking forward to going mountain bike trail riding in Bedgebury on Wednesday. I don't remember ever being so busy!!

Hope you are all having a good time with it, and the lbs are falling off, good luck with your WIs this week ♥

Went swimming earlier, as per plan, but the clock in there wasn't working! Seems an odd thing to mention, but I have always timed my stays using the clock, half hour, then I go. So today I decided to count my lengths instead - all front crawl - and I got to 32 (decided before I started, not sure why lol). No idea how long it took but I reckon counting the lengths is a better judge anyway, and I will continue to do that.

I am swimming again tomorrow, and will go for 40, as 32 was no problem.

WI tomorrow night, and I have spent the whole day planning on how best to deal with it. I am working til 1920, meeting from 1930, and I've got to be at WI by 2030!! Logistics nightmare, but with help from the wife and a friend of mine I reckon I have dotted the i's and crossed the t's :)

Thanks Teresa :)

I did 40 lengths this morning, again felt like I could have carried on fitness-wise but tbh it was getting quite boring. And my timing was awful, as yet again there were schools in and the lane swimming was reduced to just one lane which is a very tight squeeze going by people.

Hard to say how I think my WI will go tonight, partially as I was wrong last week anyway, and partially also as I would normally play badminton and do a bit of cycling between my morning WI and my actual WI which today I cannot as I am working all day, then going to a meeting. I am 3¾lb lighter than last Tuesday morning, so I guess that is the maximum I might lose, but also I would usually stop eating and drinking after lunch on a WI day which I can't do today so who knows what will happen. As is always the case, any loss will do me just nicely. I am much fitter than I have ever been , and all this extra exercise has I think slowed down my weight loss a little, but done wonders for my actual health.

Until later ... ttfn

WI went superbly for me this evening ...

I lost 5½lbs, taking me past my 5½ stones award and awarding me SOTW. I also collected the "Greatest Loser 2010" award which is apparently something done each year. I got a little plaque and a bottle of wine too. And to cap it all, I also won on the raffle :)

I had an indian for dinner tonight, and it was LUSH with a capital L U and S! OMG it was so delicious. Got it from the place we used to get them from, definitely the best place in the universe lol.

Back on plan of course from tomorrow. I am really looking forward to going to Bedgebury. Not at all concerned about my fitness as I have no doubt it will be more than up to the job of riding round trails all day. My concern is injury! I don't have any injuries right now, and I am hoping to keep it that way lol. I have never really been off roading on a mountain bike before properly so I need to remind myself that as I go throwing my bike into things neither it nor I are ready for! Gonna be fun though, for sure.

Will be back mid afternoon as I have parents evening for both my boys, then I think a relaxing evening in front of the box is called for!

I'm off work Thursday too, will be shopping probably in the morning, then may venture up to the gym in the afternoon. Will be the first time i use the new bike so will have to get my cleats on my shoes properly fitted and adjusted, else will have to take the mountain bike. Which after tomorrow may not be up for much else until I have been able to maintain it!

Hope you're all in the zone, in full possession of your mojos, and most of all - happy :)

Good luck with your weigh ins for this week ♥

hey Dave well done on the 5 and a half pounds, you've passed me now;) Congrats on being the greatest loser, i picked up that award tonight too ( don't like the title tho, I'm no loser:) )
You are truly Mr Exercise Fan now, good on you! You deserve that Indian , have a good week.

Sounds like you have such an exciting exercise plan, bet you feel so refreshed!

Keep up the good work and congratulations on BL award.

