Daz FINALLY has a food diary

Thanks Daz - it will make enough for tea on weds and leftovers for me for my dinner on Thurs. Nice and filling. When I make dumplings they are normally HUGE lol a bit of portion control wont hurt

Well even as 10 dumplings it is just under 6 so you can enjoy 2 with no worries, of course depending on the other syns of the day.

Well even as 10 dumplings it is just under 6 so you can enjoy 2 with no worries, of course depending on the other syns of the day.

This is true - I usually keep syns low or nil during the day and keep them for night time thats when I think my worst times are for snacking etc

This is true - I usually keep syns low or nil during the day and keep them for night time thats when I think my worst times are for snacking etc

Ive got into the habit of trying to keep 3 syns for hot chocolate at night. May seem a little excessive but when you think about it the concept actually helps to regulate the syns through the day as well, just to ensure there are enough left.

I will use anything to hand to help, especially now that i have restarted totally. Since Monday, 6 weigh ins, 6.2 lb gone. Feeling awesome about it all again.

Right, an exercise to overcome confusion. Somebody please explain to me what is wrong with this.

Yesterdays eats....

Breakfast

Cereal (HEb) @ 30g with fresh orange segments (free)

Lunch

Ham slices (free) with cherry tomatoes (free)
Jacket spud (free) with beans (free), Stilton (5 syns) and light mayo (0.5 syns)

Dinner

Stew (free) and 2 dumplings (8)
Muller light (free)

Others

1% Milk 300 ml for cereal and coffee or 1 x hot chocolate (3 syns) throughout the day (HEa)
Banana (free)
Apple (free)
100 ml extra milk for coffee (2 syns)

Cereal, been eating the same amount each day, with different fresh fruit, and have been losing weight for a week.
Stew, made with diced beef from the butcher (could this be the culprit, not certain it was lean?) and dumplings (I have heavily researched these)
The ham, listed to the nearest match on SW, says it is free, either from Sainsburys, Co Op or Tesco. Mine is from Asda but the same description and because it is not itself listed i have assumed it to be the same value.
My syns are slightly over target (18.5), but not by much. I will account for those in the next couple of days.

While doing this exercise it could well be that the beef in the stew is to blame. I bought it from the local butchers on Thursday and din't give it a second thought on it being lean. Grrrr. Stupid boy. The 3 bowls that I believed to be free food, or very little value syn wise, have crippled my good run. I think the rest needs to be frozen and kept for a once a week treat.

Will the fact that i ate late effect as well? It was gone 9.30 pm by the time i finished eating, and stood on scales at 6.30 this morning. I shall weigh again before breakfast and see what happens. God forbid it goes up more.

I am actually mortified that after all this time of being on this concept that i could make such a stupid and pathetic mistake. Really could kick myself, although im always open to offers should someone want to do that for me? :eek:

Just goes to show how writing things down can help.
Now, lets go and see if its ok to freeze dumplings.

Can you not calculate the stewing steak syns? I can't imagine that they would be high.

Did the meat look fatty? If not, I'm sure it would be pretty lean...

I cut the pieces in half before frying them off and didn't see an ounce of fat on it. If the beef is not to blame how the hell have i put on almost 4 lb overnight????? 3.5 syns would not do that.

Hmmmm I don't think it's the meat.

Did you drink lots yesterday? Maybe it's fluid? Maybe the food you had was a bit 'heavy' and could just be causing a bit if bloat before it passed fully?

1lb of fat is 12000 calories. I'm pretty certain that you never consumed that! Therefore I'd try and ignore it, carry on as normal today, and fingers crossed it beggars off as quickly as it came! x

Hmmmm I don't think it's the meat.

Did you drink lots yesterday? Maybe it's fluid? Maybe the food you had was a bit 'heavy' and could just be causing a bit if bloat before it passed fully?

1lb of fat is 12000 calories. I'm pretty certain that you never consumed that! Therefore I'd try and ignore it, carry on as normal today, and fingers crossed it beggars off as quickly as it came! x

Something i haven't eluded to with this new back to basics approach is that i am making a point of taking in liquid. Some say it helps. Not sure. As well as coffee and hot chocolate i have been marking off 4 pints of squash per day. It is no added sugar and listed as free so no different than water (cannot drink that much water). And again i have done that all week with only going down in weight. I really am totally confused.