Hi all, and thanks for your lovely comments :)

I went as Bedgebury as planned Wednesday, and I'm glad to say the weather held out and it stayed dry. It's an amazing place, over 10km long the single track. I started off quite sheepish but got into the swing of it quickly enough and built up my speed and confidence as I went along. My mate has been there loads and loads and is a real off-road mountain biking fanatic, so it was great to have his guidance in negotiating the trickier parts - I did loads of things I would never have dreamed of doing any other time! I surprised myself with my fitness too - there are two uphills that my mate has never been able to get to the top of cycling, and he doesn't even try it now just pushes his bike up them - they are very steep, and with it being so wet underfoot they were very boggy too, but I did both of them on the bike. He was astounded apparently he had never seen anyone ride up them before! What I lacked in ability and riding technique I made up for with power and fitness. I really enjoyed the day, and can't wait to go back there again soon. Mind you, it took longer cleaning my bike after the event than it actually took to get round the full course Grrr.

Thursday morning we did our weekly shop, and then I had planned maybe a gym trip in the afternoon, but I ended up spending hours cleaning my bike off instead from the previous day's fun. A day off from exercise wasn't gonna do me any harm though. Mind you, I must have burned off some calories with all the scrubbing lol.

Yesterday I worked in the morning (up at 04.00, yuk!), then played badminton in the afternoon. Quite a group of people turned up, including a very good friend of mine who is a good player and had been winding me up about kicking my butt around the court for a long time. So I doubly enjoyed beating him 4-1 :) May even send him a link to my diary so he can read of my jubilation muhahaha ;) Then my friend Neil who is a great player did the usual thing and whooped me 2-0 and by then I was shattered lol. Ended up cycling part of the way home, only a few miles but it all counts, then hopped on the train and home to my spaghetti carbonara dinner!

I have my brother and sister-in-law (to be, one day) round for dinner tonight, and we're treating them to an indian. It's partly their easter present, and partly as a congratulations for both of them being accepted into their university of choice. And partly just an excuse for me to have another delicious indian :) Mainly the latter, if I am honest haha. I'm not gonna go mad, but I am glad I won't be weighing in this Tuesday!!

I'm hoping to get up to the gym after work today for another workout, but I may end up swimming depending on time.

I go back onto lates at work from tomorrow, so any exercise I want to do needs to be done in the mornings, but I can't get up too early due to not even finishing work until after 01.00 most of the nights. Makes it quite restrictive and I doubt I will get up the gym, instead probably swimming and/or cycling depending on weather.

I still haven't been out on my new bike yet, I need to get my SPD shoes (cycling shoes, they have a 'cleat' in the bottom which attaches to special pedals) adjusted for the right fit. May need to get back down the bike shop to do it, but what I really need is time! And every time I do get the time, I end up in the gym or swimming lol. I need to make some time!

Friday will be a pretty bad day for me so I need to make extra effort up to then. Friday is Cheltenham Gold Cup day and I will be spending the day in the pub with my colleagues and friends from my previous depot, as has become a bit of a tradition. I will definitely be drinking, but will stick to to the vodka/diet cokes as they are marginally better than pints of lager. Brekky will be normal, as will dinner as I'm not expecting to to be home late, but lunch? Who knows :)

Hope you all have a great weekend, and are better at sticking to plan than I am haha ♥

I distinctly recall writing in my last log that I wasn't going to go mad yesterday ... seems I was miles off the mark!

The day started well enough, with my favourite Weetabix breakfast, then we had decided to have some of our favourite cookies after the indian (make the most of an evening off plan), and as we had guests coming over I bought extra ones so we had plenty to go around - I bought four packs (5 in each). I guess by now alarm bells should have been ringing, but I was still blissfully unaware of how weak I was in the company of those oat and raisin temptations.

Fast forward less than an hour or so, and I was already ploughing through one of the packs. Within another hour I had eaten THREE packs!! That's fifteen cookies. There's no denying they are gorgeous but I felt like I could have just carried on and on and on all day and the only thing preventing me from eating the fourth pack was that my wife beat me to them!

Then, and I really can't rationalise the reason for it, we decided that we ought to go and get a baguette and a freshly cooked chicken and make some big rolls for lunch. This in itself wouldn't have been SO bad except that I had already had my lunch. And the cookies. And by now wasn't hungry, but something inside me lusted for more naughty food, so off we went to Morrissons, picked up 2 baguettes and a hot chicken - AND a cooked sausage thing too as they looked good, came home, and scoffed the lot.

In the evening of course we had our indian and it went down so easily, it was delicious of course and the company was great, but the only reason I stopped eating was because I was shattered and went up to bed.

I used to be like that, every day. Just eating on impulse, any rubbish I fancied. In fact, I am still pretty much like that any time I am not dieting. I don't seem to have any kind of internal regulation switch, or moderation gauge that tells me when enough is enough. I need the structure of Slimming World around me to prevent me from just pigging out all the time.

I have looked back over my food plans, and noticed that previously when I wanted to have a special occassion meal I would drop my syns on the run up to it, go syn free on the day of it, and basically flexi-syn the treat - that is to say have the off-plan meal on-plan as it were. Doing that means I retain the structure and guidance of Slimming World, but don't run the risk of gorging myself all day long for no reason.

Whereas yesterday, and also on a couple of other occassions, I have just decided to come off plan altogether, and that is when my 'treat' becomes something entirely unacceptable.

This morning I am 18st 5¾lb, 5¼lb more than I was on the morning of my WI Tuesday. That's on average more than a lb on every day since then. Scary how quick I can undo all my hard work. I can't complain about the weight gain, it is no more than I deserve. In fact, I feel as though I have gotten away lightly as it could so easily have been more.

New day today. All my indiscretions are in the past. I have learned from them, developed my game plan, but I won't dwell on them.

I've just had my breakfast, Weetabix. I'm having my dinner at lunchtime which will be Quorn madras with pilau rice, and taking my 'lunch' to work with me to have later - savoury rice, boiled eggs, some fruit, etc. Back to the plan 100% no exception.

On Friday 19 March I am out for the day with guys from work to celebrate and enjoy the Cheltenham Gold Cup. We'll be in a pub from lunchtime through the evening. I am going to have breakfast before I leave for the pub, and have dinner at home after. Not sure about lunch yet, I imagine I will go without as I won't want to miss any of the races. I will take some on-plan snacky stuff that is easy and quick to eat to keep me going. Drinks wise I will be on vodka/diet coke as it is better syn-wise than lagers. I will be reducing my syn intake for the couple of days leading to it, and go syn free on the day except for the vodkas then back on plan properly again the next day.

Simples :)

:( *hugs* Good on you fro realising what you did was wrong. If I'm going to the cinema and know there'll be yummy things like popcorn and pic n mix I make sure I take something sweet along with me like some alpen light bars (my HEb) and a bottle of water/sugar free drink. That way although there is temptation I would feel stupid for wasting money on naughty food instead of eating what I brought with me.

Don't beat yourself up too much about this slip up and just learn from it. You don't 'take day's off' with SW, it is a healthy for life eating plan so enjoy the foods it offers instead of feeling restricted. You're definitely not alone in a blip day though :)

Hiya Dave

I'm a bit concerned that you're not doing enough exercise ;-) honestly where you get the energy from I've no idea!

Your chicken and baguette day sounds just like the days we used to have...it was all about food and more food, no wonder we all put weight on! I think you're strong enough to get over those days and back on plan but still think you should be careful of reverting to old habits. Luckily you're fit enough now to be able to burn it off with all the exercise, but I think you're much better working it into the plan by having less syns/eating superfree foods. I, of course, had a similar day this week so I'm hardly in a position to advise you haha! I didn't go over the top though, and was still in control of what I ate.

That's the negative comment over with, the positive of course is that you've now lost more than you still need to lose and that must feel fantastic. Very proud of you for getting the Biggest Loser (hehehe) award and for losing loads this week too. Who'd have thought you'd achieve so much in a short space of time. I need to keep motivated to make sure you don't start weighing less than me so I'm definitely keeping to plan lol.