Maybe it is that i ate late and weighed early, not sure. Otherwise i cannot see what on earth has happened.

I find when I weigh daily that the jumps up generally go back down within a couple of days and its often water retention because I have had too much salt or not drunk enough. .... I am pretty sure it takes longer than 24 hours for your body to fully process everything, You are doing really well Daz don't get disheartened!

I am just totally shocked that after an awesome week, for what seems like no good reason, i have rocketed back up again. So not happy. :badmood:

Were there any syns in the stew, I know you put free, but what did you use to thicken it, was there enough superfree in there?

That's the only thing I can think of, it looks a perfect SW food day.

Oh what's the cereal, I know you said it's the same as always but is it a hexb?

I didn't use anything to thicken it, wasnt needed. Stacks of veg and 7 hours on the hob allowed it to be a consistency i was happy with.

Cereal, as i have said, i have been eating last week with no issues, and when it was going well (before November) i was eating the same, so i am totally discounting that as an issue. It has to be the stew. The dumplings i have accounted for, they are a total of 8 syns, but i cannot say one way or the other if the meat can of done it.

Okie dokies, I know you said you were discounting the cereal it just a thought, clutching at straws:rolleyes:

i cannot see why something that has never been an issue before would suddenly create almost 4 lbs from one 30g sized portion?

Of course i could blame the scales, but wont, it matters not if they are right or wrong, as long as they are consistent, and i trust that they are. I may double check on the wii in a bit.

I think i just have to accept it and stop trying to dissect it. so annoyed, more so with the fact that i do not know why than the actual gain. This is exactly the reason why i have totally lost faith, i cannot get away from this weight no matter what the hell i do.

Daz! This is why weighing daily can be a problem! Even though I do it too, I have a "monitor your weight" app and can show you the graph that consistently goes downwards (albeit slowly but that's the best weight loss) but there's lots of blips in the upwards direction every now and then too.

We all go up and down, I seriously don't believe that what you ate yesterday is going to put on 4lbs of body fat overnight. I weighed 2lb more this morning than yesterday and the only thing different for me was that I woke up 3 hours earlier than usual. It could just be the weight of the unprocessed food you did say you had 3 bowls....

Don't lose faith Daz, if you sabotage yourself now after only 6 days you will just go backwards and hate yourself for it

You know you can do it :) x

I have no intention of going backwards, i have been at this for almost 10 months now, not just the 6 days of back to basics. I have lost over 3 stone, but i just cannot get past this poxy weight now. Surgery next, b******s to it.

Keep goin daz... uv done so well so far
hav u considered ur salt intake? Especially if uv used oxo cubes or stock in ur stew
I no from my own body that as i like alot of salt i retain water quite a bit. And theres a big difference in my weight daily dependin on how much salt ive had the day before - just a thought :)

Keep goin daz... uv done so well so far
hav u considered ur salt intake? Especially if uv used oxo cubes or stock in ur stew
I no from my own body that as i like alot of salt i retain water quite a bit. And theres a big difference in my weight daily dependin on how much salt ive had the day before - just a thought :)

i did season the stew but no more than normal.

I just cannot work out why something that has been working ok for me suddenly gets up and bites my ass. Ignoring the stint between November and my birthday 10 days ago, i did nothing different yesterday than at any other time. Why would the things i normally do suddenly change and have this effect in one day? It just does not make sense at all. There has to be another reason somewhere that i am totally unaware of. I know people are only trying to help, being that i have asked the question, but so far all of the things that have been suggested have been covered or taken care of in the way that i do things anyway. There is just no damned logic to it.

It has to be the meat in the stew. Or as has been mentioned with the amount of it i ate. When i say 3 bowls, it wasn't a bowl the size you would wash your dishes in, and to be fair it wasn't even full, just a medium sized ladle each time. But if the meat has to be syned for not being lean (even though there was no evidence of fat) then combined with over portioned then that could be it. (plus 1 and a half hours difference in weigh in time).

Im going to eat stew again today, that will see once and for all if thats what the problem is. haha. At least if it is i kill 2 birds, i resolve the problem, and i finish the stew and dumplings, job done.

Anyway, fresh coffee and a custard slice anyone? :D

Last edited:
Could have pointed out my (now edited) spelling mistake. I am sure strew would be a lot more fattening than stew. :8855:

Back