Have a good week - hope to see you soon, miss you all xx

Hi all it's been a few days since I posted and I thought I had better post before my diary ended up on page two lol.

Everything has been going fine, I've been on plan 100%, been to the gym the last couple of days too. Today is the day I am playing around with my riding shoes and pedals and finally giving the new bike a go. The wife is looking forward to it, as she found out that with the SPD type pedals/shoes that clip together it is VERY likely I will come to a stop at some point, forget to unclip a foot, and fall over on my side. She wouldn't miss that for anything haha.

This morning I weighed in at 18 stone exactly! That is the weight I was on my wedding day July 2003 - and I came down to 18 stone for that so as soon as I break the 18 stone mark I am the lowest I have ever been since starting to lose weight all those years ago :)

I was comparing myself now to the photos of myself from my wedding day, and I look much better now. When losing weight for the wedding I did very little exercise so I was 18 stone of fat, whereas now I am as fit as a quite-fit fiddle, have muscle everywhere, and am leaner and a better shape too. There is of course still plenty of fat there, but a much higher percentage of muscle mass too making up the 18 stone.

In fact, I can't remember ever looking or feeling this good :)

Tomorrow is my day in the pub with the guys from work for the Cheltenham Gold Cup. I will be sticking to plan and having mainly non-synned food day today and tomorrow so that I can have my vodka and diet cokes within the plan. 25ml shot, topped up with diet coke for 2.5 syns, bargain :)

Happy St Paddy's Day for yesterday for any of my Irish friends.

ttfn ♥

Hi dave,

i always make sure i read your diary when i'm on mini-mins and just want to say how happy i am for you, i know you're an inspiration to alot of people myself included, so thanks :)

Flying visit ...

This morning I weighed in at 17st 13.75lbs, my first EVER weigh in under 18 stone since I started my first diets all those years ago :D:D:D

The best I did in the past was losing weight for my wedding day in July 2003. On the day I managed to get down to 18 stone dead (that is sooooooo yesterday ;)), and since then have only ever been above it.

I have been looking at photos from my wedding day, and I look much different now. I am leaner, my body is a different shape. When I lost weight for my wedding I did no exercise, whereas this time around I have obviously done loads! My theory is on my wedding day my 18 stone was mainly fat, whereas now it is part fat part muscle so I wear it better. Actually now I have typed that I'm not sure it makes any sense lol.

18 stone was the last goal I set myself, other than to get to goal weight which I'm still not sure what that will be. So I am going to think about some new goals :)

Today I am off swimming in a mo, then I am down the pub with some guys from work to enjoy the last day of the Cheltenham Festival. Come on Kauto Star!!

ttfn x

Thanks Teresa and Louise :)

I had a SUPERB day yesterday. Most of the guys I met up with were colleagues from my previous depot - which I left in December - and I haven't seen them face to face since. So they were all pretty amazed about the transformation in my size and shape. Great for the confidence :)

And that seemingly transpired to my success in the bookies as I caned them for a few £££, also won the poker we played afterward hehe.

I had used only 5 syns the day before, and 5 syns before getting there tomorrow, so I had 20 syns for vodka/diet cokes - meaning I could have 8. As it was I had only 6 anyway, then went onto the diet cokes. As soon as poker was mentioned I decided a clear head would be the best way forward lol.

The others all brought indian/kebab/etc into the pub to eat and were on crisps/peanuts all day too but I took a banana and a Alpen light bar and had those through the day, then had a bowl of savoury rice mixed with balti powder (yum) for supper when I got home. I was rewarded with a good weigh in this morning. Which is a good thing, or I may have thrown the scales out the window ;)

I'm off for two days now, weekly shop today, and I think an afternoon of eBay listings (free listing today and tomorrow!!), and tomorrow my friend Marie is coming over for a chinwag and lunch.

Enjoy the weekend, but not too much in terms of syns!

ttfn ♥

Back